Number 1 on Speed Dial

My Forced Boyfriend

Kyungsoo tried avoiding Jongin. He went to school just in time to class and today he planned on hiding during lunch. If his feat worked, he would skip lunch for the rest of his days in high school. He was yet to come up with a plan to change his home economics time slot but he would get to it.

 

The first part of his morning was a success and now he was hiding and evading every window, just in case. He looked like a spy trying to cross thru laser beams, but without the laser beams. He looked kind of ridiculous.

 

Everyone was supposed to be in the cafeteria by now so Kyungsoo risked a trip to his locker. Trying to avoid being seen he didn’t noticed the giant coming his way and he bumped against Chanyeol, making the taller tumble and falling down himself.

 

“Oh, are you alright?”

 

Chanyeol asked and Kyungsoo considered himself blessed at this small encounter.

 

“Yeah.”

 

Chanyeol helped him up and their hands even touched! Kyungsoo was feeling extremely confident these days so he ventured into a conversation.

 

“You play the guitar?”

 

“Yeah, that and a few other instruments.”

 

“Cool.”

 

“Do you play?”

 

“Well, not yet. But I was thinking on buying a guitar.”

 

“Sounds great. If you need help picking a model ask me anytime.”

 

“Yeah! I mean yeah… that would be great.”

 

“Well, see you around.”

 

Chanyeol went his way and Kyungsoo kept (quite creepily) staring at him until he was out of sight. The smile on his face could not be bigger. He just got a reason to talk to Chanyeol! Now, he just needed to convince his mom to get him a guitar.

 

Kyungsoo’s happiness was short lived as he felt himself being shoved against the lockers and Jongin coming extremely close to him until their eyes were on the same level just and inch away.

 

“Are you trying to hide from me?”

 

“N… no.”

 

Jongin let out a bitter chuckle.

 

“You better not be. And if you skip lunch one more time…”

 

“You are always threatening me. That’s how you treat your boyfriend?”

 

“Now you are my boyfriend?”

 

Jongin closed the remaining distance until his lips were near Kyungsoo’s ear. Kyungsoo could smell Jongin (and he smelled quite nice).

 

“Then act like it.”

 

Jongin said the last thing and stormed out of the place towards the cafeteria leaving Kyungsoo more than a little flustered.

 

 

In the afternoon Kyungsoo was picking some books from his locker when he felt Jongin approach him.

 

“Give me your phone.”

 

“Why?”

 

Jongin always short in words and patience snatched Kyungsoo’s bag and took the phone himself. He dialled a number and his own mobile started ringing. He wrote something in it and proceeded to take a selca. Then he kept pushing buttons. He gave Kyungsoo his phone back and with his own took a picture of Kyungsoo who looked, well, confused.

 

“Answer whenever I call you.”

 

And like that he left.

 

Kyungsoo checked his phone. Jongin’s number was saved as ‘My Boyfriend <3’ and attached to it was Jongin’s recently taken selca as the caller picture. Jongin even went to the trouble of saving himself as #1 on speed dial.

 

 

Kyungsoo was in the cafeteria line with his friends. As soon as he reached the end he found himself under the watch of two giant shadows. Sehun and Yifan were forcibly escorting him to their table.

 

This was known as the ‘popular table’. It was always the three friends. Then Tao was added to the group when he transferred school. The only other person who managed to get social status upgrade was Luhan when he became Sehun’s boyfriend. Now it seemed it was Kyungsoo’s time.

 

It was all very overwhelming. He still felt this was a joke of some sort and let’s be honest; he was being forced to join in.

Jongin looked at him when he sat down at the table. Today he was sitting next to Luhan, across from Jongin. On his other side was Tao.

 

Yifan, Sehun and Jongin were engrossed into conversation, mainly talking about shoes if Kyungsoo was keeping track of it. Tao kept telling things to Kyungsoo but he could not understand more than two words.

 

“He’s asking you if you are eating your tatter tots.”

 

Luhan saved him from the miscommunication.

 

“Ah! No, you can have them.”

 

Kyungsoo saw as Tao became instantly happy and began eating the small potatoes. He also noticed how Yifan started eating from Tao’s plate. Kyungsoo decided to ignore this and turned to Luhan.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“No problem. He is a transfer so it’s still hard to understand him. You will get better with time.”

 

You will get better with time. Luhan was assuming that Kyungsoo would be here long enough. But why? How long was he supposed to keep this going?

 

Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin who gave him a small smile. It was so sudden that for a moment he thought he imagined it.

 

 

Kyungsoo was running late out of class since the teacher decided to give them all a late speech. Kyungsoo’s mobile started buzzing and he could see the messages pilling up.

 

My Boyfriend <3: Where are you?

My Boyfriend <3: Where are you?

My Boyfriend <3: I said, where are you?!

My Boyfriend <3: Pick up your phone.

My Boyfriend <3: Pick up or you are dead!

 

Kyungsoo: In class

 

My Boyfriend <3: How can you still be in class?

My Boyfriend <3: Where are you?

 

Gosh, why was he even acting up like that? When Kyungsoo finally made it out of the classroom he knew he would not have time for lunch since he had to go to the library. Jongin was there waiting for him. Kyungsoo let out a small sigh and tried to ignore Jongin walking past him. Jongin stopped Kyungsoo, pulling him by his arm.

 

“You weren’t lying.”

 

Kyungsoo just gave him a deadpan stare.

 

“I have to go to the library.”

 

“I don’t want to go to the library. Let’s go to the cafeteria.”

 

“I’m not telling you to come with me! I am telling you I am going to the library so let go of my arm.”

 

“You are trying to avoid me again?”

 

Kyungsoo let out another sigh.

 

“Look, I have a life you know. I have classes and club and my own friends. I still don’t understand this game you are playing but this is school and I’ll take a hundred beatings before letting you ruin my grades. I need a scholarship to get into college.”

 

Jongin had eased his grip on Kyungsoo’s arm and he took his chance and started walking towards the library.

 

Jongin didn’t follow him and thank goodness he didn’t because his one true love (aka Chanyeol) was in the library. 

 

Kyungsoo returned the books he had and went on to look for more. He ventured and went towards Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol was reading a book while a big pair of headphones covered his ears.

 

“Hi!”

 

Kyungsoo motioned to Chanyeol who took off his headphones.

 

“Oh, hi Kyungsoo!”

 

Kyungsoo was living in the clouds. Chanyeol knew his name and they spent the next 20 minutes of lunch break talking. Talking to Chanyeol was easy and Kyungsoo felt free of all worries.

 

Even when school was over that day he felt a lingering happiness until Jongin met his steps.

 

“Carry this.”

 

Jongin dropped his backpack on Kyungsoo’s arm. Ah, of course, he was expecting for something like this to happen. He was Jongin’s slave after all. Kyungsoo put the backpack on his shoulder. Luckily, it wasn’t that heavy.

 

“Where do I need to take this?”

 

Jongin shrugged.

 

“Just follow me”.

 

So Kyungsoo did. He had tons of homework to do and was considering dropping the bag and making a run for his life but he knew that would only get him dead.

 

They visited a convenience store and Jongin also made him carry the two bags with snacks. Then they went to some sort of old warehouse. For a moment Kyungsoo was afraid that Jongin would do something to him, like chop him into pieces but soon he heard some music playing inside.

 

When they got in he noticed all of Jongin’s friends were here. They had a sofa and a few chairs. The place was nice and cosy. Kyungsoo dropped the bags on the table and their backpacks on the floor.

 

“Kyungsoo sit here!”

 

Luhan motioned for a place next to him on the sofa and Kyungsoo gladly took it. Everyone started rummaging thru the bags.

 

“Not that one.”

 

Everyone was startled when they heard Jongin deny Yifan the chocolate ice cream but Yifan took another pick without a fight. Jongin took the ice cream and put it in front of Kyungsoo.

 

“It’s yours.”

 

This surprised Kyungsoo. It even crossed his mind that there must be something wrong with the ice cream but he was there when they picked the snacks. Kyungsoo wouldn’t complain he loved chocolate ice cream it was his favourite. He gave a small smile to Jongin. Everyone ate happily. Kyungsoo even wondered how no one seem to noticed the way Yifan cleaned the cookie crumbs out of Tao’s mouth.

 

Later on another friend join them, Yixing was in a private school but came to hang out whenever he could. While Sehun, Yixing and Yifan had a go at the basketball hoop, Kyungsoo worked on his assignments. Luhan also did his own work. Jongin plopped down next to Kyungsoo and opened his own notebooks. He did his own work, only asking Kyungsoo a few questions. Overall Kyungsoo spent a nice afternoon. It was nearly 9 at night when they left the warehouse. Jongin made Kyungsoo carry his bag again, but Kyungsoo wasn’t sure how to make his way back without Jongin so he complied.

 

“Buy me some food, ramyun sounds nice.”

 

Wow, now bullying became extortion. Jongin didn’t even wait for Kyungsoo’s answer and went into a small ramyun shop. They ate practically in silent and Kyungsoo ended up paying.

 

Once out of the place Jongin took his bag.

 

“I’ll text you later. Answer me.”

 

Jongin left. Luckily he knew his way now.

 

 

Kyungsoo took a hot bath and was so tired that he decided to go straight to bed. His mobile buzzed.

 

My Boyfriend <3: Did you get home safely?

Kyungsoo: Yes.

 

My Boyfriend <3: Ok, see you tomorrow.

My Boyfriend <3: Sleep well.

 

Kyungsoo felt so confused at times like these.