Chapter 9

The Goddess and Her Dragon

Another update once in a blue moon ^o^;;

 

---***---

 

Jiyong's eyes widened as if it wanted to get out. His body became stiff immediately, although no one noticed this peculiarity.

 

His heart screamed. How can that be?! How can someone in his dream turned into a real human? And she even stood in front of him, with her bright eyes and radiant happy face.

 

Yeoshin in his dream was beautiful, Jiyong knew it. Although she only wore old shabby clothes, with her hair in disheveled on her back, and that mud-stained face, or blood, the smile on her lips was still looked beautiful.

 

And now, she was there, without excessive makeup, wearing a light pink colored mini dress. Her smooth black hair was loose. Jiyong could not think of other words that were more suitable; she was perfect.

 

The girl must have noticed the serious look in Jiyong’s face, because now she has turned to him and stared back. Jiyong gasped in surprise, but it has never crossed his mind to turn away from the mysterious girl.

 

Suddenly she smiled at him. Him!

 

Jiyong will definitely keep silent and undress her with his eyes if someone’s voice did not destroy his reverie.

 

“Yah! Jiyong! Are you okay?”

 

Jiyong grudgingly looked away. And then he realized, everyone was now looking at him with different expressions. Dongwook, who had called him, looked worried. Kikwang looked at him with his annoying 'I-know-why' smile. Jiyong turned quickly, in no mood to let Kikwang further.

 

He looked at the others. Another girl beside the mysterious girl, who Jiyong just noticed, smiled at him as if he was a funny clown. Yes, she's not smiling at Jiyong; she laughed at him. Jiyong scowled, but then he caught the sadness in her eyes. Why? What did he do?

 

And that person named Seunghyun frowned when he saw him, his expression was kind of hard to read, but Jiyong can guess it right. That person didn’t like him. At all.

 

Inwardly Jiyong shrugged. He didn’t care anyway, this is not the first time he was hated, and certainly it won’t be the last time.

 

Then, the mysterious girl... Jiyong was just about to look at her again when Dongwook exclaimed, "Seunghyun, they...?"

 

Seunghyun looked back at Dongwook. "Ah yes, let me introduce them both, she is," he pointed to Jiyong’s girl, "Sandara Park, my secretary, and next to her is Bom nu... Park Bom, my employee. Dara, Bom, he is Choi Dongwook, my friend in college."

 

Sandara, eh? thought Jiyong. Many times he repeated that name in his mind, as if trying to recognize it. Sandara... San-da-ra...

 

Dongwook walked up to them, graciously greeted Dara and Bom, "Nice to meet you guys, Sandara ssi and Bom ssi."

 

Jiyong was stunned when Sandara smiled again, though this time it wasn’t for him. "Nice to meet you too, Dongwook ssi. Please, just call me Dara."

 

Bom remained silent, but nevertheless she also shook his hand.

 

That was when Jiyong saw Kikwang, he was already walking forward toward the two girls. Just one look at his face and Jiyong knew exactly what Kikwang was thinking, and he didn’t like it.

 

Kikwang extended his hand in front of them, but his eyes were fixed on her. On Dara.

 

"Pleasure to meet you too, ladies, my name is Kikwang, Lee Kikwang," Kikwang said with a wink. Geez, that gigolo brat.

 

Dara looked confused and just smiled awkwardly, not knowing what to do. Eventually she received his hand shake. Making her even more surprised, Kikwang pulled her hand closer and kissed her cheek.

 

Jiyong has never once felt the urge to strangle that cousin of his to death than today.

 

"YAH!" Fortunately, Dongwook was still there. He grabbed the back of Kikwang’s shirt collar and pulled him backwards.

 

"Ehm... Dara ssi, I’m really sorry for this, please excuse his impudent act, as he was born with one kind of incurable playboy disease," joked Dongwook trying to break the ice. Dara smiled, making Jiyong forgot everything once again, and he frowned as he realized it. Why can such a smile influence him like this?

 

"It's okay, Dongwook ssi, no problem."

 

"Hyung!" Kikwang whined, trying to escape from Dongwook’s grip.

 

Dongwook glared at him, "Kikwang, do you want me to report you to Hanbyul? I said behave!"

 

Kikwang looked down, grumbling.

 

Dongwook turned to Jiyong. "Jiyong."

 

Jiyong knew his hyung's intent. He didn’t move from his place, just lowered his head and muttered, "I’m Kwon Jiyong."

 

---***---

 

Bom, which has been silent till now, raised an eyebrow.

 

What the hell with that arrogant attitude? Just because he’s a little better-looking than that playboy boy, doesn’t mean that he have to act worse, right? He didn’t want to walk toward them, he didn’t offer a friendly handshake, and he didn’t even smile! Is a small smile too expensive for him?

 

Dara suddenly walked towards the arrogant man, and what made Bom’s mouth gaping surprised, was because Dara offered her hand first.

 

"Hi, Kwon Jiyong ssi. Dara imnida," Dara said with a smile. Slowly Bom smiled too. She almost forgot, that was just so... Dara-ish. She will draw near everyone who wanted to be away from her. She will try to reflect on herself when someone criticized her. She will do everything so that people can feel comfortable being with her, even though looked like she wasn’t aware that people have been comfortable enough without her needed to do anything else.

 

And from his slightly dilated pupils, Bom knew that man named Kwon Jiyong was also surprised. A few seconds of hesitation, finally Jiyong nodded and greeted her. Dara’s smile widened. She grabbed Jiyong’s hand tightly, and Jiyong gasped. No one realized this, maybe just Bom and the careful eyes of the beholder.

 

Jiyong released Dara’s hand quickly, as if he feared he would hurt Dara’s hand any second. Suddenly he stepped away from them. He just nodded to Dongwook and went away. More wrinkled forehead was created because of his attitude.

 

Before going any further, Jiyong heard his hyung was saying, "Ah, sorry, but please don’t be offended. Jiyong was always like that, maybe he just wanted to drink."

 

---***---

 

He kept walking, looking for a place with no one else could bother him. Upon reaching the exit side, Jiyong nodded in satisfaction. He arrived at a park, dark and silent. Really fit with what he wanted. The sound of music inside just drifted here.

 

He walked again and then he heard the sound of splashing water. Just what he wanted now, a lawn chair in front of the fountain was ​​there.

 

He sat down, sighed and loosened his too-binding tie. While satisfying himself with the soothing sight of a deserted place, he began to think.

 

He knew he wasn’t the most polite person. They just met and he just walked away, as if he didn’t want to be with them much longer. But he needed a space for himself now. He needed time to understand himself, trying to see why he felt as if a high-voltage electrified him as he touched Dara’s soft hand. Why until now, after he was away from her, his heart was still pounding as if he had just run fast. Why his knees turned to jelly when Dara looked at him with her round eyes. Why he always turned to a statue when he saw her smile...

 

Jiyong ruffled his hair, frustrated. Aish, Kwon Jiyong! You're a disgrace! Why are you behaving like this now every time you saw her? Like, like a 12-year-old boy who was experiencing his first love? And you even just met her!

 

Well, meeting her in the dream didn’t count, right?

 

And that's not all. He also felt another feeling, a feeling that even he had forgotten what it's called, feeling which had long he'd never felt.

 

I feel alive, thought Jiyong.

 

He immediately laughed silently, aware of his own stupidity. For 24 years he was born, and only now he felt alive? If so, what is he during all his life? A corpse or what?

 

And for some reasons, it only made him remember his ideal. What he wanted to be. Goal that he remembered only ever had one in lifetime.

 

When he was 6 years old, when his friends competing to mention their dreams in front of the class, he remembered he was alone, remained silent in the corner. When his teacher finally reached his seat and asked, he replied, "I want to fly."

 

Of course, like other sane adults, his teacher at the time thought he wanted to be a pilot. He just nodded, not willing to extend the problem, but in his heart he rejected it out. Who wanted to navigate that stupid big iron bird.

 

No, of course not.

 

He wanted to fly, free, with his own wings.

 

Then, as he grew up, he finally acknowledged the fact that in this life God wouldn’t give him, or anyone, wings; no matter how many times he prayed, no matter how many paper crane that he had made. And like that, slowly he forgot the dream, buried it deep in his heart, and lived the life like a robot, like an empty shell without content.

 

But, today, there is something bubbling in his chest. He felt confident. He felt the presence of... hope.

 

Yes, that's right. Just by staring at Dara he forgot that he still stood on the ground. He was flying. Sounds cheesy? Maybe, but it's the truth for Jiyong.

 

Flying in his own world and Kwon Jiyong never said he didn’t like it.

 

---***---