Canine Companions

Dork Meets Princess

The next day came quickly than usual and Hyomin woke up with happiness and confidence. But despite of that, she sighed, for she was alone in her apartment.

‘Hmm…maybe I shall do some housework.’

Hyomin got straight to it. First of is that she watered the plants by her part. Suddenly, she heard a yelping sound. She puts her sprinkler down and went to find out the source of the sound.  In the neighbourhood, she saw a bunch of kids gathering up to something. Hyomin went towards the bunch to see what’s going on, gasping seeing a puppy being hurt by them.

“Yah! Don’t hurt it!!” She yelled, holding the puppy and getting on out of the commotion.

As for the kids, they whined to Hyomin for ruining the fun. The babbling didn’t stop and Hyomin grew annoyed. With that, she did her scary face and the kids ran for their lives. Hyomin laughed and stopped when the puppy yelped pitifully. Hyomin sighed and puts the puppy back down.

“I’m sorry, puppy. But I can’t keep you inside. The landlady doesn’t allow pets inside.” Hyomin said to it.

She made the motion to go back but the puppy wailed. Hyomin sighed and really wanted to take care of the puppy. It looked so pity with no food or home. She wanted to but she had rules to follow. She stopped and went back to the puppy. She crouched and went to take a good look at it.

“Yah! Hyomin!!” She stood up the moment she heard the landlady.

“Annyeonghaseyo, ahjumma.” Hyomin bowed and greeted.

“What were you doing? Watching ants crawl?” The landlady asked sarcastically.

“I saw this puppy getting beaten up by some kids a while ago. I went  to save it from getting more hurt,” said Hyomin.

“Can I mend its wounds inside?” She asked.

“Yes, you can…but you need to send it back where it came from. I can’t allow pets inside, Hyomin…you know that,” said the landlady.

“But…it’s going to die all alone outside.” Hyomin reasoned.

“Didn’t you hear me, Hyomin? It can’t be allowed inside. It’ll mess up the floor, destroy the furniture, and no one might take care of it.”

“But I can take care of it, ahjumma.” Hyomin said, carrying the puppy gently.

“Well…you are the most responsible boarder I have…fine. But you need to assure me that it doesn’t mess up the place and that you WILL take care of it.” The landlady said, pointing a finger at Hyomin.

Hyomin nodded. She bowed, thanking the landlady for the chance and went to get the puppy. She bowed at her again and sent the puppy inside for it to be healed.

“Now that’s a woman.” The landlady mumbled, smiling at Hyomin.

***

Inside Hyomin’s apartment, she went towards her back porch to wash the puppy. It winced in pain but Hyomin made sure she cleaned it gently. Once she finished, she mended its wounds and puts it down to prepare something for the puppy to eat and drink.

"A male, huh?" Hyomin asked and the puppy responded with a bark.

Hyomin puts it down. She then went to get the two bowls filled food and water.

“Here you go,” said Hyomin, holding the bowl of leftover food and a bowl of water.

She puts the bowls down and the puppy went to eat. Hyomin smiled and looked at him. She felt so happy as the puppy wagged his tail while eating.

“Hmm…I wonder what to call you? Hmm…” Hyomin mumbled, thinking of a good name for the puppy.

“How about…Youngmini?” She asked and the puppy looked up at her, barking cutely while wagging his tail.

The puppy finished his food and water and went closer to Hyomin. Hyomin crouched and the dog sniffed on her hand. Hyomin thought it was going to bite her…but instead, it her hand and nuzzled on her palm. Hyomin smiled and pets his head.

“You like your name?” Hyomin asked and the puppy barked.

“Okay…welcome to my apartment, Youngmini~” Hyomin smiled, petting the puppy even more.

***

In school, Hyomin was busy with her paperwork for her assignment. She didn’t make it in her apartment. She was busy taking care of her new puppy that she didn’t have enough time. Jiyeon and Soyeon saw her and went to greet their friend.

“Huh? That’s new,” said Jiyeon.

“What’s new?” Hyomin asked.

“You don’t usually do assignments in school. What gives?” Soyeon joined in asking.

“I have a pet dog. And I was busy taking care of him that I didn’t have time to make this at the apartment,” said Hyomin.

“I see. I thought that you were dreaming about Qri-“ With that, I almost broke my pen.

“Oh no…why would I?” I snickered.

“Don’t deny it. She’s your crush, Park Hyomin.” Soyeon cooed.

“Whatever…it’s just a crush.” Hyomin answered.

“Speaking of dogs, you should have an IG account for your pet.”  Jiyeon suggested.

“Now why would I do that?” Hyomin asked again.

“It’s the trend, Hyomin. IG users have made accounts for their pets to interact with the other pets and their owners’ accounts,” said Jiyeon.

“Yeah. I have an account of Totoro, my dog,” said Soyeon.

“I’m planning to make one for Wang too. How about yours, Hyomin?” Jiyeon asked her.

“Hmm…I’ll deal with that later.” Hyomin answered, focusing on her assignment.

Jiyeon and Soyeon whined, teasing Hyomin that she was no fun. Hyomin ignored it for the time being, focusing on her assignment.

***

By evening at her own home, Hyomin studied about English. Youngmini was a very good puppy. Hyomin felt something her foot. Hyomin giggled as Youngmini wagged his tail happily. She grabbed him and hoisted him towards her.

“Look at you. How can I study when you make that cute face?” She asked it, but Youngmini wagged him tail and barked cutely.

Hyomin giggled again and puts Youngmini on her bed. Hyomin trained him to stay and he did. She went back to studying when she got a phone call from an unknown number.

‘Hmm…I’m not answering it,’ she thought.

Then, she got a text message from the same unknown number. She grunted and checked it out.

Answer my f**king call, Park Hyomin! I’m outside your apartment!! –Princess Qri

“Whaaaaaat?!!” She yelped and gulped.

Hyomin gulped but she managed to calm down. She noticed the number call again. She decided to answer it this time.

“Hello?”

“I’m here outside your apartment. Will you let me come in or not?” She answered.

“Fine…I’m coming,” said Hyomin, heading towards the door.

Hyomin opened the door and there was Qri, shivering. Hyomin grabbed her and lets her come inside. Qri was speechless and felt shocked when Youngmini approached her and barked at her.

“Youngmini, no, no…she’s a friend.” Hyomin said to her puppy.

Youngmini went to his bed and Hyomin huffed her breath, greeting the princess sarcastically.

“So much for respect,” mumbled Qri.

“I heard that. What are you doing here?” Hyomin asked.

“I came to ask you something. What is the assignment for tonight?” Qri told her reason of coming.

“That’s it?” Hyomin asked, raising an eyebrow at a nodding Qri.

“You came all this way…just to ask that? What’s the use of your phone, princess? You could’ve just called or texted me the question rather that wasting your time coming here.” Hyomin suggested.

“Sorry to bother you. I didn’t come here just for that. I also came to see you.” Qri confessed.

Hyomin gulped. She turned her head away, hiding her blush. She sighed as she regained her composure. She faced Qri again as she crossed her arms in disbelief.

“Well, you can’t leave right away. How about I serve you some hot chocolate?” Hyomin offered.

“Sure. Thanks…” Qri said, sitting by Hyomin’s couch.

Hyomin gave a little nod and started working on it. For Qri, she scoped around. She was in awe of Hyomin’s apartment. It was filled with creativity and she even got a pet. With that in mind, Qri remembered something.

“Have you ever heard of IG accounts of pets?”

“Yeah…Jiyeon and Soyeon shared it to me.” Hyomin said, giving Qri her cup of hot chocolate.

“Are you going to go with the trend and make an IG account for Youngmini?” Qri asked her.

“Hmm…maybe…” Hyomin answered.

“You should! I have a pet dog too. Her name is Bappuli. I’ll have an account for her too...if you will do the same.”

“Huh? Why would I do that now?” Hyomin asked back.

“Wait a minute…” Qri smirked and grabbed Hyomin.

Hyomin yelped as Qri grabbed her arm and pulled Hyomin close to her. Hyomin felt herself so close to Qri, her straddled on Qri’s lap, her face inches away from Qri’s, and her hand intertwining with Qri’s.

“You are my servant, Hyomin. So whatever I will do, you will also do. Got that?” Qri said to her.

Hyomin was stunned and she could only nod. Qri smiled at her then went to peck her lips. Hyomin froze, her face as red as a tomato.

“Come. Let’s make an account for our pets.” 

Hyomin and Qri were on their phones, making IG accounts for their pets. Hyomin thought it was all stupid and that it’s just a trend and will be forgotten eventually…but there was something in her in which she found it nice. Was it because of Youngmini…or because of Qri?

“Check Youngmini’s account,” said Qri.

Hyomin did what Qri said and checked that Bappuli followed Youngmini. Hyomin posted a pic of Youngmini and Hyomin saw Qri liking it using Bappuli’s account.

“Nice pic, Hyomin.” Qri commented.

“Thanks.” Hyomin replied.

“Will you look at the time…it’s getting late. I should go.” Qri said.

“Wait, Qri, I…” Hyomin said and Qri was in a halt.

“What?” She asked Hyomin.

“Go home safe…” Hyomin said.

“Okay. I’ll see you at school.” Qri said, leaving the place.

Hyomin nodded, bidding goodbye to the princess. Hyomin closed the door then she leaned onto it, one hand by the door and the other on her chest.

‘What am I feeling?’ She thought.

Hyomin sighed and went back to her bedroom where Youngmini was already asleep. Hyomin smiled, went to pet its head and decided to turn in early. She washed and fixed herself and went to her bed.

“Night, Youngmini.” Hyomin whispered.

“…and good night, Qri…” She mumbled and slept.