Five Years Later

Our Royal Hours

“Yunho, you are the crown prince. You should not have run away from class like that. I will not entertain anymore of these instances if it happened again. Do you understand me?” The queen said sternly, looking down at the five-year-old boy sitting on the floor.

 

The boy’s eyes shifted around, his lips forming a pout which caused the queen to sigh.

 

“Jung Yunho, what are you supposed to say?” She asked, her tone still stiff and cold.

 

A minute of silence passed between the two of them before the boy finally said something.

 

“B-but  wanted to play at the playground.” Upon saying that, Yunho’s face light up. “Mummy, have you ever seen the kids playing at that playground before? Everybody is playing together. I want to play with them. I’m sure it’s going to be fun. I-”

 

“Yunho!” The boy looked down immediately, his front teeth biting down on his lip.

 

“How many times must I tell you that you are not allowed to mix with those children? They are not of the same status with you. They are dangerous. Do you hear me?”

 

“But Mummy, they’re my school friends.”

 

“I will remind you once again. They may be studying in the same school as you but they are not your friends. Remember that, Yunho. From now on, you will be schooling in the royal school. No more learning in a commoner’s school. I regret my decision.” The queen said.

 

“My Queen.” A woman rushed into the room even without the queen’s approval.

 

“What-”

 

“The old king, ma’am.” The servant said, bowing as she started crying. Yunho’s eyes bulged wide, easily guessing what has happened.

 

“Grandfather.” Yunho murmured, already standing up and ready to run to the old king’s chamber but the queen stopped him.

 

“Royals should not run. Even in the times of emergency. This will be the last time I hear you call me Mummy. Next time, a punishment will be on you if you don’t call me with the proper name, Yunho.” Yunho’s face hardened even more upon hearing that.

 

“Yes, my Queen.” Yunho said before leaving the room, heading towards the sound of servants and officials in the palace crying for the old king’s death.

 


 

“Jaejun ah, did you see the prince just now? He was pulled by his bodyguards when he was about to run to the playground.” The boy asking just pout when he didn’t get a response from the boy who was still colouring his drawing.

 

“Hey, Han Jaejun. I’m talking to you.” The boy said, shaking Jaejun’s shoulder hard.

 

“I heard you, Changmin ah.” Jaejun finally said, looking at the boy sitting beside him. The boy grinned, happy that he had Jaejun’s attention on him.

 

“So?”

 

“What so?” Jaejun asked, putting down his crayon.

 

His eyes diverted from Changmin to the door behind the boy. He frowned seeing the owner of the orphanage looking at the both of them.

 

“What’s wrong, Mrs Lee?” Jaejun asked before his eyes chanced upon the man standing beside her.

 

Jaejun, I would like to see you in my office.” Jaejun looked at Changmin before nodding to Mrs Lee.

 

Following the two adults to the familiar orphanage’s office, Jaejun sat down beside the man as instructed. His eyes wandered towards Mrs Lee that was sitting at the other side of the oak table then towards the man who was sitting beside him.

 

“Jaejun ah?”

 

“Hmm?” Jaejun looked back at Mrs Lee, wanting to know the reason why he was called to the office.

 

“The man sitting beside you is Kim Kangwoo.” Mrs Lee said and Jaejun looked at the man who was now smiling at him.

 

“Jaejun ah, this man here is adopting you.” The word ‘adopting’ dawned on Jaejun as leaving all his friends here in the orphanage. His lips start to tremble as he tried to choke back a sob.

 

“What’s wrong, Jaejun ah?” Mrs Lee asked as Jaejun felt a warm hand on his shoulder. Jaejun looked at the man that was supposed to be his father now.

 

“What about Changmin? He’s going to be alone.” Jaejun said, worried about the boy who was only friendly at Jaejun.

 

“Oh don’t worry. Changmin is getting adopted too.” Mrs Lee informed him. Jaejun went silent and that urged Mrs Lee to continue.

 

“Jaejun ah, after your adoption, your name will be changed to Kim Jaejoong. Can you accept that, Jaejun ah?” Jaejun looked at the man before looking back at Mrs Lee.  

 

“I’m going to go back to my room and pack my things.” Jaejun said, hopping down from the seat before running out of the room.

 

“Can I follow him?” Kangwoo asked and the woman nod, giving her approval.

 

The twenty-six year old man walked out, seeing the boy disappear into the same room that Kangwoo had first met him. Jaejun was alone, dumping his personal things into a small bag as fast as he could.

 

“Jaejun ah.” Kangwoo called. Jaejun stopped, looking behind at Kangwoo.

 

“H-Hello.” Jaejun said, greeting the man. Kangwoo goes down on his knees before Jaejun, smiling widely.

 

“Hello, Jaejun. Can I ask you a question?”

 

“Umph!”

 

“That Changmin...do you like him?”

 

“Changmin, he...I’m his only friend. He doesn’t like the other kids here. They bully Changmin because his parents left him here while he was a baby. Like me.” Jaejun said which caused Kangwoo to caress the boy’s cheek gently.

 

“Don’t worry too much. You want to know something? Changmin is actually getting adopted by my friend. So, anytime you want to play with him, I can arrange that for you.”

 

“Really?” “Definitely. It’s as easy as counting 1, 2 and 3.” Kangwoo said, assuring Jaejun greatly. He put on a big smile before going back to his bag to pack his things.

 

“Slow down, Jaejun ah. You can take your time here.”

 

“Jaejoong. Call me Jaejoong.That’s the name you chose for me, right daddy?” Jaejun asked and Kangwoo just smiled, happy that the boy had accepted him in his life.

 

Entering the car that was provided, Kangwoo introduced his little family to Jaejun.

 

“Why is there only three people in the photograph?” Jaejun asked.

 

“This one is me." Kangwoo said, pointing to himself.

 

"This little boy here is our family's driver's son, Kim Heechul."

 

"What about this one?" Jaejoong asked, pointing to the older man in the picture.

 

"Oh that one. That's my father. Your new grandfather. Kim Jihoo."

 


 

“Stop it! You’re hurting me! Don’t beat me!” The young boy cried, his arms covering his face as the other kids started throwing things at him.

 

“Stop it! Don’t make me call my brother! He will chase all of you! Junho hyung!”

 

“Your brother left you, you stupid kid!”

 

“He didn’t leave me. He will come back. He promised me.” The boy said as he started crying.

 

He let the other kids continue throwing everything that they could take on him. He felt someone hug him and he felt the urge to smile, thinking that it was his brother who had come back for him.

 

“Stop beating him! I will tell all your parents about it if you don’t.” The saviour said who had already stood before him, blocking the crying boy from the other kids.

 

“Touch him again and I’ll beat you.” The saviour said before the other kids went running away. Once the coast was clear, the saviour looked back at the crying boy.

 

“Don’t cry. My mummy said that boys are not supposed to cry because we’re tough.”

 

“Y-You’re a boy. You’re not my brother.”

 

“Hmm? I’m Yoochun. Park Yoochun. I just move here. What’s your name?” Yoochun held out his hand and the other reached out for his hand, shaking it lightly.

 

“Kim Junsu.” The boy said softly.

 

“Junsu... Cute name. Like you also.” Junsu smiled hearing what Yoochun said.

 

“Junsu, you want to be my friend?”

 

“Umph!” Yoochun pulled Junsu up, dusting the sand off the boy’s clothes.

 

“Now, catch me if you can!” Yoochun shouted, already running away.

 

“Wait for me!” Junsu screamed, holding onto his dolphin plush toy before running after Yoochun. The two continued running in circles, laughing loudly.

 

“What will Yoochun say if he finally finds out that he’s being cast away just like that?” A woman said, standing by the window as she looked at the two boys running around the playground.

 

“I didn’t cast him away. It’s just...difficult for him if the world knows about him.”

 

“Difficult for him or difficult for you? After all, you are the king that everybody respects.”

 

“Hyojoo, you know that’s not what I meant by doing this.” The man said, placing his hand on the woman’s shoulder.

 

“Fine. I’ll stay out of your way from now on. Both Yoochun and me.” Hyojoo said, brushing Ilwoo’s hands off her shoulder.  

 

“Thank you, Hyojoo ah. I need to go now. The funeral procession is waiting for me.” Ilwoo said, turning to leave.

 

“May he rest in peace. After he finds out that his only son had a mistress and another son in this world.”

 

“Hyojoo!”

 

“Was I wrong? You did tell me that once you told him about the both of us, he got into a heart attack.”

 

“Park Hyojoo, as much as I wanted to tell him about us, he is still my father and I never meant for him to be so shocked about it.” Ilwoo said, his face hardening.

 

His intention was not to shock his father until he died. He only wanted to introduce his father to his little secret family.

 

“Well, the truth didn’t change. He still died.” Hyojoo said.

 

“I’m leaving.” Ilwoo informed her, walking out of the house.

 

“One day, Yoochun ah. You will enter the palace soon, Yoochun ah. I promise you.”

 

Wow...80 subscribers just from the forewords? You guys are the best! Well, hope you enjoyed this first chapter. It's just a brief introduction to everyone. Hope you enjoy it!