Chapter 4

The Affairs of an Heiress

I heard a bang on the door, “Miss Park!” Feeling Cap shift around rolling over and drape his hand on my thigh. Another bang came from the door, "MISS PARK! You must get up now." I yawned stretching out staring sleepily at the clock across the room. I mumbled to myself thinking of the conversation with my father the previous night. "12:00? Be at the office at 11:30. What time is it?" I looked at the clock again and gasped jumping out of bed tripping over my shoes. I jumped up and ran to the closet going through my clothes. Cap sat up rubbing his eyes, "what's wrong?"
"I have a meeting I have to go to. My dad's worker is here so just stay here and have breakfast with the family okay?" I said going through my drawers, "What the hell, where is my dress that my dad got me?!"
"Miss Park!" My fathers worker called once again from behind the door.
"I'm coming!" I called out, "Give me five minutes please."
"You want me to eat breakfast with your family?" Cap crossed his arms smiling leaning against the closet door frame, "What will mom say?"
I laughed shaking my head and put on my dress. I began to fix up my hair and face while I scurried back and forth between him, “She’ll ask you what you want. Gongchan is here too, just watch.”
"Okay, will she say those exact words?" He asked stepping aside for me as I rushed to put on some jewelry.
I laughed, "One dollar she says that and doesn't say jack to my father."
"You're on." He said lifting my chin kissing my lips.
I winked at him before heading out the door greeted by a man in a suit, "Miss Rikki, do you realize what time it is?" My father's personal driver Daniel said.
"Does it look like I don't have a clock?" I said in a sassy voice I put on for my father and his workers, "I apologize for being five minutes off schedule. Should we go?" I said hinting at my sarcasm as I walked ahead of him.

Don't get me wrong my sarcasm is less dangerous than my sisters sarcasm. I wouldn't mess with her when you get on her bad side, she can cut you deep with her words.

Daniel drove the car as I sat in the back, "Why did my dad send you? He doesn't trust me with time?"
"You know Mister Park, he's extra cautious." His eyes fixated onto the road.
"Interesting." I clicked my tongue squeezing my hand around my phone continuously, "What is this meeting about if you mind me asking?"
"Future merging business with a company from the states. Also an event that will be held in the mall."
"Thank you." I said leaning back into the chair.
Though I can be cold on the outside when it comes to running the business as a future CEO, I can say I'm nervous on the inside. Meetings have always terrified me because of the responsibly and on top attitude you must carry with you. But the most terrifying is press meetings and event speaking. A few minutes I saw the car slow down pulling off to the sidewalk, a tall building sparkled in the sun. Taking a deep breath I opened the car door and stepped out. "I suggest you hurry, it's 11:59." Daniel said stepping to the side.
"Just say 12 already." I said hurrying into the office building. The security guards smiled and the front desk managers bowed, "Good morning Miss Park."
"Morning lovelies." I smiled sweetly as the door to the elevator closed.

I fixed myself in the reflection and rearranging the strands of my hair. The doors opened and I took another deep breath before walking out. All I could hear was the busy assistants talking and the phones ringing while my heels clicked along the polished floors. The glass doors came into sight where it was filled with men and my father pacing back and forth, his arms crossed. Hopefully I wasn't gonna get chewed out for this one but I wasn’t counting my blessings. I pushed the cold glass door open to see all of them smile at me except for one, my father, "Ah now we can start the meeting." He smiled motioning the men to sit down.

Before I could sit my father pulled me by my arm, his back facing the others, "You're late. Didn't you remember what I told you from last night?"
"It's 12:01. Father please you seriously need to relax. Things go off schedule countless of times and the one time I'm late you're mad?"
"These men are here for a merging discussion, they don't like to wait."
I shrugged him off and looked towards the others, “Well why don't I ask?” I leaned against the table and placed my hands on the set of notes, "Is anyone mad or upset that I've been late for this meeting?"
The men looked around the table at each other whispering and shaking their heads. "No Miss Park we all are fine.”
"Thank you, I appreciate your patience." I looked at my father before clearing my throat, "So the event that will be held in the mall, what time is it being held?"
"It's in three weeks Miss Park." One of the event directors spoke up.
"Then we will discuss that last." I flipped through the papers to the merging layout, "Is this the proposal for the merge?”
"Yes." They all said. Before anyone could continue on the door was heard opening and everyone's eyes turned hearing hurried footsteps. A tall man walked in setting his things down and a man next to him whispered harshly. My father leaned in towards me, "That is Hayden Christensen, he's the future CEO of the company that would like to merge with us.” I looked at the man and nodded not wanting to hear anything my father had to say. All I wanted was for this meeting to be over with.

My father continued on, “His family is one of the prestigious families in the states. He is a little older than you, I believe he’s 22."
"It's not like you're setting me up for an arranged marriage father." I cleared my throat again scanning through the proposal, "So 'Transcend' company would like to merge with our company 'Adonis.'?" Everyone nodded their heads and they also scanned through the papers.
I said reading ahead, "Due to purposes of making both companies successful in the United States and introducing 'Transcend' to the east."
"Yes we would like to introduce our companies industry to Korea hopefully to spread across the Asian market." Mr. Christensen spoke aloud, "I'm sorry for the rude walk in my son is deeply apologetic towards you Miss Park."
"He walked in late there's nothing to apologize for." I said my eyes still on the papers.
"I apologize for not being on time." Hayden spoke up trying to meet eyes with me.
"The world doesn't run on perfect time. It's okay Mr. Christensen."
"Hayden if you must." He spoke up again.
"No formalities?" I met eyes with him and raised an eyebrow, "I see you haven't been to Korea for long. This country runs on formalities, if you must.” The room got quiet and I gave him a sharp look, “Your presentation Mr. Christensen.”
Some of the businessmen readjusted their ties or squirmed in their seats. Hayden looked down smiling as if he accepted a challenge "Yes Miss Park."

I leaned back into my chair staring at him as he arranged his boards adjacent to me. "So as you may know ‘Transcend,’ is also a fortune five hundred company like yours Miss Park.” He began his presentation slide. Making direct eye contact with me, he continued talking, “We believe by combining these two in the states we will become trailblazers in the industry.” Listening I nodded keeping my stern and expressionless face on him. Hayden’s voice was drowning from my sense of hearing when I began spazzing. I felt a buzzing under my thigh, which pulled me out of my daydream. I looked around to see if anyone was watching but all eyes were on Hayden, but his eyes were only on mine. Slowly pulling out my phone I looked down at the screen filled with a bunch of messages from my sister.

"Hina: DUDE DUDE DUDE I NEED HELP YOU NEED TO COME TO THE MODELING OFFICE NOW."

"Hina: you need to be there man. I need some support. Not really support but maybe like a favor you know?"

"Hina: please! I'll explain it to you when you get here. But YOU NEED TO COME TO THE OFFICE MEETING ASAP."

I scrolled through the messages and replied, "I'm in a meeting right now. Can't you postpone it for another hour?" My father tapped his hand on the table grabbing my attention. I sighed softly and put my phone back under my thigh trying to listen to Hayden.

The next hour I sat listening to Hayden as the other businessmen asked questions and slid in there opinions. Hayden answered them smoothly and went through his whole presentation. Finally it was over and everyone clapped, he smiled proudly and nodded his head then looked at me for an answer. I nodded my head silently taking in the information he had presented, "I suggest we don't make any permanent deals just yet but we go through this slowly and observe how things go."
“That sounds like a plan.” Hayden smiled at me.
"We both might be fortune five hundred companies we still don't know if combining will bring us down or bring us up. Is that okay with you Mr. Christensen?" I looked at Hayden's father.
"Yes Miss Park, I agree with what you have to say. So we will be seeing more of each other in the near future." Hayden said speaking for his father.
"Most definitely. Well if no one has anything else to say should we say this meeting is adjourned?"
All the men nodded their heads in agreement smiling.


"That was a success." My father rubbed my shoulders smiling, "you're making me proud."
He was about to say more until Mr. Christensen had walked up to him smiling and shaking his hand, "Your daughter is definitely going to be a prominent person that will be making her mark soon in your company, you must be proud."
I smiled only in politeness at the remark and looked up to see Hayden's eyes on me. He bowed his head towards my father and walked over to me smiling, "Miss Park, it's nice to finally meet you." He held his hand out.
I raised an eyebrow looking at him, “You've heard about me?”
“Yes we’ve been talking to your father for months now.” He replied shaking my hand.
I gave another fake smile, "Well then it's nice to meet you as well Mr. Christensen."
"I'm not my father. Please call me Hayden."
"I'm not my mother but people still call me Miss Park." I smiled with a small hint of sarcasm deep down, "Thank you for presenting for your company. I'm sure we will come to an agreement soon."
"You're funny." He slid his hands into his pockets, "are you all about business?"
"Why yes, this is a business office isn't it?"
"But the business meeting is over, why don't we go out for lunch? My treat if you don't mind." He said nodding his head towards the door.

I raised my eyebrow, I know this man isn't trying to go anywhere with this relationship I thought to myself. "I'm sorry if you're trying to drop any hints like how I think you are, I suggest you stop. I already have a…”
My father interrupted me, “Why don't you come join us for lunch and dinner?”
"I'd love to Mr. Park, thank you for the invitation." Hayden smiled.
"Miss Park it's an honor to meet you. Your father talks very highly of you on the phone and I can see why." Hayden’s father came over and smiled at me.
"Thank you sir. I'm sorry that I will have to decline your offer for lunch today, I have another meeting I must attend to." I bowed to him.
His face had turned worried and he looked at Hayden, then back to me, “How about dinner?”
"I must decline that offer as well." I nodded sternly, "So sorry to leave a first impression of me like this."
"Why must you decline the dinner offer?" My father looked at me with sharp eyes.

I already knew this look, if I don't go to this dinner then I'll be chewed out later at home about being something that was bothering my father.

"I must decline this offer due to other plans that I've been invited to prior to this meeting."
"Excuse us for a moment." My father took me to the corner, "If you think you're going to another party tonight you must be out of your mind." His voice churning with his bubbling annoyance.
"I'm out of my mind." I laughed agreeing to what he had to say.
His eyes turned darker and so did his tone, "Yah this meeting and dinner are linked together you know. I want you there Rikki you can't skip out on your responsibilities.” I rolled my eyes once more but my father continued on ignoring me, “Mr. Christensen has taken a liking to you and I must say his son has also taken a liking to you as well. You two should get to know each other and maybe…”
"Maybe what?!" I whispered harshly, "don't try anything. I am not into this polo wearing sweater around the shoulders frat boy. You know I'm already dating someone."
"Oh good lord." My father massaged his temple, "Cap this and Cap that. You need to start growing up and letting go of your high school life. Get into the real world and get into real men.” He lowered his voice to help him from not yelling, “These parties every weekend with your rich friends will stop soon, I know their parents and they are getting strict on them as well. But if you keep hanging around with this rebel without a cause then you will be taken down with him. I as your father will surely not let that happen. Do you understand me?"
"Minsoo."
"What?" My father furrowed his eyebrows.
"His name is Minsoo and he's the most responsible person I know out of my group of friends. Least he's good enough to show he's not a full on goody two shoes like the rest of them."

My father quiet and his mouth slightly dropped as he couldn't find words to say. I looked at him and dropped my head, "I know you're trying to buckle me down for my future but please just let me live for now." I looked down and sighed before walking away and bowed to the Christensens. I stepped into the elevator and pressed the lobby button leaning against the railing I lowered my head clicking my heels. The doors were closing until a loud bang hit the door causing me to jump. I looked up to see Hayden holding the door open and stepping inside pressing the close button. He rested his bottom on the railing and crossed his arms with a slight smile on his face. I felt him looking at me and avoided any eye contact. He kept quiet looking up at the mirrors above us.

When the elevator doors opened I walked out first, "Miss Park?" The receptionist called for me.
I walked over to the desk and smiled, "Hello Hayi~"
"Hello." She smiled back and then turned to look at the person standing next to me. Hayden bowed his head and winked at her before smiling at me.
"Can I help you?" Hayi asked looking at him tilting her head.
"Oh no I'm waiting for my passenger." He said looking at me and then to the people that were walking in the lobby.
"What's up Hayi?" I rolled my eyes returning my attention to her.
"Hina really needs you at the modeling agency immediately. Would you like me to call Daniel or your driver?"
Hayden butted into the conversation while he still looked at his phone, “I’ll be driving her.”
"I'll be driving myself. Thank you for letting me know Hayi. See you at the party tonight?" I smiled.
"Yes definitely." She smiled.

I scoffed at Hayden and walked towards outside hearing him chuckle, so I turned around facing him with a glare, "Is there some type of reason you're following me?"
"You need a ride?"
"I have my own ride." I said nodding to the red Huracan that pulled up to the sidewalk, "Thanks for asking Mr. Christensen."
"Hayden." He put his phone into his pocket, "Don't you have a dinner to go to tonight?"
"Don't YOU have a dinner to go to tonight?" I grabbed the keys from the valet.
Another sports car pulled up behind mine and Hayden took the keys from the valet that exited the car, “I'm not going if you're not.” 
Walking to the drivers side I laughed wryly, "Thanks for the offer but I have a boyfriend to catch up with."
Hayden still had a small smile on his face nodding playfully. I opened the door and stepped inside my car closing the door when I heard Hayden say, "It's only on the weekends."
"Excuse me?" I replied looking out the window at him leaning on his car.
"I only wear polo shirts on the weekend or when I'm vacation." He smiled. I stared at him trying not to let the disbelief cover my face.

I turned back and buckled my seatbelt, how did he overhear us talking? Was I really talking that loud? Or did my father talk to him about? I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I jumped holding chest hearing my ringtone blast and buzz in the cup holder, I answered it, "Hello?"
"YAH HURRY UP. I postponed the meeting and it's gonna start soon." Hina said on the other end.
"Sorry I got carried away with some other business at the office."

A car's engine growled by my open window and hand was stuck out of the moon roof waving in my direction as it zoomed off down the street.

"Uhm earth to . Hello?!" Hina raised her voice on the other end.
"Okay okay! Chill out." I hung up driving off to her office.