Never Speak Too Soon

Never Speak Too Soon

“Can we go, Kibum?”

“No.”

“Then can I leave?”

“No.”

“Why not!”

“Because I’m your best friend and you have the duty to be there for me whenever I need you.”

“And I’ve been here for over an hour! It should be your turn to fulfill best friend duties now.”

Kim Kibum, who was more commonly known as Key, let out a sigh and finally peeled his eyes away from the crowd of university students that filled the cafeteria to spare a look at his best friend, Kim Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun hyung, I haven’t found the one yet.”

“Your standards are too high, Kibum. I’ve pointed out a number of attractive guys but no one is good enough for you. Stop being so picky!” Jonghyun whined uncharacteristically.

It was ironic, really. The reason why Jonghyun had decided to join Key, who he found tucked away at a table in a corner that overlooked the entire cafeteria, was because he thought his best friend could entertain him somehow. Yet, little did Jonghyun expect that he would end up feeling more bored than he already was. And all this because Key had to, by hook or by crook, find that one guy who could catch his eye.

“Of course I have to be picky with the guy who’s going to be the model for my clothes! If you need me to remind you, this is my blood and sweat we’re talking about.” Key defended himself and in the process returned to survey the crowd because he was afraid he would miss out that one perfect guy who could model the clothes he designed.

Organised by the university’s department of Fashion Design, the annual fashion show which showcased the works of the fashion students was a week away and all that was left for Key to do was to find a model for his clothes. He thought he had already got over the most difficult part of the entire project (designing the outfit) but apparently, he was wrong. The fashion student never knew finding a model would be so difficult. He didn’t remember it being this problematic when he found Yoona last year for the first fashion showcase he participated in so he wasn’t prepared whatsoever for the trouble he was going through right now. Like Jonghyun, he was on the verge of losing his sanity, if not for his belief that all good things come to those who wait…

“I don’t believe I can’t find one guy who is decent enough to be my model so I’m not going anywhere until I find him.” There was a fire in Key’s eyes that burned with determination.

“And how long do you think that would take?” Jonghyun downed the last of his coke and began spinning the empty can on the table.

“You know Jjong, if you really wanted to leave, you would have long ago.” Key commented, his eyes still raking the throng of students in the cafeteria.

Jonghyun grunted in response. And that was all he could do because suddenly, Key had sprung up from his casual position in his chair with widened eyes.

“He’s the one!” Key gasped. “I have to have him as my model!”

 “Who?” The impossible had happened. Jonghyun was amazed (and even thrilled now) that someone had finally caught the eye of the almighty Key.

“Oh my god, Jjong! He’s even walking towards our direction!” Key couldn’t contain his happiness as he excitedly tugged on Jonghyun’s arm. “Look! Doesn’t he look perfect?”

Jonghyun followed the direction of Key’s eyes and instantly knew who he was referring to.

“You mean Minho?” And immediately after he voiced his question, Jonghyun regretted his words.

The smile on Key’s face froze as he turned to face Jonghyun with a glare so fierce Jonghyun felt like running for his life.

“You know that guy and you didn’t tell me about his existence?!” Key hissed with repressed anger, tightening his grip on Jonghyun’s arm and continuing to do so even though he saw his hyung wincing with pain. “We wouldn’t have wasted so much time if you had just recommended him to me!”

Trying his best to pry Kibum’s hand away finger by finger, Jonghyun laughed uncomfortably. “Would you forget about this if I introduce you to Minho right now?”

Without waiting for Key to answer, Jonghyun turned and waved his free hand in the air. “Hey Minho! Over here!”

Like a magic spell casted upon him, Key instantly released his grip on Jonghyun’s arm and placed the friendliest smile he could muster as he turned around to receive Minho who had obediently listened to Jonghyun’s instruction.

“Minho, this is Key and he’s interested in you!” As soon as Minho was within earshot, the words fell out of Jonghyun’s mouth before he could process how wrong it sounded.

“You idiot.” Key groaned and slapped the back of Jonghyun’s head which Jonghyun knew he fully deserved.

Key expected Minho to be a) shocked, b) embarrassed, c) offended or d) all of the above but instead, Minho’s hearty laugh filled the air. The best friends could only look at him in confusion.

“I get that a lot.” Minho simply stated because he knew Jonghyun and Key was waiting for him to speak. “In fact, someone confessed to me just when I was about to enter the cafeteria.”

“Oh wow, you’re even cockier than Jonghyun.” Key failed to resist speaking his mind.

Minho let out a low chuckle with a can’t-help-it expression on his face.

“This is why, Kibum, I didn’t think about introducing him to you.” Jonghyun found a reason to explain himself. “Minho doesn’t need anything else to make him more confident than he already is.”

Key nodded halfheartedly because he had more important things to do than consider if that reason was enough to let Jonghyun off the hook.

“It’s good that you’re confident because I really need someone like you.” With eyes so sincere, Key went straight to the point.

Minho smiled. “I’m flattered, I really am, but I’m not-”

“Can you be my model?” Key interrupted.

“-looking for a relationship.” Minho finished, speaking at the same time when Key interrupted him.

And suddenly, time froze. Until Jonghyun burst out laughing.

Minho cleared his throat awkwardly. “What… just happened?”

“You thought Kibum wanted to ask you to be his boyfriend when all he wanted was for you to be his model!” Jonghyun explained as he wiped off the tears at the corner of his eyes. “This makes the wait so worthwhile!”

Minho raised an eyebrow at Jonghyun as he clutched his stomach and continued laughing while Key just rolled his eyes.

“Ignore him.” Key pushed Jonghyun aside so he could properly talk to Minho. “Anyway, back to where we were, could you please do me this favour? Be my model?”

“So you weren’t…?” Minho just had to ask to be sure.

“No, frankly speaking, you’re not my type.” Key wasn’t one to lie. “But you’re exactly the person I know would be able to carry off the clothes I designed for my upcoming showcase.”

Minho nodded to show that he was listening and taking in Key’s views.

“So? What do you think?” Key asked with a hint of nervousness in his voice. “Can you please be my model?”

With Key looking so fragile as though his heart would break if he were to reject him, Minho smiled with a shrug. “Why not? Just tell me the time and place.”

Key’s eyes widened with delight, unable to contain his joy as he threw his arms around Minho’s neck to give him a big hug. “Thanks! You’re a life saver!”

It was definitely not the first time Minho received a hug from someone but it was the first time he actually felt heat on his cheeks and had no clue where he should place his hands. As much as he didn’t show it, Minho was indeed feeling pretty awkward and embarrassed especially because of the misunderstanding. He was also, honestly, slightly hurt that he wasn’t Key’s type. Yet, Minho didn’t know if he was affected because his ego was crushed (a little) knowing that he could be disliked by people or because of some other reason he couldn’t put a finger on just yet…

“Are you having second thoughts?” Key’s worried voice entered his mind.

Minho snapped out of his thoughts and immediately shook his head. “No, of course not, it’s just modeling right? There’s nothing I can’t do.”