[Fluff] Worst Kept Secret

DaeJae Shorts

Requested by yongguks-ramyun "It seemed to bap that daejae hated each other but they find out that they are dating."


 

“You two wait here while we get some food,” Himchan said, as he ushered the maknae line out of the door behind Yongguk.

“Yeah, sure,” Youngjae replied, turning the page of his book.

“Be quick! I'm starving,” Daehyun called out.

As Himchan nodded, he noticed Youngjae give Daehyun a look as though the older boy had said something stupid. With pursed lips, Himchan left the two vocalists alone.

 

“I wonder if they've had an argument,” Himchan mused as they waited in line in the local store.

“I hope they haven't, they were best friends. I'd hate it if any of us had a falling out,” Junhong mumbled, head resting on Jongup's shoulder.

“They're being unusually harsh to each other,” Jongup added thoughtfully, “it's more than just friends making fun of each other.”

“We can't have cracks coming between us, we're all we have,” the maknae mumbled again, looking miserable.

“Stop worrying too much,” Yongguk said in his soft, deep voice, “I'll talk to them when we get home. I'm not going to let whatever problems they may have cause any rifts among us.”

Himchan smiled, thanking whatever deities were out there that they'd been blessed with their level-headed leader.

 

“You three just go to the kitchen and work on setting up food, I'll talk to them in private,” Yongguk was saying as he opened the doors. He was just saying something else as they all walked into the main room, but the sight they walked into killed the words in his mouth.

Daehyun and Youngjae were glued at the mouth, hands fisted in each other's hair. Himchan slapped his hands over the maknae's eyes, causing the two dancers to yelp in surprise. Daehyun and Youngjae broke apart quickly and tried to jump away from each other as though nothing had happened, but their hair was still messed up and their faces red with embarrassment.

“Well,” Yongguk said after along awkward silence, “I guess we don't have to worry about you two having a fall out then.”

“What made you think that?” Daehyun asked, trying to fix his hair by raking his fingers through it quickly. His face was still red as a rose.

“You've been acting up recently, we thought your unusual behaviour was because you'd had an argument,” Himchan said, finally freeing the maknaes.

“Sorry for making you worried,” Youngjae apologised quietly, barely able to make eye contact with any of them.

“We were trying to keep us a secret. I guess that didn't work,” Daehyun added, fiddling with his hands.

“How long as this been going on?” Himchan asked.

The two boys glanced at each other before the older replied, “About two months?”

“Two months? And you didn't tell us?”

They hung their heads, now ashamed of their secrecy as well as thoroughly embarrassed.

“Hey,” Yongguk spoke up, voice gentle, “What matters is you're not on bad terms. You kids being happy is all I care about.” He smiled and turned to head to the kitchen. “Come on, we have food to eat.