[Romantic Tension] Who Said I Was Confessing To You?

DaeJae Shorts

Daehyun hadn't been his normal self. He'd been as loud and obnoxious as usual, so it wasn't anything serious, but he'd become standoffish towards some of the members.

In fact, it was two very specific members.

“Daehyun.” Youngjae leaned over where the older boy sat on the sofa and snatched the TV remote out of his hands.

“Hey! Give that back!” the older vocalist turned sharply, arm extended.

“Nope! We're talking now. No TV.” The younger hit the power button, dropped the remote to the floor and kicked it under the sofa.

Daehyun spread his hands out in disbelief, brow knotted in irritation.

“Now that I have your attention, you can tell me why you're being weird.” Youngjae sat on the floor in front of the TV and crossed his arms.

“You're the one being weird, or is kicking stuff under furniture normal now and I missed the memo?”

“Stop whining, I'll get it back for you later and you can keep watching whatever crap is on. You're being weird to me and Junhong. Is this about that whole proposal thing?”

“No. What are you even talking about? What proposal thing? None of this matters, just go away.” Daehyun waved a hand and refused to look at the younger boy.

“Seriously? It's bothered you that badly? Daehyun, you know I was messing around.” When the older boy continued to ignore him, he tried again. “I wasn't trying to embarrass you, but you were being so ridiculous I couldn't help it.”

“If you're planning to apologise then do it, otherwise I'm not interested.”

“I'm not going to apologise. Why would I? I haven't done anything wrong!”

With a frustrated sigh, Daehyun pushed himself off the sofa and went to leave the room. Before he could take more than a few steps, however, the younger threw his hands out and grabbed him by the ankles.

“Get off-” he started to growl, before a sharp yank pulled him down. He grabbed the side of the sofa just in time to slow his fall. “Youngjae, what the hell-” he was once again cut off as the younger crawled over and sat on his thighs, holding him down.

“Are you going to talk to me now?”

Daehyun looked away, fighting the rising blush. “Get off me,” he mumbled.

“Nah, I'm good here. I'll probably get comfy and stick around until you grow up and talk to me like an adult and not storm off like a child.”

“You're sitting on me and you expect me to be the one to act mature?”

“I tried talking to you rationally and you didn't respond. Now come on, spit it out. Why is me pretending to propose to Junhong such a problem to you?”

“It wasn't that you chose Junhong...” Daehyun mumbled.

“Then what?” Youngjae raised an eyebrow.

Daehyun's face contorted a little and he briefly considered shoving the other off, but knew it would be useless. “You avoided me. You deliberately didn't choose me. It didn't matter to you who you picked as long as it wasn't me.”

“You were being so pushy about it,” Youngjae rolled his eyes in exasperation, “of course I was going to pick someone else. I'm allowed to mess around with the others, you know.”

“But I wanted-” Daehyun started, before snapping his mouth shut and scowling.

“Wanted what?”

There was a long silence, older refusing to continue and younger waiting patiently.

“It doesn't matter. Let me go.”

“It does matter,” Youngjae insisted, “what did you want?”

The older boy's face slowly coloured red.

“What is up with you?” the younger laughed, “Come on, just talk.”

“I wanted.... To be the one you proposed to.”

“Well obviously,” Youngjae kept laughing, not quite picking up on what Daehyun was saying, “I got that from the way you kept standing up. You can't have all the spot light all the time. Don't be so demanding.”

“It wasn't about the spot light...” Daehyuns voice was uncharacteristically small.

Youngjae frowned down at the older vocalist, but his expression soon softened. “Daehyun...” He sighed and reached out to the boy beneath him and fixed his hair with gentle fingers.

“I never know where I stand with you,” he mumbled, closing his eyes at the feeling of his hair being touched.

“You don't stand anywhere until you make a decision,” Youngjae replied, smoothing his hair out, “Don't expect me to be the one to make the first move.”

With that, he gave Daehuyn's cheek a gentle pat and pushed himself off his thighs. Daehyun remained on the floor, watching the other vocalist walk away. Youngjae threw one last glance his way, a small smile on his lips, before vanishing into another room.

Daehyun reached his hands up and covered his face. Youngjae was just going to keep playing these games until he did something. Until he made the first move.

Trying to date someone shouldn't be this hard, he thought to himself as he lay on the floor.