Chapter 6

Chasing Pavements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Straight from Japan, as soon as the plane landed I made my way to the hospital. Tiffany called me saying Jenna’s condition is critical. Jenna’s been in the hospital for about a week now. The moment the cab dropped me off, I ran to the receptionist.

“Jenna Jung” I said catching up my breath.

“Hi Sir, may I know how are you related to the patient?” The nurse asked as she typed Jenna’s name searching for her records.

“I’m the father of the child”

“You must be, Donghae Lee. May I have your ID sir please” The name of the father in Jenna’s record is Donghae’s.

“I am Taecyeon Ok. The biological father of the patient!” I reiterated to the nurse. I slammed my palms infront of her desk. “Now, I don’t have time to these useless pep talks.  Tell me where in this ing hospital my daughter is!”

“I’m sorry but we need to protect the privacy of the patient…” The nurse stuttered. I was so frustrated that I kicked the trash can by the wall, creating a loud bang in the area.

“Taec!” Tiffany shouted as I gazed her and Nichkhun coming towards me.

“Where is Jenna?” I asked them.

“Here, follow me” Tiffany said. I left the nurse a burning gaze while Nichkhun apologized for me.

“What exactly happened?” I ask to the couple as we head to the elevator.

“Nick and I were about to go to lunch when a crying Jessica called me asking for help. Jenna’s kind of in a bad condition and she needs you… let’s just ask the doctor to explain” Tiffany said.

“Bro, bottom line is Jessica and Jenna needs you” Nichkhun said cutting Tiffany off.

“This is all making me nervous” I hissed holding the handle of the door. Tiffany gave me a faint smile and a nod while Nichkhun placed his hand on my shoulder.

 

 

I slowly opened the door. I saw my 5 year old kid lying on the bed. Will all those tubes connected into her body. A worried Jessica is on the bedside holding her hand, Donghae’s arm was hanging over Jessica’s shoulder, comforting her. Right now, I did not care on the jealousy of the sight of them and the anger I felt when I found out that Donghae is the registered father of Jenna.

“Mr. Ok” The doctor said, making Jessica and Donghae turn to our direction.

I entered the room slowly, taking my steps towards the bed. They greeted me but I ignored them I went to the opposite side of the bed. Beside Dr. Han.

“Mr. Taecyeon, what are you doing here?”

“Hi Dr. Han, the kid is my child. What’s going on here?”

“You’re just in time; I was just about to tell the parents on the real condition of the patient.” Everybody’s attention was solely focused to Dr Han. “After all series of tests, it was discovered that the patient is suffering from Aplastic Anaemia. It’s a rare disorder in which the bone marrow fails to make enough blood cells…” Dr. Han paused for a while.

“How did she acquired such disease?” I asked.

“Well Aplastic Anaemia, can be acquired during the patient’s lifetime but Jenna’s still young. So the only thing I can conclude is that she inherited the condition from her parents.” I can hear Jessica’s sobs. I can see hear staring at me through my peripheral vision.

“As far as I know Mr. Taecyeon no one in your family has blood or bone marrow issues” Dr. Han said.

“She must have gotten it from me…” Jessica whispered.

I let out a sigh. “Dr. Han the mother has anaemia, meaning Jenna’s condition worsen leading to this?” Dr. Han nodded. “What can we do?”

“We need to have her undergo some radiation therapy and other treatments in order to prevent the child to develop Leukemia.”

“Radiation therapy? Dr. Han she’s so young can her body handle those types of treatment?” I asked.

“We really do not have a choice her Taecyeon. It’s the only thing we can do right now.”

“What’s the percentage of those treatments in curing my daughter?”

“50-50, Mr Ok. Worst come to worst, we would need a bone marrow transplant… Mr. Ok to tell you the truth this hospital can’t accommodate the needs of the patient anymore. I would suggest you to transfer to our main hospital.”

“We can hardly even pay the bills in this hospital. How the heck are we going to pay our bills there?!” Donghae raised his voice.

“Please, money is not an issue here.” I glared at him. “Dr. Han can I talk to you, in private please.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Dr. Han granted my request to talk to him in private. My dad has been supporting this hospital that’s why Dr. Han knew me. I needed some more answers that are why I decided to talk to him.

“Mr. Taecyeon…”

“Doc, just Taecyeon will do.”

“Doc, what’s it in for us?” I asked Dr. Han was about to answer but was cut off with the sound of the opening door.

“Hi Jessica” Dr. Han said as I turned to the door to see her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter