Never Speak Too Soon

Never Speak Too Soon

When Minho got off the cab after him, Key nearly felt like pulling his hair off. Nearly because that obviously wasn't the wisest decision since his hair meant everything to him. So instead, he blew at his fringe with an annoyed huff, looking up to the heavens, asking God what he had done to deserve a stalker Minho. If not for said stalker’s insistent gaze on him, he actually would have waited for God to send him an answer or at least some kind of message to help him fend Minho off. And so, not even a minute later of staring up to the heavens, Key had to return his gaze to his very own stalker.

“What do you think you're doing now?” The defeat in Key’s tone was apparent.

Minho simply crossed his arms and gave Key a knowing look with a smile that Key wished he could smack off his face.

“You can't be expecting me to invite you up to my apartment... Don't you have a life?” Key was proud that he managed to keep his hands to himself and not let them destroy Minho’s pretty face.

Minho rubbed his chin in thought and then smirked. “Not so much actually, so I do find some amusement when I'm with you.”

“You have got to be kidding me! What does that even mean?” Key groaned.

“Come on Key, you're not even doing anything, the night is still young, let's hang out. Besides, you owe me one remember?” Minho was certainly a match for Key’s wits.

Key was tired, it had been a long day and he didn't have the energy to put himself up against an obviously determined Minho and so, he surrendered.

“Fine.” Key narrowed his eyes. “But one warning, you can talk to me about anything except for whatever happened at the bar. If you even just try mentioning as little as the name of the bar we were at, rest assured, I will not let you walk out of my apartment alive.”

A flash of disappointment appeared on Minho's face (because he did actually want to talk about that matter) but he was quick to hide it, not wanting to send off the wrong message (like he was desperate or something along that line) and choosing to look as casual as he could.

“Sure, I won't even breathe a word about how I,” Minho cleared his throat and changed his voice to imitate Key's way of speaking, “practically your mouth.”

And then the devil placed on an angelic smile. “I won't, I promise.”

Before Key could flare up like a hot air balloon, Minho somehow managed to snatch the keys in Key's hands and confidently unlocked the door to invite himself into the apartment. Said owner himself had his feet frozen to the ground as he now looked up to the skies once again, this time asking God where his brain cells had gone the entire night. And before he stepped into his own apartment, Key concluded that he should stay away from Jonghyun for a while.

 

How they ended up this way, with Minho brushing his teeth in Key’s bathroom while Key prepared coffee for the both of them, Minho credited it to his apparent hold over Key. It seemed like the fashion student wasn’t that resistant to his charm after all. True enough, they had talked about almost everything they could talk about. Key and Minho practically found out about most of the other’s life story and whatever (notably influential to their lives) happened in the nineteen years before they knew each other. It wasn’t that they asked each other formal questions systematically or in chronological order. One topic just led to another and they couldn’t put a fullstop to their conversation. To put it simply, they now knew whatever the other was willing to tell, and that was more than enough to get to know each other better and be actual friends. And well, it took the entire night so by the time they realised they’ve been talking too much, they only had about less than two hours before they had to officially wake up and go about their activities for the day, which coincidentally both started at their university. Once he was done freshening up, Minho joined Key in the kitchen and smiled a thanks as Key pushed a cup of coffee towards him while sipping on his own.

Minho lifted the cup up to his lips and took a huge gulp, letting out a satisfied sigh after. “No breakfast?”

“This is not a hotel.” Key answered with a poker face.

Minho laughed. “Then I guess we're having it in campus then.”

“I guess we are.” Key nodded and shrugged, then turning around to wash his now empty cup. “Let’s get a move on then.”

Minho hid a smile behind the cup. For the first time, Key didn’t put up a fight. In Shakespeare's language, ‘twas a good night indeed!

 

“Sneaky little bastards!”

Key and Minho stopped their conversation midway through breakfast and turned their attention towards the rude intruder at the same time, both with question marks appearing above their heads. The intruder, who went by the name of Jonghyun, slid his phone on the table where it accurately landed between the plates of Minho and Key's breakfast.

“Kim Kibum, you've failed as a best friend.” Jonghyun pointed his finger at Key’s face. “How can I only find out that you two were getting it on through this photo?!”

The photo, which Key and Minho were now staring at, captured the two of them locking lips in a compromising position at the bar the night before.

Minho picked the phone up and took a closer look at the photo as he questioned aloud. “Wait, was this when you kissed me, or when I kissed you back?”

“Not the point Choi Minho!” Key pushed Minho on his shoulder and then turned to Jonghyun. “Who sent this to you!”

“Not the point Kim Kibum.” Jonghyun shook his head and wiggled his finger at Key.

“Hyung, did you just... use my words back on me?” Key widened his eyes incredulously.

Jonghyun grinned like an accomplished kid. “I did. Smart am I?”

“Who are you and what have you done to my best friend?!” Key exclaimed rather dramatically.

Jonghyun laughed and then made eyes at Minho. “Who are you and what have you done to mine? And I mean literally.”

“A picture speaks a thousand words so I really don't have to explain anything else.” Minho smiled deviously, shooting a look at Jonghyun as he passed Jonghyun’s phone back to him. “Anyway, hyung, send me this picture, will you?”

“This is ridiculous!” Key cried out and didn’t give a chance for Jonghyun to agree to Minho’s request.

“Exactly!” Jonghyun took another look at the photo and then nodded in agreement. “How did things happen so fast?”

“Nothing happened hyung, we’re just friends alright.” Key felt the need to state the obvious.

“Key, you and I are best friends and I've never even come close to your lips before let alone touch them, and you're telling me now, you and Minho are just friends?” Jonghyun placed his hands on the table and leaned forward. “Do you think I'm stupid?”

Key leaned back into his seat, crossed his arms and gave Jonghyun a do-you-really-have-to-ask look.

“Don't answer that.” Jonghyun scowled.

Minho couldn't hold back a chuckle which was stopped immediately with one glare from Key.

Turning his attention back onto Jonghyun, Key decided to clarify things. “Hyung, remember that time you kissed a guy for the first time at some club just because you couldn't resist his eye smile? What was his name? Onew was it?”

Jonghyun blushed a deep red. “Why are you bringing this up?”

“Because it's somewhat the same situation.” Key exhaled. “There's nothing more to it, there never will be.”

“Oh really?” Jonghyun turned to look at Minho.

He had fallen silent, lips pressed together, showing no hint of emotions, making himself completely unreadable to anyone. A defence mechanism was what that was. Jonghyun then looked back at Key. Key was expressionless too; he had even picked his fork up again to continue with his breakfast. Jonghyun understood that Key wanted his words to be final. There was no room for contention. Although he could feel there was something funny going on, Jonghyun knew it was no business of his to intervene in their relationship matters. His eyes once again travelled from Key to Minho and then back before he shrugged his shoulders.

“Anything you say Key... anything you say.”

Silence surrounded the trio for a moment before Minho pushed his tray of food away and then stood up from his seat.

“Alright guys, enjoy breakfast, I gotta run for my class now, see you around!” Minho nodded at Jonghyun and then turned to Key.

“Oh yeah, Key, thanks for the toothbrush this morning!” Minho winked before finally leaving the best friends to themselves.

As expected, Jonghyun raised his eyebrows in question.

“We talked through the night okay, to get to know each other as friends, that's it.” Key explained and then grumbled to himself. “He did that on purpose, he always does things on purpose.”

Jonghyun looked amusedly at Key and paused for a minute to observe his best friend before he restarted the conversation.

“Hey Kibum, you do know that Onew and I went out for a while after that right? And just a reminder, we are still seeing each other on and off... so if you say we’re in a similar situation, well…”

Key looked up from his plate of food and understood Jonghyun’s unspoken words. He bit his bottom lip rather worryingly, as Jonghyun had noticed, and remained silent, trapped in his own thoughts.  

Jonghyun knew Key had a lot going on in his mind. What exactly though, he didn’t know. But it was actually considerably refreshing to see Key caught in a spider web situation. Minho, the spider of course and Key the poor insect that was helplessly trapped in the web and well, just waiting for its time to be attacked. And Jonghyun reckoned that the time was coming sooner than Key thinks...

Author's Note: i actually wrote this on a long bus ride! actually quite amazed with myself considering how i was constantly surrounded by noise and the bus jerking and all. haha! hope this new chapter isn't a disappointment! looking forward to comments~ so please leave one! and thank you so much for subscribing. :D