Never Speak Too Soon

Never Speak Too Soon

“So you know…”

Minho finally looked up from the bowl of ramyun he was appreciating since it was plopped down on the table in front of him five minutes ago to the direction of the voice. Earlier on, he had been further exploring Key’s apartment when said owner of apartment had disappeared into the kitchen only to come out with a bowl of ramyun about 10 minutes later, ordering him to settle down at the dining table to eat his dinner. Minho had been in utter shock when he did what he was told, trying to soak in the fact that Key had cooked dinner for him on his own accord (and for that matter, actually remembered Minho hadn’t had his dinner), which explained why the ramyun was still left untouched and the cook himself was getting rather impatient.

“What you do is take the chopsticks, use it to pick up the noodles, put it in your mouth and then chew.” Sitting opposite Minho was Key who gestured towards the bowl of no longer steaming hot ramyun and adopted a tone he would only use on little kids as he gave out his instructions.

“Cute, Key.” Minho brought his hand up to his mouth to stifle a laugh. “Very cute.”

Key rolled his eyes and resumed his mode. “Are you going to eat it or not?”

“Cause if you’re not then I’ll just…“ Key reached out in an attempt to take the bowl away but Minho’s reflexes were way faster as he rapidly picked up the chopsticks and began devouring his simple dinner.

“It would have tasted better if you didn’t stare at it for a full five minutes.” Key lamented, displeased that his food wasn’t eaten at its very best.

“It’s still the best thing I’ve ever eaten.” Minho managed to say in between swallowing his ramyun and slurping more noodles into his mouth.

“Minho, it’s just instant ramyun with an extra egg that I made in less than 10 minutes.” Key laid back into his chair and scoffed. “Stop exaggerating.”

“Just admit it Key, you like that I said that.” Minho shot him a wink before returning his attention back to his dinner. Upon seeing what little was left in the bowl, whatever charisma Minho previously exuded disappeared in a snap of a finger as a pout appeared on his now baby face.

Key crossed his arms and groaned. “What now?”

Key couldn’t believe his eyes when Minho looked up at him with a pitiful expression which almost reminded him of Puss in Boots in Shrek when he stares up with an innocent wide-eyed expression. And yes, Key had to admit a part of him wanted so badly to ruffle Minho’s hair or squeeze his cheeks and go awww. But no, you wish he did. Instead, Key shook away that ridiculous thought and waited for Minho to answer.

“There’s barely a mouthful left.” Minho tilted the bowl so that Key could see for himself. “Maybe I should have savored it slowly…”

Key rubbed his forehead and then covered his face in distress. “Oh God, I'm beginning to wonder why I even feel something for you.”

Once he finished the last mouthful (after some hesitation of course), Minho placed his chopsticks neatly on top of the now empty bowl and let out a satisfied sigh. Looking as relaxed as he possibly could, he did not forget about having to deal with a seemingly troubled Key.

“Well, if it helps…“ Minho faked a similar troubled expression. “You're not the only one.”

Key snapped his head up with a fierce glare. “Choi Minho, out of my apartment now!”

In lightning speed, Key got up from his seat, pulled Minho out of the chair by the arm and pushed him all the way until his full body was outside the apartment, then slamming the door right on Minho's face. Key showed absolutely no mercy at all. Minho obviously did not expect Key to act on his words nor did he know Key possessed such strength within him or else, he wouldn’t be banging on Key's door right this instant.

“Come on, I was just kidding with you Key!”

“Good night Minho!” Key's muffled voice came from the other side of the door.

Minho leaned his forehead against the door and let out a sigh, one that revealed he was actually quite defenseless when it came to Key. Yet, he had to thank his lucky stars tonight because not only did he get Key to admit he was attracted to him, Key himself had indirectly acknowledged they were in a relationship. On top of that, he even had the fortune to taste Key's cooking. The progress of his relationship with Key was more than he could ask for in one night... enough for him to leave things as it was for the night and decide it was time for him to go.

“Alright, I'm off. Thanks for dinner!” Minho knocked on the door as a goodbye. “Have a good night's sleep, I'll call you tomorrow.”

With that, Minho finally took his leave, trusting on his instincts that Key had received his message.

On the other side of the door, Key shook his head unbelievably. "What have I gotten myself into?"

Nevertheless, Key couldn't stop a smile from forming on his face - and a blissful one it was. 

 

“Key, where the hell are you?!”

Key's lips tugged upwards upon hearing the familiar voice that flooded his voicemail. He removed his phone from his ear and then pressed 1 to hear the next message. It was the 16th time he had repeated this action and with each message, his smile grew wider. It had started off with a calm “call me when you get this” message, followed by irritated “you should pick up your phone” and “why aren't you answering my calls” messages, moving on to worried “are you avoiding me, did something happen” messages and now that he was on the 16th message, Minho's voice was loud and filled with pure frustration.

"It's been five days Key. Five. ing. Days. Answer your bloody phone damn it!"

And 16 messages from Minho were all he got because his phone battery had died. This Key only realised when he suddenly remembered the existence of his phone or more accurately, the existence of his social life after he had finally completed the designs he had been working on ever since inspiration struck him. These designs were nothing school related (since he was currently enjoying the Winter break) but everything Minho related. The morning after the eventful night with Minho, Key woke up having all sorts of images of clothes he could see Minho wearing. He simply couldn't resist the urge to pick up his pencil and sketch out all the designs he had floating in his mind. And boy did he have enough to create one whole collection of clothes! Not that he knew what exactly he was going to do with them but he just had to draw them all out.

He honestly had no intention whatsoever on avoiding Minho but there was no stopping him when inspiration came. He hadn't left his study room (or what he would like to call his design studio) in days, apparently five days as he found out from Minho’s messages. All he did was work on his designs, only eating when his stomach grumbled, sleeping when he felt tired and doing whatever was necessary when nature called. There could have been chaos happening in the world outside but Key would be completely clueless because he was absolutely focused on his task. Key wondered to himself, if Minho discovered that the reason why he was uncontactable was actually Minho himself, would he be less angry with him and happy instead? Then again, Key would never find out the answer to his question since he had no plans on letting Minho know why he had disappeared for five days. However, he did have plans to spring a surprise visit to Minho’s dorm and well, if Minho was lucky enough to be at his dorm, Key was ready to reward him for his worry and concern over him for the past five days.

By late afternoon, Key had found his way to the door of Minho’s dorm. The university dorms were pretty quiet considering it was Winter break and most of the students had returned home for the holidays. For a moment, Key was worried that Minho was one of them as well but when he knocked on the door and heard footsteps shuffling around, he heaved a sigh of relief and prepared himself to surprise Minho – only the surprise turned out to be on Key instead because the person who opened the door was a complete stranger and in no way or any form Choi Minho.

“You are?” Key quickly hid his surprise and questioned.

“Taemin.” The stranger (to Key) replied out of instinct before suddenly shaking his head. “Wait a minute, I should be the one asking you that!”

Key smiled at the other’s cuteness even though he had questions in his mind on Taemin’s identity and readily replied. “I’m looking for Minho actually… I’m Key, his… friend.”

Taemin’s eyes widened when he heard Key’s name. “You’re no friend! You’re so much more than that because Minho hyung’s gone crazy over trying to locate you for the past week!”

Before Key could react, Taemin turned around and shouted into the room. “Hyung! Stop moping around and get your of your bed! Key’s here!”

The next thing Key knew, Minho was right next to Taemin, even pushing the younger away to get a good glimpse of him at the door.

“Hi.” Key waved as his eyes met a pair of bloodshot eyes with dark circles under them and laughed guiltily. “Did I, umm, wake you?”

“Hyung hasn’t even been sleeping!” Taemin butted in before a disheveled looking Minho could open his mouth. “All he does is stare at his phone and try to call- mmph!“

Taemin was silenced, everything he tried to say coming out muffled as Minho’s hand covered his mouth firmly. Taemin was of no match to Minho when it came to strength.

“Thank you Tae. I don’t need you to answer for me.” Minho shot a warning look at a struggling Taemin before releasing his hold over his roommate with a fake smile. “And don’t you have to be somewhere?”

“Alright alright, I get the hint.” Taemin huffed and rolled his eyes. “Sheesh, you didn’t have to get all physical with me. I almost couldn’t breathe!”

“It’s his thing…” Key thought out loud. “He likes to get physical.”

Two pairs of widened eyes stared at Key. Key gulped.

“I didn’t-“ Key paused. “What I meant is-“ Another pause. “You know, not in-“

“Uh huh, I so know what you mean.” Taemin grinned and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “I knew it, you’re not just Minho hyung’s friend.”

With Key keeping silent and being all embarrassed, Minho rolled his eyes and hit the back of Taemin’s head lightly. “Not what you’re thinking Tae. Now I thought we decided that you have to be somewhere? Shouldn’t you be gone by now?”

“Right. You’re lucky that you have me as your roommate.” Taemin walked towards his desk to grab his bag and jacket before walking back to where Minho and Key were stuck in silence at the doorway, looking at each other awkwardly.

“Well, invite him in Hyung!” Taemin exclaimed, shattering the uncomfortable silence.

“Taemin…” Minho groaned. “Just go, please.”

Key took the initiative to step into the apartment and then cleared his throat. “Taemin shouldn’t have to leave just because I’m here.“

“Nah, I’m heading back home actually.” Taemin smiled at Key. “Even if I don’t leave now, I’ll have to in 15 minutes or so.”

Key nodded, albeit doubtfully, and returned a smile. He didn’t know much about Taemin but he already could see Taemin as a friend and someone he could really grow to adore.

“I’ll see you when I get back hyung… which will be in a week!” Taemin thought it was necessary to add that little piece of information in so Minho was reminded of how much precious time he had the dorm to himself. He smiled cheekily at the couple. “Have fun you guys! And happy holidays!”  

With that, Taemin waved a cool goodbye and whistled his way out, leaving both Minho and Key finally to themselves.

“So…” Key decided it was only right of him to start the conversation. “Will you be heading back home for the holidays too?”

“Does it matter to you?” Minho’s tone was as cold as his eyes.

For the first time, Key knew it wasn’t the right time to make a snarky comment or any comment for that matter. He didn’t even know if Minho was expecting an answer to that question so he chose to change the subject.

“You don’t… look too good.”

That wasn’t the smartest thing for Key to say and he knew it, immediately regretting his choice to comment on Minho’s looks since he very well knew he was the reason to why Minho looked like a mess.   

Minho kept his eyes fixed on Key, keeping silent for a while as he took in a couple of breaths to keep his temper down. He didn’t want to end up shouting at Key since the fashion student had already presented himself to his apartment.  

“Of course I don’t look good, Key.” Minho sighed and ran his hand through his already messy hair. “Where the hell have you been?”

“Busy at home.”

“Home?! I’ve been to your house three times and thrice nobody answered the door!” Minho tried, he really did, but he still couldn’t control himself from raising his voice. “And let’s not get started on your phone, do you know-“

“Yes, I know. I got all 16 messages.” Key walked closer to Minho until they were within each other’s reach. “I’m sorry, I got caught up with designing. But that’s how it is for me, when I work, I really work. Nothing can distract me or else I’ll lose the feel… it’s hard for you to understand because you’re not in the arts scene but you need to know this.”

“Why?”

Key knew what Minho wanted out of him and he was going to do just that, with a little something more. Placing his hands on Minho’s shoulders, he pushed the taller guy backwards until the back of his knees hit the bed, causing him to fall accurately on the bed. Key then kicked off his shoes hastily and moved to sit on Minho’s lap with his knees on either side of the other’s thighs and his arms circled around Minho’s neck.

“Does this say enough?”

“And you say I’m the physical one.”

“Are you complaining?”

“I wouldn’t dare.”

“Good.”

Key closed the distance between their faces and caught Minho’s lips in a long overdue kiss. The fashion student smirked against said lips when he felt Minho stiffen. The kiss was teasing and playful, everything that should have paved the way for a passionate and heated kiss but Key noticed that it wasn’t going to go anywhere near that if Minho continued to stay frozen like a statue. He pulled himself away with a sigh and stared at said statue.

“Considering the first time you kissed me, I’m pretty sure you don’t lack experience in this area…” Key bit his bottom lip in thought.

Minho shook his head.

“You alright?” Key asked, beginning to feel a little concerned over Minho.

Minho nodded and cleared his throat. “I’m just… just wondering why you’re suddenly so… what’s the word? Friendly?”

Key laughed and squeezed Minho’s face in his hands. “Well, get used to it. Because I’ll be friendly with you quite often… that is if you count kissing as being friendly.”

“Hmm, then how would you describe it if we did more than kissing?” Key added as an afterthought.

“Key, just shut up.”

“We wouldn’t even be talking right now if you just-“

Key wasn’t given a chance to complain because Minho had taken the necessary action. His hand found its way to the back of Key’s head, bringing Key’s lips to his as they engaged in an anything but innocent kiss. Minho would be happy to know that this was exactly what Key wanted. To his satisfaction, Key’s unspoken words were put into action with Minho now working his lips against his own in a heated kiss that involved tongues and teeth and the right amount of everything. In between kisses, Minho swore he heard Key call him a bastard and a smart but he wasn’t going to take that to heart since Key was now pretty much helplessly trapped under him on the bed.

Because for all that he cared, Key could call him whatever he wanted as long as he could do things to Key that only lovers could.

“Minho, wipe that sickening smile off your face please. I can’t stand it.”

For his own good, Minho chose to simply ignore Key and kept himself busy with trailing kisses from the corner of Key’s mouth, to his jawline and along his neck until he found the perfect spot where he was intent on leaving a noticeable mark there. Let’s just say, although Minho thought of it as a small punishment for Key for talking so much, it didn’t seem like it was effective at all considering how Key wasn’t resisting and wait a second, was that a moan Minho just heard?

If it was, Key would just have to put up with Minho’s sickening smile because it wasn’t going away anytime soon.

Author's Note: HAPPY NEW YEAR! it's late (and so is my update) but do forgive me! wishing everyone a great 2012 ahead! been so busy watching all the gayo daejuns and trying to calm myself from SHINee's performances (which i'm still in the midst of doing) that i haven't had the time to write but finally, the new chapter is out and i hope you enjoyed it! thanks for subscribing and reading! looking forward to comments! ^^