Never Speak Too Soon

Never Speak Too Soon

“That must have been the longest bath I’ve ever taken.” Minho quipped as he stepped out of the bathroom while rubbing his hair dry with a towel. He was topless, proudly displaying his chocolate abs and the rest of his beautifully defined body for Key’s eyes to feast on, and only wearing his favourite pair of jeans which were riding low on his slim hips.

Key, who had come out earlier to let Minho have the space for himself to get a proper bath, was lazing around on Minho’s bed, lying comfortably on his back and simply enjoying the softness of the mattress. He would have succumbed to sleep if not for Minho’s voice that pulled him out of dreamland. With a yawn, Key rolled over so that he was now lying on his stomach and then wiggled a finger at his boyfriend.

“Nope, remember the time at my place when I was in the bathroom when you arrived and you just happily walked in to take advantage of me?”

Key’s attempt to trigger Minho’s memory was a success since a loud laugh escaped the taller man’s mouth as he nodded.

“Well, yeah, that was definitely longer since I bothered to put up a fight.” Key reasoned with a slight hint of disappointment in his voice because of the realisation that he no longer bothered to play hard to get with Minho anymore. Those were the days…

“Yeah, and last time, I had to carry you out because you couldn’t walk after, remember?” Minho smirked and continued speaking even though Key had glared at him. “I’m glad you’re good with details baby.”

Key pushed himself off the bed to grab a shirt from Minho’s wardrobe and then threw it over to him in hope that it would hit Minho on his face. That irritating tone in Minho’s voice was just what Key couldn’t put up with. To no avail, Minho’s reflexes were naturally fast and he caught the shirt with ease and accuracy.

“I’m glad you’re back to your normal self.” Key replied with a roll of his eyes. “Now put your shirt on, we’ve got serious stuff to work out.”

“Actually, I rather like how we are now so let’s put that on hold.” Minho disagreed with Key’s suggestion though he still obediently wore his shirt. “Besides, I thought the just now already cleared everything between us.”

“Minho.”

At the sound of the resolute tone in Key’s voice, Minho stopped smiling and readied himself for what was about to come.

“Alright, fine, where do you want to start then?”

“Let’s head back to the workshop.”

“What?” Minho frowned. “Why?”

“You’ll see…” Key stretched out his hand for Minho to take. “Come on, let’s go.”

Minho took Key’s hand with a sigh. “This better be good.”

Key only smiled as they left the comfort of Minho’s dorm for the fashion workshop…

-----------------

“I don’t get why we have to come all the way back here just so we could talk about what’s happening between us…” Minho complained in a mumble under his breath as he settled down on the chair that Key had signalled him to sit on.

“I heard you…” Key replied while he busied himself with sorting out the mess on his workstation, carefully picking up each piece of clothing and then putting them on hangers so he could display them neatly on the clothes rack behind him. Altogether, he had produced enough pieces with his very own hands to make six different set of clothes that were all solely made to fit one person and one person only. There was no question who that person was and Key was looking at him right now.

Minho raised an eyebrow at Key’s collection of clothes. “Is this why you didn’t leave the workshop for days?”

Key widened his eyes in surprise. “How did you know?”

“I met Nicole.” And before Key could say anything, Minho immediately added on, “Don’t ask. It’s a long story but I heard these clothes are not for academic purposes so why did you spend so much time on them?”

“They’re not exactly perfect just yet, I still have some final adjustments to do but…” Key pushed the clothes rack in front of Minho and then revealed the answer that his boyfriend was looking for. “These are for you.”

Minho couldn’t believe his ears. Key’s answer was made up of four simple words but the meaning behind these words was nowhere near simple. This Minho knew but at that moment in time when he was in complete shock, he could not seem to understand it at all.

“Are you… asking me to be your model again?” Minho dumbly asked the first thought that came into his mind.

Key moved away from the clothes rack and stepped towards where Minho was sitting. Standing in between Minho’s legs, the fashion student swallowed his laughter and reached out to gently push Minho’s jaw back up, closing the mouth that had dropped open when he had admitted that the clothes were made for Minho.

“Not that…” Key shook his head while resting his hands on Minho’s shoulders and at the same time, giving him a free massage as he began his explanation. “You know how I’m going to be away for 6 months?”

Minho nodded.

“Well, I just thought that for every month I’m not going to be with you, you can maybe wear one set of clothes that I designed and personally created for you… does this make sense?”

Minho blinked. “One set of clothes for one entire month?”

Key increased the pressure of his fingers on Minho’s shoulders. “What? Are you complaining that I should have made one set of clothes per day instead? Do you know that that means I have to make 181 outfits in total?!”

“Did you actually count?”

Key immediately shut his mouth, realising he had revealed that he had indeed did think about making 181 outfits for the period of time he wasn’t going to be in the same country as Minho. Truth is, he wanted to do something for Minho after hurting him with his silly suggestion of breaking up. And there was nothing Key did better than designing and making clothes so why not just do that? After all, he already had a file of designs drawn especially for Minho since he always had inspiration when his boyfriend was around. All Key had to do was look at Minho and different images would pop into his head. Inspiration would hit him and he would start sketching out various styles that he thought Minho would look attractive in. One day, he could sketch out a full outfit including accessories, and other days, Key could do a rough drawing of a shirt in his own style that he believed would fit Minho perfectly. So, with all the sketches he had stored safely in a file, Key was only left with producing the actual clothes. Still, that would require a whole lot of effort and time on his part. Of course, he had a choice of leaving the work to others but Key couldn’t trust how his designs would turn out if he were to pay others to produce the clothes for him. And knowing that it was Minho he was creating these clothes for, Key didn’t hesitate one bit and all the more wanted to make the clothes himself. Yes, it was going to be tiring, tedious and everything that was going to test his patience but he knew it would be worth it in the end. Besides, it was about time his designs became real… his file was already bursting with too many sketches as it is.

It didn’t take long for Key to decide that a break up was truly a stupid idea after hearing what Minho had to say. If they couldn’t get through a long distance relationship now, then how would they be able to handle anything worse that might come in the future? Also, why break up when they haven’t even tried the whole long distance thing yet? Although Key still had his worries, he couldn’t deny Minho made more sense than him. Most importantly, it had hit him hard when Minho threatened that he might move on and wasn’t going to wait for Key to come back. The possibility of losing Minho honestly scared Key to no end. And so, the night he had left Minho’s dorm, Key had made his decision. Yet, he didn’t want to simply run back to Minho and literally kiss and make up. He knew he had to do something more. And that something more was the rack of clothes Minho was now looking incredulously at.

“Key… baby…” Minho gasped as he gently moved Key enough for him to have the space to stand up and appreciate the appealing clothes that his boyfriend had made just for him. It was not just any 6 outfits, but 6 outfits Minho knew he could live on for the rest of his life. 6 outfits that he didn’t have to try but know they would fit his body perfectly. 6 outfits that were the most stylish clothes Minho had ever seen. 6 outfits that Key had designed with him in mind and produced with his very own hands. 6 outfits that no one else but Minho could proudly call his own.

“I don’t think I can bear to actually wear them out…” Even when browsing the different sets of clothes, Minho was gentle as can be, almost as if he was touching a new born baby.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Key stood next to Minho and admired his masterpieces as well. “It would be an insult to me if you don’t wear them.”

Minho pulled Key closer and hugged him sideways. “You’re amazing.”

“I know.” Key smugly agreed with a grin.

Minho took Key’s hands and caressed the little wounds that marked his skin. “Did you get all these cuts and scrapes from making these clothes?”

“It’s no big deal, I always get them.” Key answered with a shrug. “It’s my job.”

“But it’s my heart that’s hurting when I see these cuts on your hands.”

Key laughed, shivering exaggeratedly like he was shaking off all the goose bumps he got. “One thing’s for sure, I’ll definitely not miss these cheesy lines from you when I leave for New York.”

When Key felt Minho’s body tense up the moment he said the words ‘New York’, he turned towards his boyfriend and looked into his eyes.

“You think we can do this?” Key asked, unable to stop the question that had been bothering him since he knew he was heading to New York for half a year from escaping his mouth.

“We can. And we will.” Minho reassured Key. “6 months will be over sooner than we know it.”

“I hope so…” Key sighed.

“I’m honestly more worried about you having the time of your life there and forgetting about me.” Minho confessed as his arms circled Key’s slender waist.

Key naturally secured his arms around Minho’s neck and smiled deviously. “Then you jolly well hound me through whatever ways possible via the internet to stay in contact with me, you hear me Choi Minho?”

“Loud and clear.” Minho answered. “So does this mean we’re gonna tackle this whole long distance thing together now?”

“Why ask when you already know my answer?” Key replied with a question instead.

“Because I want to hear you say it, I want you to promise me that you’re not going to give up without even trying.”

“Minho…”

Everything that was left unsaid by Key, Minho knew. Just through the look in Key’s eyes, Minho could understand the unspoken worries Key still had and the troubles that Key was afraid they would go through. Key was obviously still not fully convinced that they could get through this but he was going to give it a try for Minho’s sake. And so, knowing that Key was putting all his trust on him, Minho assured his boyfriend with a tighter hug around his waist.

“You have nothing to worry about Kibum, I don't see us breaking up in the 6 months that we're going to be apart... Heck, I can't even see us breaking up at all. Trust me, I'm here to stay.” Minho promised.

Key smiled and let out a satisfied sigh. “Oh god, what's happening to us? We're becoming like one of those conventional cliché couples out there...”

“What's wrong with that?” Minho returned a smile and rested his forehead against Key’s. “I like where and how we are now."

“Did I seem like I was complaining? Because you know, I wasn't." Key clarified.

Minho let out a low chuckle at the innocent expression on his boyfriend's face. Widened eyes, pouty lips and that was enough for Minho to give in to temptation to kiss those pursed lips of Key's.

“Can I swipe everything off your desk and lay you down on it instead?” Minho asked against Key’s lips.

Key pushed Minho away as he burst out laughing at his boyfriend's attempt to take on a Hollywood scene.

“Hey, I was serious!”

“Sure you were...” Key pulled Minho in for another kiss but made sure he steered them both away from his precious work station. Things were going to get heated and he couldn't risk anything from happening to his beloved desk. Sometimes, especially times like this, it was better to take some precaution…

At that thought, Key suddenly broke the kiss, much to Minho’s displeasure.

“Kibum…” Minho whined, very much unhappy that Key had put a stop to their moment.

“Not here.” Key explained. “We should go back to your room.”

Minho groaned. “I really hate how we have to keep changing locations.”

“Well, if it makes you feel better, you wouldn’t have to worry about that come September.”

Minho let out a sigh and pulled Key in for a hug.

“Kibum… I know you still have your reservations about long distance relationships but you gotta stop thinking about worse case scenarios. Why aren’t you confident that we can get through this together?”

“You’re the one, Minho.” Key rested his head against Minho’s sturdy shoulder, his voice muffled as he spoke into his shirt. “I don’t want to lose you just because I want to fulfil my other dream.”

Minho gently moved Key away so he could look him in the eye.

“I can’t help you with your dream of becoming a fashion designer… but I’ll make sure your other dream will come true, cause it’s my dream too.” Minho’s voice was filled with so much determination that was enough to make Key’s worries disappear into thin air.

A smile was brought back onto Key’s face and a mischievous one it was as he asked his question. “And what’s that dream that we both share huh?”

“To be together, forever.” Minho smirked, playing along with Key.

“Oh god, can’t believe you actually dared to say that!”

“Come on, you were thinking it!”

“But I didn’t say it!”

“Makes no difference.”

“Make a whole lot of difference.”

“At least I had the balls to say it.”

“What are you implying, Choi Minho?“ A death glare was sent to Minho’s direction.

“That I love you?” Minho gulped.

“Ha. Ha. Nice try.” Key pushed Minho’s hands off his waist and then walked away, finally leaving the workshop.

“Hey! Kibum! Wait up! Where are you going?”

Silence.

“Okay okay! I’m sorry!” Minho raised the white flag.

Key paused in his footsteps and turned back to look at Minho with a victorious smile.

“You may have the balls to say that, but you’re so whipped you know that?”

Minho shrugged as he joined Key by his side, now walking together along the hallway. “What can I say? Love does stupid things to people… and I’m only human.”

“Try saying annoying cheesy lines like that again and I’ll-”

“I love you Kibum.” Minho grinned. “So? What are you going to do to me now?”

“Please. Just shut up.”

“Why? Do you want me to prove it with actions instead?”

“Seriously, if will make you shut up, I wouldn’t mind you ing me the whole night. At least I’ll get to have some form of pleasure from that rather than having to deal with the nuisance you are right now.”

“Is that a proposition?”

“Will you agree to my terms and conditions?”

“Wow, you’re serious.”

“Mmhmm. Why? You don’t like this idea?”

“Of course not.” Minho paused, a sudden realisation hitting him. “Wait, you’re making me sound like I’ll do anything for .”

“Do you not?”

“Kim Kibum!”

That night, a new war was declared between Choi Minho & Kim Kibum. This... was their special way of spicing up their love life.

Author's Note: oh thank god AFF's back! and most importantly, SHINee's BAAAAAAAAAACK! i have not been calm for the past week. the teasers are killing me, oh wait, it killed me. i practically had breathing difficulties when i saw them half in umm, ually suggestive positions? hahaha. imagine if they were topless together... especially minkey. OH. MY. let's not go there. hee. but i gotta say, my favourite has to be the group photo. The boys really didn't have to be topless to take my breath away. The images are all kinds of beautiful and i just can't wait for Sherlock! okay, better stop myself from blabbering now. anyway, hope you guys found your way back here and enjoyed the update! one (?) more chapter to go!