Chapter 4

Chasing Pavements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2015

“Congratuations!!!” My friends shouted as they entered my office.

“I’m so proud of you son” My Dad said as he tapped my back.

Today they declared, that I, Ok Taecyeon, is the entrepreneur of the year. My Mom, Dad, Rain, Tae Hee and their son Johnny are here and my ever loyal friends, Tiffany, Yuri, Nichkhun, Wooyoung and Chansung are here too. Ever since I was able to finish my graduate school, I have entirely dedicated my time and effort into building my career, basically fulfilling my Dad’s dream for me.

“What are we waiting for? This calls for a celebration” Dad announced while my friends cheered in excitement.

They were all so happy for me but I still feel empty. Dad invited everyone he could for my celebration. From his investors, business partners and business rivals. My Dad was giving me praise every now and then. Would talk about my achievements at such young age and how much I have grown and become a mature adult.

Everybody was having fun except me. I feel lost. I don’t feel good about all of these achievements. Deep inside me I still feel the fang of pain and guilt about her, about my family. Ever since she left, 7 years ago I never heard anything from her. I don’t even know if she is still here in Korea or worst if she’s even alive.

“Hey! Don’t be such a party pooper!” Tiffany teased.

I gave her a faint smile and just nodded.

“Aren’t you happy about all of this Taec? Finally your hard works are paying off”

“Yeah”

“Taec is this still about Jess?”

“What can I do Tiffany, I can’t get her out of my mind. I just want to know if she’s okay or what.”

“Here…” Tiffany said as she handed a card to me. It’s Jessica’s business card. “I’m sorry, I hid that from you. I was able to meet her a few months ago. She seems great and okay. Now that you’re stable and good I think this is the perfect time that you get to meet each other and fix the rough patch between you”

“Thank you so much!” I said hugging Tiffany.

“Now please, I want my old best friend back. Taec, please be more happy”

For a moment I starred at her card. She was not able to fulfill her dream and become a doctor. Instead, her card says that she’s now an interior designer.

I was too afraid to call her, not knowing what will happen. She might just drop the call if ever she finds out that it’s me.

 

Hi Jessica, this is Ok Taecyeon. Do you still remember me? Sorry if I got your number from Tiffany. I really just want to check on you and see how you’re doing. Will you be able to meet me? I’ll wait for your reply.

                -Taecyeon

 

To be honest, it took me 3 hours to construct that 44 word text messages. I really didn’t know what to say to her. I was anxious waiting for her reply, if she would even reply. I could fully understand if she won’t reply to me.

I took my shower, preparing to go to bed. I checked my phone as I normally do and when I saw Jessica’s name in my inbox my heart skipped a beat. I was quite hesitant to open it not knowing what it contains. Will it be a text turning down my invitation. I let out a deep sigh before I opened her messaged.

Hi Taec, it’s been a long time isn’t it? I’ll be glad to see you again. Will you be able to meet us tomorrow at 3?

                -Jessica

 

“Yes!!!” I can not believe she’s giving me a chance to see her again. Of course excited as I was I immediately answered.

                Yes, ofco

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter