Never Speak Too Soon

Never Speak Too Soon

Minho had a new love in his life. A new love which he found immediately after the day Key left Seoul. He was so deeply in love that he couldn’t get his mind off it. Without this new love, his life would be so mundane especially since he didn’t have his boyfriend physically by his side. When he was done with classes, soccer trainings and if the time was right, nothing could take him away from spending all his remaining time with his new love. Of course, it wasn’t all perfect. There were times he hated what he had come to love. He hated how sometimes it made him wait, it failed to suit his needs and how it could disappoint him so much.

Still, Minho had become hooked on this love. Key even knew about his new obsession. Key, who was halfway around the world in New York, knew about what Minho had fallen in love with yet he couldn’t and didn’t want to do anything about it. Because Key was the one who had introduced it to Minho. Because Key himself was happy, pleased, delighted that Minho was spending so much time with this new love of his. It was Minho’s new love that was sustaining their long distance relationship and keeping them connected even though they were more than 6800 miles away from each other. So what (cause this is actually a more appropriate term than who), you might be wondering, was this new love that Minho had found? Well, the answer started with S and ended with E. The new addition to the list of things he loved, coming in third place after Key and Soccer was called Skype.

“How long did you wait this time?” Key asked, his voice filled with a little of amusement, defeat, frustration and excitement all mixed together, once the call got through.

1.17pm, Saturday was the time and day in New York where Key was but it was 2.17am, Sunday where Minho was in Seoul. There was nothing new about the time difference though because it was something they had been dealing with since Key left for New York. Either way, one of them had to stay up late or wake up early just so they could Skype with each other. Yet, the 13 hour time difference was something they had already gotten used to after physically being 5 months apart from each other. Physically apart, yes but definitely not emotionally. It would be a lie to say their relationship was going perfectly smooth though. They had their ups and downs, and their relationship could definitely have been better.

Long distance relationships were never easy. Both Minho and Key could vouch for that. It wasn’t about mistrusting one another or being afraid of drifting apart, that wasn’t a problem for Minho and Key because they had absolute faith in each other and trust was something they never lacked. What was torturing them was the harsh reality that they could only see and hear, but not touch each other. It was almost like having a face to face visit at a prison, like one of them was in jail and the other visiting, being so close to each other at that point in time but separated by a glass that would keep them so far apart and only being able to hear the other’s voice through the phone and seeing him in person. It felt as if you could do everything you wanted with the person but not being able to do anything at all.

Minho and Key never spoke about it but they both knew they were feeling the exact same thing. Minho was able to control his emotions better, always being the stable dependable one. All he wanted was to have an enjoyable conversation with Key and fully treasure the time he had with his boyfriend online. Why waste time complaining about how being in two different countries basically when they could spend it more happily like finding out how their day went? He was going to take whatever he could get. Then again, Minho was only human so even if he could control his emotions in front of Key, he vented his frustration when Key couldn’t see him. Most of the times, he kept to himself, buried his emotions deep within him and looked at the bright side of life since that was his way of coping. At other times when he really couldn’t hold it in any longer, his favourite way was to tire himself out through exercising and working out at the gym. Either that or irritate Taemin to no end as he practically whined about not having Key around in Seoul.

Key wasn’t as good as Minho when it came to controlling his emotions because he always wore his heart on his sleeve. Particularly when he was with Minho, the one person he could be himself with, he was his true self. There was nothing to hide, no need to be polite, have manners or behave accordingly to what society deemed acceptable when Key was with Minho. So although he tried his best to hide his frustration because he didn’t want to affect the mood, there were times when Key would end up sulking at Minho through the screen on the pretence of something else that was troubling him, be it school issues or life in general in New York. However, Minho knew the truth behind Key’s troubled expression. The message was clear. Key missed Minho and Minho missed Key. True, they made sure to keep in contact with each other whenever they could but that alone wasn’t enough. It was bitter sweet torture. Yet, it was all they could have.

It was a funny feeling actually. Were they happy? Yes. But could they be happier? Definitely.  

“Not too long, only about 10 minutes. I know your schedule inside out, Key, I’m practically living according to it as well.” Minho’s reply brought Key’s attention back onto their Skype conversation.

“Alright!” Key smiled, his eyes looking directly into the webcam. “So who’s going to go first today?”

You see, Key and Minho made it a point to fill each other in on what has been happening in their life during every Skype conversation they had. Now, it was like a habit, a practice, a routine (or whatever you want to call it) they made sure to go through so they were kept updated and didn’t miss out too much on each other’s lives.

“There’s nothing new in my life, Kibum, you know how boring it is without you.” Minho sighed, leaning comfortably in bed against the headboard.

“Oh really?” Key raised his eyebrows. “How many girls hit on you today?”

“None.” Minho answered like a proud kid who got an A on his exam.

“How about guys then?”

Minho visibly froze at Key’s question (which was obviously meant as a joke).

“You gotta be kidding me.” Key shook his head disbelievingly. “My boyfriend got hit on by some guy today? You don’t even look gay!”

“Kibum… calm down.”

“I. Am. Calm.” Key crossed his arms and leaned forward on his desk. “Tell me what happened.”

“Err, I bought coffee earlier in the morning and the barista wrote his number down on the cup.”

“Tsk, lame.”

Minho grinned. “There’s nothing to be jealous about, baby.”

Key rolled his eyes. “Wipe that stupid smile off your face.”

“Not going to.” Minho shrugged. “It’s not like you can do anything about it since you’re in New York.”

“You think?” Key snorted. “How about I tell you now I went clubbing last night and didn’t have to pay for a single drink the entire night I was there?”

“Who are those bastards who came onto you?!” Minho glared into his webcam, directly at Key. The smile, of course, completely vanished from his face.

“See?” Key replied smugly. “I’m in New York but I still have the power over you.”

“Kim Kibum.” Minho let out a breath. “I would appreciate it if you stop having such an active nightlife, especially when I’m not there with you.”

“Minho, baby, do you know how many times you’ve said this in the past 5 months?”

“No?”

“Neither do I. You know why?” Without waiting for his boyfriend to reply, Key gave him the answer. “Because I stopped counting when I reached 100.”

“Is it my fault I care too much about you?”

“Nope.” Key smiled. “But I’m fine, Minho, I’m taking good care of myself, I have been for the entire time that I’m away from you.”

“I know you have… and I hate how you’re so self-reliant sometimes, but I just… I…”

“I know.”

Minho and Key shared a look of understanding with each other through the screens of their laptops, one that conveyed too many unspoken words that would have been better off expressed (but things worked differently with Minho & Key).

“Just a month to go.” Minho finally broke the silence.

Key nodded but sighed, his eyes looking at his nails. “I wish you were in New York with me…”

“Kibum, why’d you have to say that? We lasted 5 months pretending this long distance is easy so we both don’t go crazy but now…”

“I know I know! I’m sorry but I just… I just miss you.”

“You know… I actually think our long distance relationship is doing us some good. I like that you’re more open with your feelings.”

“Enjoy it while it lasts.”

“Aww, I miss you too Kibum.”

Key rolled his eyes. “Alright, go sleep, Minho. You have an 8am class later.”

“We didn’t even talk much.”

“You mean hearing me say I miss you isn’t enough?”

“Never.”

“Your expectations are too high.”

“Then why do you think you’re my boyfriend?” Minho winked.

“Aww, you’re such a sweet talker.” Key played along by hiding a coy smile behind his hand.

“Do you love me just that little bit more?”

“No, it’s already unhealthy enough, how much I love you. I don’t need that little bit more.”

“Why don’t I feel it then?”

“Because you’re stupid.”

“But you fell in love with stupid me.”

“Good night Minho.”

Minho laughed. “I’ll Skype you tomorrow?”

“Yeah.” Key waved a goodbye.

With a satisfied smile, Minho finally ended the call. It was past 3am in Seoul but as sleepy as Minho was, he felt all happy inside. Just being able to talk to Key online was enough to get him through one more day of being alone in Seoul. And then he would need another Skype conversation to get him through the next… until the day they could touch each other again.

Author's Note: because i'm taking too long to write the last chapter, i've decided to post this up first! already kept you guys waiting too long so here's a filler chapter (somewhat), or you could take it as part I of the ending. hehe. school assignments has been piling up, and then we have SHINee's comeback... i could hardly breathe with everything that's been happening. omg, especially the amount of minkey moments nowadays...OH SWEET HEAVENS! OTP IS REAL. :') too many emotions, i can't... so i'm going to runaway now. hahaha. hope you guys enjoyed this update!