Chapter 2

The Goddess and Her Dragon

---***---

 

"Ugh, damn it, damn it, DAMN IT!”

 

She was mumbling and cursing as she ran. Her smooth face which is similar to a porcelain doll now became pale. Sweat blurred her vision but she had no time to sweep it.

 

Oh, how lucky she was today. First day to work and she was late for 25 minutes! Thanks to that useless alarm clock, she should remember to buy a new one later.

 

She kept running, collided to other pedestrians at times and she had to bow repeatedly to apologize. Her slender legs brought her to a tall building on the edge of a busy road. After arriving at the front door made of glass, she looked down, trying to catch her breath while both of her hands resting on knees.

 

Just as she was about to open the door, another woman pushed her and entered first. The door swung back and... Brak! The damned door successfully hit her nose.

 

“Ouch!”

 

She was in pain, clutching her red nose.The woman who caused that incident only glanced at her with one eye and went on her way. Omo! What a beautiful manner!

 

“Are you okay?”

 

That deep voice made ​​her look back. A tall man with thick eyebrows was staring at her. Black coat which he wore looked expensive, as well as his black briefcase and shoes that added his luxurious impression.

 

“Excuse me?” asked the girl, didn’t sure whom he was talking to.

 

“Your nose, is it okay?”

 

She touched her nose. Cringed by a little touch of it, she had her finger away from the injured nose. Now her fingers smeared with blood.

 

The man sighed. “Seems not.”

 

He reached into his neat black pants’ pocket and pulled out a handkerchief. Before she had time to pick it up, he had pressed her nose with his handkerchief. His other hand held her neck on the back so that she wouldn’t move too much.

 

“W-what are you d-doing?” asked the girl frantically, trying to escape from the nearness of their current position.

 

“Raise your head up high. Follow me inside, you have to lie down to stop your nose bleed,” he said curtly, still clutching the girl's neck without any awkwardness.

 

“B-but I’ve been late!”

 

He was silent for a moment. “Do you work here?”

 

With her head still being held, she nodded, not too strong but enough to be seen.

 

“Where do you work? I'll report it to your superior.”

 

“Errr... Managerial division...”

 

Suddenly he smiled widely, his flawless face looked more handsome.

 

“Then it's okay. I’m well acquainted with the managerial head. Now, follow me.”

 

“But ...”

 

Without hearing any argument, he pulled her through the door. Several pairs of curious eyes were staring at them, making her face more flushed with their intimate position now.

 

Don’t be so stupid, she thought as she hit her own head. He was just a good man who tried to help you.

 

“What is it? Why are you hitting your head?” asked the man.

 

“A-aniyo...”

 

Stupid, stupid!

 

As soon as they were in the midst of the vast lobby of the office, he moved his hand from the girl's neck. “Here, hold this handkerchief and press the base of your nose. Do not move, lift your head still or the blood will come out again. I'll be right back.”

 

She just wanted to ask about where he would go, but he had already walked away. She was forced to obey what he said and waited; trying to ignore the curious stares of all the people threw at her. She even heard the whispers coming from all corners of the room, but she didn't know whom they were talking about.

 

A few minutes later he returned and held her neck again, gave a surprise to her when their hands accidentally come into contact.

 

“Come on.” Again, he led the way.

 

“Where... Where to?” she asked in surprise.

 

“We need a place to treat your wound. Come on.”

 

Unable to refuse, she eventually followed him back in to an empty elevator. In the elevator he was pressing a number; she couldn’t see it because her head was facing up. After that they were both silent, the atmosphere felt so awkward.

 

She really wanted to stop the elevator and ran out of embarrassment. Well, today was really ‘beautiful’. She was late, got nose bleed and now someone was helping her whom she had never even known.

 

Her eyes stole a glance at his face. From this close distance, she could see how long his eyelashes were, his dark eyes were looking ahead, waiting for the elevator to stop. His nose was sharp; his hair had the same color as his eyes.

 

“Is there something on my face?”

 

The voice startled her. She quickly shook her head, but she just remembered that the man was still holding her head, so she waved her hands frantically.

 

“No! Nothing!”

 

He laughed silently. Oh, so embarrassing! Her heart said.

 

Fortunately, the elevator stopped immediately; otherwise her nosebleed would become worse because of the blood all over her face.

 

Slowly he led her out, walked a few steps and opened a door. She wanted to look around the room, but she still couldn’t move her head.

 

“Sit down.” The man said, helped her sit in a dark blue couch. That man himself sat comfortably next to her.

 

“Lean your head on the head of the couch, yes, like that. Has your blood stopped? Ah, luckily yes. Keep your head up, don’t move,” he instructed. She couldn’t help but to follow the commands.

 

Tok tok! The door was knocked softly. A woman dressed in office-wear entered with a tray. On the tray she could see a plastic bag filled with ice and a cup of warm milk.

 

“Excuse me, is this what...?” she asked.

 

“Yes, please bring it here. Thank you.”

 

The woman put the tray on the table in front of the couch and bowed her head slightly before exiting. The man immediately took the ice and held it against her.

 

“Ouch!” She was in pain because of the cold that suddenly froze her nose.

 

“Hold it in your nose. Your nose isn't broken, right? Indeed, your nose was hit hard, but I guess it’s not too severe. After all the ice melts, drink that milk and go back to your office.” He looked at his watch. “I must go now.”

 

Before he could rise from his seat, she had pulled his jacket, holding him to walk away. The man looked at her, didn’t understand, but then he smiled.

 

“It's okay, I've talked to your boss and he doesn’t mind if you’re late even longer to treat your nose.”

 

“No... Not that. Well, thank... thank you... um...”

 

He smiled more widely.“Ah, forgive me, I haven’t even introduced myself. My name is Seunghyun, Choi Seunghyun,” he said as he stuck out his hand.

 

She hurried to welcome that hand. “Sandara Park, but you can call me Dara, Seunghyun ssi.”

 

Seunghyun shook her soft hands closely. “Then you can also call me Seunghyun, no need to use 'ssi', Dara.”

 

Dara smiled sweetly, her first smile today. “Thank you, Seunghyun.”

 

---***---