[Blind Painter AU] Canvas

DaeJae Shorts

Requested by snoWhite_ "Daehyun would secretly observe Youngjae, a blind artiste working in an art shop? You can make Daehyun as a normal office worker lol. They fell in love at some point"

This probably isn't exactly what you were imagining but this is what happened haha I ended up writing over 4k words OOPS.


Paint caressed the canvas in long, measured , the brush making a quiet hissing sound as it dragged over the rough texture. Each dip back into the paint was carefully calculated, free hand touching the ridge of the tin for guidance. The floor had a large sheet thrown across it to catch the drips of paint that fell from the brush and dribbled down the side of the tin. Around the large room were displayed wide canvases, all covered in abstract patterns,the paint shaped and textured.

The artist hummed as he painted, ignoring the drips of paint that landed on his apron and the smears on his hands from touching the tins. As he painted, the design reflected in the dark glasses balanced on his gently curved nose. Behind the lenses his long eyes gazed sightlessly, unfocussed. Soft hair had been scraped back under a cloth to avoid getting dirty

Daehyun watched silently from outside the art gallery window, holding his folder tightly in his hands. There wasn't anything beautiful or inspiring in them, just documents and spreadsheets and a printed powerpoint. But there was something beautiful in there. Something truly incredible that made him stop for a moment on his walks home.

He took a breath and reached out to push the door open for the first time since he'd started this job several months ago. A bell chimed to indicate his entering and he paused as the artist tilted his head towards him, brush stilled.

“Hello?”

“Uh, hi.” Daehyun swallowed nervously. “I came to look at your paintings.”

“Have a look then,” the painter replied and continued with what he was doing.

Daehyun nodded, forgetting that the painter couldn't see, and slowly walked around. He admired the blends of colour and shape, some bright and clashing, others muted, some that seemed to make shapes and others that were shapeless. Some had thin, flat paint that was perfectly even, and others were thickly textured to build sculptures from the colours. He raised a hand to touch one, amazed by the needle thin spikes that had been formed, but stopped himself. He'd probably break it,

After walking around slowly his eyes settled on a plaque by one particularly interesting painting. It was titled 'The Book', with a date and the name of the artist.

“You're Yoo Youngjae?” He asked.

“I'd hope so, that's what it says on all my work,” The painter, Youngjae, replied.

“Why did you start painting? Was it before...” He trailed off awkwardly.

“Before what? Before I lost my sight?” Youngjae laughed a little. “No, I lost my sight when I was a child. I have memories of colours and a few things but mostly nothing. No... I started painting because I couldn't see other peoples paintings.”

Daehyun gave him a confused expression. “What?”

A smirk tugged at Youngjae's lips. “I went to a school for children with different disabilities. In art class I was usually sculpting, but honestly I was terrible at it, but there were children painting. I couldn't even appreciate their art. I felt really left out, so I decided if I can't look at paintings I'll at least make them.”

Daehyun was silent for a moment, amazed. “Do you like your paintings?”

“I don't know.” Youngjae laughed a little and put his paintbrush down. “I can't see them. But other people seem to like them.”

Daehyun walked over to look at the finished canvas. “I like them,” he said.

“Good. Are you going to buy one?”

He blinked. “I don't know.”

“You don't know? You like them, so you should buy one.”

Daehyun hummed. “Maybe.”

Youngjae tutted and picked up a cloth to wipe his hands. “Maybe doesn't pay my bills.”

“If I see one I like enough to buy, I'll buy it.”

“You'll have to come here a lot.”

“I walk past every day on my way back from work. I'll come in every time you put something new up and see how I feel.”

Youngjae hummed. “A challenge. Which of my paintings do you like the most right now?”

“Huh?” He scratches his neck awkwardly. “The Book I guess.”

Youngjae nodded. “I'll remember that.”

“For what?”

“Making something you'll like.”

He sighed. “Honestly I don't really have that much money...”

“So start saving.” Youngjae smirked and stood, sealed all the tins and began to gather everything up. “What's your name?”

“Daehyun.”

“Got a family name, Daehyun?” Youngjae asked with some amusement.

He couldnt help pouting a little. “It's Jung.”

“Well Jung Daehyun I expect to see you back here soon,” he said from behind a tower of tins.

“Do you want any help?” Daehyun asked uncertainly.

“No thank you. I know where everything is and if you start picking things up I'll get confused. I need to clear away properlyso I can put the canvas out back to dry.”

Daehyun nodded. “I'll head home. I'll come back in soon.”

“Don't waste my time~” Youngjae called back as he headed towards the back door.

Daehyun sighed and shook his head, before leaving the building.

 

He found himself inside the gallery a week later, where the new canvas and several others had been hung up.

“Any new favourites?” Youngjae asked as he set up his canvas, tins in muted colours laid out in their places.

“This one is interesting,” Daehyun replied, staring at a painting with a thick textured border layered with colours, and a completely blank middle.

“You're going to have to tell me it's name.”

Daehyun quickly glanced down at the plaque. “It's called A Window.”

“Ah that.” Youngjae nodded.

“It looks more like a frame than a window. You can't see anything through it.”

“That would be because I can't see through windows.”

Daehyun blinked. “Oh. Yeah, right. I guess windows aren't that great for you.”

“Cold glass? Unless it's the patterned ones with all the bumps and the metal patterns, then no. Not really.”

He hummed and nodded. There was a lot more he was going to have to take into consideration.

 

“This,” Daehyun said thoughtfully, “is a very good one.”

The painting in front of him was of a very thick reddish brown ring, the centre of which was filled with textured spikes of bright red, green, yellow and black mixed together. The background was painted a soft green that slowly faded the further away from the ring it went.

“Daehyun.”

“Oh, right. It's called Loose Leaf.” He frowned. “Is this supposed to be tea? I don't think I've ever had tea that tasted that good.”

Youngjae's brush paused. “Really?”

“A lot of it tastes watery to me.”

Youngjae frowned, set his brush down, and stood. “That's not right. Follow me.”

Daehyun opened his mouth to ask, but Youngjae was already taking his apron off and the cloth around his head. Thick waves of brown hair fell about his face and Daehyun was silenced. Instead he mutely followed the painter into the back room, unsure what to expect.

To his surprise, though he should have guessed, there was a small wooden table and a mat to sit on, with a large solid teapot in the centre and a stack of small teacups. There was a gentle smell of spices and warmth coming from the teapot. Either side of the table were two large sitting cushions, both blue but one round and the other square. The square cushion seemed well worn.

“Sit on the round cushion,” Youngjae instructed as he made his way around the room, one hand touching the surfaces until he settled on the opposite side of the table on the square cushion.

Daehyun did as he was told, adjusting his legs to fit beneath the low table. “You keep a personal tearoom back here?”

“I like tea. It's simple to make and there's a lot of flavours,” Youngjae explained, setting the cups out.

Daehyun watched, interested, as the painter lifted the pot with one hand and used the other to line the spout with the edge of the cup. He seemed to focus carefully, as if listening to the tea pouring into the cup, before knowing when to stop the flow.

“Drink.”

Daehyun looked down at the deep green tea and lifted it slowly. He hummed a little before lifting it to his lips. Even before he tasted it the smell of ginger and pepper filled his senses. The first sip burned the tip of his tongue, but the hints of cinnamon didn't go unnoticed. “Wow,” he said, lowering the cup, “that tastes a lot better than the stuff I've had in packets.”

Youngjae nodded and smirked. “Even an idiot knows a well brewed Rooibos is better than that manufactured crap.”

Daehyun bit his lip and pouted.

“Have you just been neglecting your taste buds all this time? Treat yourself to nice flavours.”

He couldn't keep the offended tone out of his voice. “I'll have you know I am very much a foodie and I only ever have nice flavours.”

“Oh really?” Youngjae raised an eyebrow. “Do you make it yourself?”

Daehyun wavered. “Sometimes. I'm not that good a cook, but I know all the best places to eat out in town, as well as all the best take-aways.”

Youngjae hummed. “I don't really get take-away. None of them provide braille menus. Anyway it's always sloppy.”

“What?” Daehyun half cried, indignantly, before he caught himself. “Listen, I won't let you miss out on good food. Next time I come in, it'll be before closing so you'll have plenty of time to try all the good food you're missing out on!”

Youngjae sighed and sipped his tea, obviously exasperated. “If you want to, but I can guarantee I'll think it tastes like plastic.”

 

As it turned out, with Daehyun sat smugly eating from his own bowl, Youngjae did not find the food plastic-tasting at all.

“Okay, It doesn't taste... Terrible,” Youngjae admitted, dipping a piece of naan into the tub of madras. “I've definitely had better when I've been to a restaurant.”

Daehyun rolled his eyes. “It's not better, it's just different. This place does the best stuff – no where can beat their samosas!”

“Okay. Fine. You've convinced me that this one, specific place is worth getting food from.”

“Nope!” Daehyun laughed and set a paper bag on the table. “I've brought some tacos and quesadillas from the best Mexican place, as well as sushi AND some fishcakes from my favourite stand.”

“This is a lot of food...”

Daehyun blinked. “Huh? No this is hardly anything. I'm probably going to grab a burger from the joint by my apartment after this.”

“Are you actually human?” Youngjae asked, halfway between concern and amazement.

“Hey! It's not that much!”

“Come here and let me look at your face, I want to know your human,” Youngjae reached his hands out.

“Wha-?”

“Let me touch your face, idiot.”

He looked at Youngjae's curious fingers, unsure, before leaking forwards until the painter could reach him. Instantly Youngjae's fingers explored his face, mapping out the shape of his nose and mouth, tracing over his cheekbones and around his eyes, over his forehead and along his jaw.

“Um,” He said after a few awkwardly silent minutes of facing his face touched.

“Hm. Human after all.” Youngjae concluded and pulled his hands away. “You just really like food.”

“Uh, yeah, anyone could have told you that. You didn't need to my face.”

Youngjae shrugged and bit into a fishcake. “I was curious.”

“What? Wanted to know if I was handsome or not?” Daehyun smirked.

“Yeah. Shame. You're only a five at best.”

Daehyun spluttered indignantly as Youngjae laughed.

 

“What's your favourite this week?”

The Night Sky,” Daehyun replied. He was stood in front of it with a cup of fruity tea in his hand, admiring the purple washy background and pale yellow and blue spikes of paint. “Though I think whoever told you what colours the sky is, was messing with you.”

“No one told me. I painted it from memory,” Youngjae replied from behind his canvas.

Daehyun glanced over. “From memory?”

“Yeah. It's one of the few things I remember seeing. Maybe the colours changed in my mind, or maybe the sky changes colour a lot, but I remember the sky was dark purple and the stars were so bright, their colour changing all the time.”

Daehyun nodded and sipped his tea slowly. It amazed him how much Youngjae worked with memory of colour to paint the world around him. “Do you do anything beside painting? You know, in your free time?”

Youngjae paused and hummed. “I listen to the radio, I read...I used to go to the gym but I honestly couldn't be bothered to keep it up. I like trying new teas and cooking... Mostly I paint.”

“So you don't go out much?”

“My friends take me to our local ramen restaurant now and then, or we get drinks. But mostly if I go out it's for a walk around the local park.”

Daehyun frowned. “You should get out more, try new places.”

Youngjae hummed. “Fine. Take me out somewhere.”

“What?”

“You're the foodie, aren't you? Take me somewhere you think the food is good. If I'm going to paint something you'll buy, I might as well get to know your tastes.”

He huffed. “Fine. How's this weekend?”

“I'm free. There's my phone number on my business cards. Call me when you've sorted it all out.”

 

He couldn't help feel a little pressure as he sat in a booth in his favourite restaurant with Youngjae sat opposite. Youngjae had insisted Daehyun order for both of them via his recommendations. Considering the guy drank fancy teas with subtle spices and hints of herbs, he was starting to worry his tastes weren't so refined.

Youngjae, however, seemed quite happy where he was sat with his cane resting against his leg. Daehyun had worried that it might be a bit toonoisy or crowded, but Youngjae seemed happy with the atmosphere and the music that played in the background. He'd dressed comfortably for the occasion, with a long black cardigan, a wide-collared t-shirt and jeans. His hair had been brushed in a sweeping fringe with the usual dark lenses balanced on his nose. It was overall a very attractive look.

“Do you come here a lot?” Youngjae asked after tasting his drink and nodding a little, as though approving.

“Uh, only sometimes.”

“Why? I thought it was your favourite place.”

“It is! But it's nice here and I don't always have a reason to go.”

“Who says you need a reason?”

Daehyun opened his mouth to answer, but couldn't quite form a decent explanation for the various reasons before their food was set down before them.

“Ah, smells good!” Youngjae said, picking up his cutlery.

“It always does,”Daehyun smiled, feeling encouraged by Youngjae's response. He paused, just before he dug into his own food, to watch the other begin eating, waiting.

“It's good!” Youngjae decided after swallowing his mouthful.

Daehyun grinned. “Told you!” He shoved food into his mouth eagerly, delighted to be eating his favourite food.

“How do you find all the places you like anyway?”

Daehyun hummed around a mouthful of food. “Sometimes my friends work in them, sometimes it was recommendation.... Most of the time I just spot somewhere and decide to check it out.”

“Is there anywhere you haven't been?”

“Hmm, there's a French place I came across a few weeks ago I was thinking of checking out.”

“We should go there next?”

Daehyun paused, food halfway to his mouth. “Huh?”

“You have good taste, I'm sure you'll find something nice on the menu.”

“So I'm taking you places now, am I?”

“You're always in my gallery drinking my tea, might as well go around your haunts and eat food.”

“Is this going to inspire you to paint a picture I'll buy?” Daehyun raised an eyebrow.

“Oh definitely.”

 

Their trips to various places did seem to have an effect on Youngjae's art. Daehyun found himself choosing two or even three paintings as his favourites as the weeks went on. Something in them seemed more vibrant, more alive than before.

“You know,” Daehyun said as he watched Youngjae hum tunefully as he painted, “When I first met you, you seemed kinda smug, but now I realise you're just a fun, cute guy.”

Unexpectedly, Youngjae's face turned red. “What are you even saying?”

Daehyun blinked. “What's with that response? I like it.”

Youngjae's face went redder. “Shut up, I'm trying to paint.”

Amusement crossed Daehyun's features and he sidled over to stand by the painter. “You've never had trouble with me talking before. In fact, you're the only person I've met who's not annoyed by it.”

“Maybe I am and I don't say it.”

“Nah you're not. You like me talking.”

“I'll admit it. You're annoying.”

“I think you like the sound of my voice~”

Youngjae flicked his paintbrush at him. “Go away!”

Daehyun jumped back and laughed as he saw the orange splatters on his top. “If this doesn't wash out I'll make you buy me a new one.”

“Whatever,” Youngjae grumbled.

“How about I take you out somewhere nice this weekend?”

“Oh wow, you've never done that before.” Youngjae's voice was layered in sarcasm.

“I mean really nice. Like fancy nice.”

“Why would you do that?”

“For a date.”

Youngjae froze. “A date? Why would I go on a date with you?”

“Because you like my voice~”

Youngjae's ears burned.

He laughed. “It's not a lot different to what we normally do. Come on~ go on a date with me~”

Youngjae huffed. “Fine. But you're not getting any free art.”

“I'm not going to date you for free art.”

“Good because you're not getting any.”

 

Despite his attitude, Youngjae had clearly made an effort for the date. His hair was combed neatly to one side, and his skin glowing. He'd dressed in neat black trousers and a fitted t-shirt with a silk cardigan, lenses swapped for a pair that were slightly more stylish. Daehyun was impressed.

Once again,Youngjae had asked Daehyun to order everything. He seemed less tense, though a little bit nervous. Daehyun couldn't help but find it cute.

“Try the wine,” He said when the bottle was brought over.

Youngjae hummed as a small amount was poured into his glass and carefully lifted it to his lips. His eyebrows peaked, surprised. “This is nice.”

“Like you said, I have good taste.” Daehyun grinned.

When their food arrived, Youngjae was equally impressed. As he bit into the first mouthful he let out a happy noise. “How do you always know what's good?”

“Well, while you were trying to work out my tastes in paintings, I was working out your tastes in flavours.” Daehyun grinned.

Youngjae's face went pink. “So you're obsessed with me then?”

“You're the one trying to paint something I'll buy.”

“Ah but that gets me money. This loses you money.”

Daehyun laughed. “I don't mind spending money on things that make you smile.”

Youngjae's face went pinker.

Daehyun loved it.

 

At the end of the meal Youngjae was a little tipsy and had been happily chatting the whole evening, hair slowly falling out of place. Daehyun hadn't mentioned it, finding the gentle scruffiness charming.

“Walk me home?” Youngjae said as they stepped out.

“As long as you know that way.”

The painter scoffed. “Of course I do.” He reached out and grabbed Daehyun's arm, settling him on his left hand side.

They walked in peace for some time, the cool evening breeze ruffling their hair. The streets were mostly quiet, too late for people to be heading home, too early to be heading out for the night. The smell of food wafted from the various restaurants they passed until they reached the suburbs. The only time either spoke was Daehyun briefly commenting that it was a nice evening, and Youngjae humming in response.

They stopped outside a small house and Youngjae guided them to the door and found his keys, then carefully unlocked the door. He paused and turned a little to face Daehyun.

“I had a nice evening.”

Daehyun smiled. “Yeah, me too.”

“I wouldn't mind another one sometime.”

Daehyun felt his heart race. “Yeah! I'll find somewhere else you'll definitely love!”

A small smile crossed Youngjae's lips, and he seemed about to step in before he paused again. He reached out until his fingers met Daehyun's face, and he settled the palm of his hand against his cheek. He leaned in and placed a quick kiss to his other cheek. “Thank you.”

Daehyun's face burned and his heart hammered. “I- uh- Y-yeah.”

Youngjae's smile widened, amused. “Get home safe. Good night, Daehyun.”

“Right! Yeah, good night!”

Youngjae turned away from him and stepped inside, barely hiding his light laugh, leaving Daehyun flustered on the doorstep.

 

Youngjae was a little more smug when Daehyun went back to the gallery. He had a new canvas in front of him and was carefully measuring out distances between colours with his hand.

“Got a favourite?” Youngjae asked.

Daehyun hummed. “I like most of them. Your paintings are really... Alive, these days. They seem happy.”

Youngjae hummed. “Maybe you're just learning how to appreciate art better?”

Daehyun rolled his eyes and watched him paint, admiring the way his hands remained steady as he trailed thick lines across the canvas.

“You've gone quiet. What are you doing?” Youngjae asked suspiciously.

“Nothing! I'm just watching.”

“Watching what?”

“You.”

Youngjae frowned, cheeks heating up a little. “You're so embarrassing. Are you obsessed with me?”

“Yeah, a little bit.” Daehyun grinned.

The painter huffed and raised a hand to brush a few loose hairs back under his hair cloth. His thumb, covered in paint, smeared a little trail of yellow across his cheek.

Daehyun snorted.

“What?”

“You've got a little...”

“A little what?” Youngjae asked, irritated.

“Here, let me.”

Daehyun walked over and picked up the cloth the painter used to clean his hands, then carefully went to wipe the paint away. At first, Youngjae flinched away from his touch, but then leaned back in and let him clean his face. As he went to pull the cloth away, Youngjae grabbed his wrist.

“Hey... Have you ever... Painted anything?”

Daehyun blinked. “What?”

“Have you?”

“Uh...No?”

“Come here.” Youngjae pulled his arm until Daehyun was forced awkwardly between his legs, sat on the stool facing the canvas.

“Uh?”

“Give me your hand.” Youngjae took hold of Daehyun's hand and placed the paintbrush in it, then held his hand from behind. “Close your eyes.”

“Okay...” Daehyun swallowed. Youngjae was pressed close to his back and his hand was delicate and warm against his own. His heart was hammering and he wondered if the other could feel it. He closed his eyes and immediately felt vulnerable.

“Paint gently,” Youngjae whispered, and guided his hand to move the brush against the canvas. “Let your other senses know where you've painted before.”

Daehyun tried not to shiver a little as they painted long, sweeping lines across the canvas. Occasionally Youngjae would make him wipe the brush off and then dip it into another tin to change the colour. He didn't know how long they sat like that.

Eventually Youngjae made him set the brush down. “Open your eyes.”

Daehyun did so and stared at the canvas in front of him. It wasn't quite a masterpiece, but it was less a mess than he was expecting. They'd managed to follow the straight lines and curved it down the sides gently in coloured layers.

“Did you enjoy it?”

Daehyun nodded. “Yeah. I did.”

“So did I.”

His breath hitched a little as the painter wrapped his arms around his middle and rest his chin on his shoulder. “You have nice hands. Steady.”

“Thank you.”

Youngjae nuzzled his neck and let him go. “Move. I need to fix the mess you made.”

“I- Hang on, it's not a mess!” Daehyun pouted as he was pushed off the seat.

“To you. To the trained eye it's a catastrophe.”

“Oh shut up!”

 

Daehyun couldn't help feeling flustered, more so than the first date. He'd had an idea, and it seemed romantic and cool at the time but now he was starting to worry it was stupid. It was too late either way. Youngjae was already at his house in a long button-up shirt and nice shoes and his cane leaning against the doorway with the umbrellas, sat on Daehyun's couch with his legs neatly crossed over, a glass of wine in his hand.

“Okay, it's ready,” Daehyun said, setting down the hot bowls of food on the table.

Youngjae stood slowly and held an arm out for Daehyun to guide him to his seat. “It smells really nice. Are you sure you didn't buy this somewhere else and heat it up?” He joked.

“Hey! I worked hard on this!” Daehyun protested as he sat opposite him.

Youngjae chuckled and carefully ate his first mouthful, watched by Daehyun. “Ah! It's really nice! Well done.”

“I'll admit the first few times I tried to make it, it burned. But it's my mothers recipe so she guided me through it.”

“So... Really your mother made this?”

“I made this myself!” He pouted and began to eat his own food.

Youngjae laughed. “Well I like it either way.”

Daehyun glowed with pride.

As the evening went on they chatted and re-located themselves on the couch, huddled together with music playing and several glasses of wine.

“So you like my voice,” Daehyun began.

“Oh shut up about that,” Youngjae frowned.

“Ah, I will, I was going to continue to say... What else about me do you like?”

Youngjae hummed throughtfully. “Your money. You buy me good food.”

Daehyun nudged him. “I'm serious!”

Youngjae laughed. “Okay. Fine. I don't know, you're a nice guy. You're a lot of fun. You're not snooty about art and you don't pander to me because I'm blind.”

“That sounds sad. That sounds like you don't meet nice guys.”

Youngjae kicked his shin. “I said you're fun, too. Jees. Don't ask me weird questions.”

“I thought you might say I'm charming and charismatic and wear nice aftershave.”

“I've smelled better aftershave.”

“Hey!”

Youngjae sniggered. “Okay, what about me?”

“You're cute.”

Youngjae kicked him again.

“I'm serious! You're a cute, fun guy. You're passionate about what you do but you're not aggressive about it. You like to talk to people. You have nice hair.”

“Wow, I wish I hadn't asked. That was really sappy.”

Daehyun pouted.

“But you're allowed to go on about how great I am if you like.”

Daehyun gave him another nudge. “I will throw you out.”

“No you won't. You like me too much.” Youngjae cuddled against him and grinned. “Besides, I have an offer for you to let me stay.”

“Oh yeah?” Daehyun raised an eyebrow. “What's that?”

Youngjae sat up and raised his hands to touch Daehyun's face. When he'd settled his hands on his cheeks, he leaned in and kissed him slowly.

Daehyun's brow furrowed a little and he closed his eyes, leaning into the kiss.

Youngjae broke away too soon. “How's that?”

Daehyun didn't open his eyes immediately. “Yeah. Yeah, okay, you can stay.”

“Thought so~” Youngjae chuckled and leaned in to kiss him again.

 

Daehyun brought a paper bag of food from one of his favourite stands as he walked into the gallery.

“How is it you haven't even said 'hi' yet and I know it's you?” Youngjae asked, stood in front of his canvas and wiping his hands.

“How many times have you said that to someone today?” Daehyun laughed.

“Once, and I was right.” Youngjae smirked. “You're the only person in the city who asks for extra sauces on their rice cake.”

“Not true. Plenty of people do it!”

“Well you're the only one I'm aware of.” He closed the tins firmly and removed his apron and hair cloth.

“What's this one you've just finished?” Daehyun asked as he walked over. He stopped, amazed.

It was the painting he'd started with Youngjae, made of long straight coloured lines and curves. It was bright with dark edges and alternating textures.

“Wow.. It's... really nice.” Daehyun said slowly.

“Thank you. It's called Canvas.”

“It might actually be my favourite thing you've painted so far.”

“Good.” Youngjae smiled. “I painted it for you.”

Daehyun looked from the painter to the painting. “It's... beautiful. I love it.”

“I knew you would.” Youngjae grinned. “I know your tastes now. Just like you know mine.”

Daehyun laughs. “I guess you've won your challenge. I'm definitely having this.” He set a hand on Youngjae's shoulder and leaned in to kiss his cheek.

The painter blushed, but smiled. “You're not getting it for free.”

“Damn.”