[Fluff] The Dark of the Night

DaeJae Shorts

Night darkened the world like an inkstain and trapped Youngjae in the only orange smear beneath a street light. Walking home at night was always awful – the night life of a city could be hell – but somehow it was worse when the streets were empty. The alley ways were so shadowed they could have hidden an entire army.

This was what made Youngjae nervous. The idea of someone lurking between dark walls, watching his every move, hand wrapped firmly around a knife handle or a finger steady on the trigger of a gun. The hairs on his body raised as a tingle of fear swept over him. He pulled his bag a little closer to himself, took a deep breath, and took a few steps outside of the immediate glow of the light.

It wasn't far until he reached the next light. Only a small block of darkness between the safe zones. He just had to get across as fast as he could without drawing attention to himself.

He was in the mid point now, as far as he could be from either source of light, the darkest space, the most vulnerable he could be.

Something grabbed his hand and he flinched, letting out a short yelp.

“Hey! It's just me,” came a familiar voice from his side.

“Oh my God, Daehyun, where did you come from?” Youngjae wheezed out, heart still racing.

“Down the alley. I thought you'd seen me because you'd been looking my way the whole time.” Daehyun grinned at him and laced their fingers together.

“No, I didn't see you. Next time just call my name or something, don't sneak up on me.” They were under the next light now, both bathed in the warm light.

“Maybe next time I'll pretend to mug you,” Daehyun teased.

“Do that and I will break your ribs and leave you for the rats,” Youngjae threatened.

The older laughed heartily, unphased by the entirely sincere tone and murderous gaze Youngjae was giving him. He couldn't help but make a joke at this sort of thing, though he'd never actually do it. “You can't stay mad at me, Jae~” he batted his eyelashes innocently.

“You would be amazed at the expanse of my fury.”

“Naaah.” He leaned in and gave the younger a quick peck on the cheek, revelling in the way he pouted and looked away.

“Just walk home with me and stop messing about,” he mumbled. Youngjae couldn't say it, not with the way Daehyun was teasing him, but he felt infinitely more safe with the older at his side leading him home.