Truth

Falling In Love With CEO Eric Mun

‘I’m sorry…’

A middle-aged man shook his head in sympathy at the two gentlemen who had worried looks on their face. When he announced the devastating news, the shorter guy broke down on the ground and started wailing while the other guy staggered as he touched the wall for support. They cannot believe that the time came sooner than they expected and they just couldn’t accept it. The older brother gently pulled his brother for an embrace and a louder wail was heard throughout the floor. People who were around felt pity at the two brothers who just lost their beloved mother due to incurable disease. It took them an hour as they took all the courage and strength to go inside to see the dead body for them to say their final goodbye. The two guys didn’t exchange any words as what they were feeling were channelling to each other and it was mutual. With a pair of shaking hands, the shorter guy took out his phone to text someone, inside his mind, the receiver was all he needed now other than his devastating brother.

*Come to the hospital now… I’m begging you, hyung*

A minute later, he received a reply but he didn’t bothered to check it as he knew that the other person got his text. After sending their farewell, they sat at the bench outside the corridor. Their mind was blank and was hoping that they would wake up in the horrid nightmare but too much for their dismay, it was a reality that they now had to face. 30 minutes later, they heard running footsteps and a calling name.

‘Andy-ah…’

Seeing that his older brother looked up, he too did the same and instantly hugged the newly arrived guy when he recognised him.

‘I’m sorry…’ he muttered calmly but the tone in his voice knew he was trying to stay strong for the two brothers especially the younger one. He gently rubbed the crying guy’s back to sooth him but no success was achieved. He knew about the news as he bumped into the doctor who was Mrs Lee’s doctor and he told him everything.

(An hour later)

‘Hyung, let’s go back now… This place is not good for you both right now’ the guy said and seeing the older guy nodded, he stood up and held the younger brother’s hand as comfort.

‘Thanks for coming, Junjin’ he finally spoke.

‘It’s nothing, hyung, I’m going to be here for you and Andy’ he squeezed Andy’s hand tighter.

‘Hmm’

(At the funeral)

Since Eric and Andy weren’t in the right mind, Junjin handled the funeral arrangement with Eric’s approval. As the funeral was going on, Junjin saw someone who was calling for Eric’s name and it turned out to be Hyesung, he figured that Eric who called him about Mrs Lee’s passing. Eric left separately from Junjin, Andy and Hyesung after the funeral and Hyesung had told Junjin to keep an eye on Eric which Junjin nodded his head as agreement. Junjin and Andy met Eric back at the house and saw Eric who was carrying a luggage.

‘Where are you going, hyung?’ Junjin asked.

‘Jeju. I need a new place to think. This house…’ Eric muttered and then sighed. He looked at his brother as he walked towards him. He gently wiped the tears on Andy’s face and smile apologetically.

*Hyung is going to Jeju for a few days and hyung is really sorry for not being able to be with you, Andy-ah. But hyung promise hyung will return. In the meantime, Junjin would be with you*

Andy smiled weakly at him and nodded his head, *It’s okay, hyung. I understand. I… I love you, hyung* he said and hugged the older guy tightly as possible.

After Eric left, Junjin then made a cup of tea for Andy in hoping to calm him down. It was too sudden for all of them especially the two brothers.

*Andy, I’m going to move in with you* Junjin said after Andy sipped his tea.

Instead of being surprised, Andy leaned in for a hug before he replied, *Thank you, hyung*

The first few days was hard for Andy as he kept having nightmares and to make it go away, he slept with Junjin and thankfully, he could sleep better. Another problem was Andy didn’t have any appetite to eat that Junjin had to force him to eat something and to the extent that he learnt how to cook Andy’s dishes. He also told Hyesung about Eric’s whereabouts when he met him and he knew that Hyesung was the only person who could help Eric in the current situation.

A few days had passed and everything was calmer. Andy started going to college again and Eric came back with much lighter heart, maybe thanks to Hyesung. But nevertheless, Junjin had make a clear point that he won’t move out until he was sure everything was okay, Andy was happy about it and Eric just nodded his head as an approval. But suddenly Eric had to leave the house again when he received a call from a person that he didn’t want to meet ever even when afterlife.

It had been a week since Eric last went to office and Hyesung was probably sure that he didn’t go to Jeju again as they went back to Seoul together and the older guy said he now wanted to be by Andy’s side since he left him alone during the critical time. But now that he was nowhere to be found, Hyesung started to feel agigated and anxious and he was dying to know where Eric went. He didn’t dare to text or call the guy because… He didn’t know. He just didn’t have the courage to do so. Even when he wanted to ask Junjin, the said guy also was nowhere to be found because of the schedule’s differences. Finally, he saw the top model and instantly kidnapped him.

‘Woah, what’s wrong hyung?’ Junjin exclaimed when he was dragged into a meeting room.

‘Do you know where Eric went?’

‘Why don’t you try calling him?’

Hyesung let Junjin go and looked at him with uneasiness, ‘Because I don’t have the courage to do so. Actually…’ he gulped and continued, ‘I went to his apartment but no one answered’

Then, he looked at Junjin with puppy eyes, ‘Junjin-ah, can’t you just tell me please..?’ he pleaded.

Junjin sighed and told him, ‘He is at his house’

‘I told you he wasn’t there!’ Hyesung supressed the urge to roll his eyes.

But Junjin rolled his eyes instead, ‘His father’s house, hyung!’

Hyesung blinked his eyes in confusion, ‘Why?’

‘I don’t know. It was so sudden. Eric hyung just left without explaining, he might told Andy everything because when I asked Andy, he just shrugged his shoulder casually’ Junjin explained.

‘Oh’ Hyesung nodded in understanding.

‘Hyung… Do you really want to see him?’ he asked seriously. Hyesung just nodded shyly.

‘Then, go to his house. I have the address, I’ll ask Andy about it’

Hyesung smiled widely and hugged Junjin tightly, ‘Thanks!’ he said and left the meeting room happily.

(At Mun’s Residency)

According to the information Hyesung received, no one is allowed to enter the compound except for family members and workers. Even the workers have their own ID card and no visiting is allowed. Thus, Hyesung had no choice as he decided on being an intruder which was going to be a big risk for him if he got caught. Slowly, he hid behind the bushes at the garden after he climbed onto the high wall behind the mansion. He cautiously avoided the CCTVs and went into the kitchen door. The maids shrieked in surprised and Hyesung instantly shut their mouth while waving a knife that he grabbed on the table while whispering, ‘I mean no harm so please don’t scream. I just want to see Eric’

The maids nodded nervously and forced them to show him Eric’s room before he gave the knife back to them. After knocking the door, Hyesung went inside before anyone else saw him.

‘Hyesung, what are you doing here?’ Eric looked at him in surprised. He seriously didn’t expect to see the younger man in hell.

Hyesung was stunned when he saw the room, it was clearly empty! Except for a bed and closet and a large desk.

‘To see you, of course! Did you redo your room? It looks empty’ he commented at the plain interior design.

‘It has been like this for nearly 20 years’ he said casually and closed the book that he was reading.

‘Then, why are you here?’ Hyesung asked. He knew that Eric had a bad relationship with his family but he didn’t dare to ask why because the CEO never talked about it.

‘I had a job to do’

‘When are you coming back?’ Hyesung asked.

‘Why did you want to know?’ Eric asked back.

Hyesung kept quiet before saying softly, ‘Because I was worried but I didn’t want to call you’

Eric smiled faintly and walked towards him after he grabbed his luggage, ‘I’m glad that you came to pick me up’ he joked.

‘Can you leave now?’ he smiled.

Eric nodded his head, ‘Of course, I’m not going to stay here for another second’ he said coldly. Hyesung just nodded his head and when Eric stepped outside the door, Hyesung felt a different aura from Eric. Cold and emotionless. Every butlers and maids who saw Eric quickly kept their distance from him and it made Hyesung more confused than before. Why would they be like that if Eric rarely went back to the house..? Hyesung didn’t notice a big painting at the main hall when he walked down the stairs, maybe because he was in hurry just now. It was a painting of a man and a beautiful woman and a handsome boy.

‘You really look exactly like your brother’ Hyesung exclaimed in awed.

Eric halted his steps briefly to take a look at the painting before scoffing, ‘We are related by blood after all’

When they were about to exit the main door, they heard a shout.

‘What is that bastard doing in this house?!’

When they turned around, they saw a furious old man with his arms crossed looking straight at them more specifically at Eric.

‘Says someone who told the bastard to come’ Eric replied sarcastically.

‘I don’t need a filthy human being in the house. GET OUT NOW!’

Eric clenched his fists tightly and it didn’t go unnoticed by Hyesung and when the old man saw Hyesung, he was more furious.

‘WHO TOLD YOU TO BRING A VISITOR?! HOW FCKING STUPID ARE YOU TO NOT UNDERSTAND THE RULE OF THIS HOUSE?!’ he yelled again and Hyesung noticed how the workers were scared by him.

‘Excuse me, sir, but your worker let me in’ Hyesung lied.

‘SILENCE! I’M NOT TALKING TO YOU! YOU AND THAT FILTHY CHILD!’ he waved his hands angrily. Hyesung’s eyes widen and looked at Eric in confusion. Eric on the other hand just grabbed Hyesung’s hands and got out from there.

‘Meet me at my apartment’ Eric said before leaving to his own car. Hyesung just nodded absentmindedly before going to his own. He had been thinking about Eric’s dad’s words over and over again.

(Eric’s apartment)

‘Come in’ Eric gestured Hyesung to come inside when he rang the bell.

When everything is settled down, Eric spoke and finally dropped the bomb about his family’s deepest darkest secret.

‘The boy in the painting is my father’

Hyesung chocked on his tea that Eric prepared and tried to digest the new information he got.

‘W-What?’

‘I’m a child of an uous relationship, Hyesung. My mum died while giving birth but I don’t think it was because of natural causes. My dad, or brother if you want to call it, committed suicide because he was so devastated by her death’ he explained calmly as he was ready to tell Hyesung about his personal life.

‘H-How did your dad, I mean, the person inside that house knew?’

‘When he read my dad’s suicide note where he explained everything. He knew that my mum cheated on him when she got pregnant but he didn’t expect it to be his own son. Pretty ed up huh’ Eric scoffed and continued, ‘I always wonder why everyone kept a distance from me since I was a baby and the only person who was willing to take care of me was the same person who recently died. I also found out about the truth when I started elementary school because I demanded an explanation about why people hated me for no apparent reason from that old man, so he told me everything. Now, I understood why and I don’t blame them because what they said was true. I am filthy and I don’t deserve to live’

Hyesung shook his head and sat closer to Eric, ‘Yah, what are you talking about?! You were never at fault. Your parents were to blame, not you!’ he spoke him for Eric.

Eric just kept quiet without saying a word, ‘You have more precious people to care about. And that is Andy, Junjin and me!’ Hyesung continued.

Eric looked at Hyesung and said, ‘You..?’

Hyesung blushed when he realised he said about himself, ‘N-Nothing’ he shook his head shyly.

‘Did I hear you saying about me caring about a precious guy like you?’ Eric asked again.

‘You heard wrongly’ he said instantly.

‘I think I heard quite well’ Eric was starting to enjoy the tease.

‘You’re wrong!’ Hyesung protested as he stood up from the sofa.

‘I’m going to go now and I expect to see you at the office on Monday’ Hyesung demanded and quickly left the apartment. For the first time since Mrs Lee’s passing, Eric laughed at Hyesung’s adorableness.

(Emerald Organisation’s Building)

Hyesung had been thinking for a couple of weeks about the whole mission and with a final decision, he would take the risk and went against his grandfather. In other words, he would go against the whole organisation and that meant war. When he was about to meet the CEO, he was called by Dongwan.

‘Hyesung, meet us at grandpa’s office’ Dongwan said and left to go to the said place.

Hyesung blinked his eyes in confusion. Who wanted to see him? And who was we? Shrugging his shoulder with a fast beating heart, he made his way there.

Knock… Knock… Knock…

‘Come in’

Hyesung slowly peeked inside and saw his grandfather, Dongwan and Minwoo and instantly he knew what the topic they wanted to discuss about.

‘Have a seat, Hyesung’ the old man gestured and when he sat down, all three of others sat across him and it made him feel more puzzled.

‘What is it that you want to talk about?’ he started asking.

‘How is your mission coming along?’ the CEO sighed.

Hyesung clenched his fist to prepare himself and said with a firm tone, ‘I’m declaring that I’m going to aboard my mission. I can’t find anything that could relate him to the proofs that you guys gave and therefore, I’m saying that he is innocent. It is known to all of us that we don’t kill innocent people as the structure of organisation was changed by my father and everyone agreed to it including the three people that were sitting opposite me’ he said in professionalism.

‘Is that your final verdict?’ Dongwan asked.

He nodded his head and continued, ‘Yes and I would not change my decision’

‘Is it because you’ve becoming attached to the target and the people around him?’ Minwoo suddenly asked.

He gave a cold stare at his best friend. He knew what the three were trying to do and there was no way in hell that he was going to tell them everything.

‘You have no rights to know about my personal life as we are talking about work right now’ he said seriously.

‘Then, pretend that we’re not talking about work. We’re talking like a family right now’ Dongwan defended Minwoo.

‘Why would you want to know?’ Hyesung frowned.

‘Hyesung, answer the question’ his grandfather spoke with a stern tone.

Hyesung stood up and was ready to fight, ‘No! My personal feelings towards the target has nothing to do with you guys. And if you are planning to resume the mission, I also hereby declaring war. With you. And with the organisation’ he hissed angrily.

Sensing Hyesung’s anger, they quickly calmed him down.

‘Hyesung, please sit down first. We have something to tell you’ Minwoo said softly.

Hyesung eyed him suspiciously before sitting back on the sofa.

‘What is it?’ he raised his eyebrows.

His grandfather, Minwoo and Dongwan looked at each other before apologising deeply to Hyesung.

‘We’re sorry!’

Hyesung blinked his eyes in confusion and asked, ‘What are you talking about?’ he said in a softer tone.

‘Everything is a lie…’ Minwoo muttered softly because of guiltiness.

‘Eric was never the target. We’re sorry’ Dongwan apologised.

It took minutes for Hyesung to really digest the words and when he finally understood, he threw a small knife that he always carried under his pants in between Minwoo and Dongwan. The couple gulped as the sudden action, if they moved a little, their handsome looks would be ruin.

‘I cannot believe you guys! How can you put an innocent person as a dummy?! What if I really killed him when he was at Jeju?!’ Hyesung yelled angrily at them. He cannot believe that the people he trusted just betrayed him.

‘No, listen first Hyesung…’ his grandfather spoke.

Hyesung stared coldly at him before saying, ‘You don’t deserve to be heard! I’m going!’ and with that he walked towards the door but Minwoo grabbed his wrist faster.

‘Let go before I kill you’ Hyesung hissed.

‘No, listen to your grandfather first. He had a good reason for it’ Minwoo said seriously.

Hyesung took a deep breath and continued, ‘I’ll give you guys 5 minutes. If it’s bull, I’m out’ he then sat back on the sofa.

‘The man who forced us to kill Eric Mun is an influential politician, only people inside the political world know how corrupted he is. We don’t know how he got into our system, but he managed to take some of our valuable assets to threaten us’ Grandpa Shin explained calmly.

Hyesung frowned at the news, ‘What assets?’

‘Some of our Mission O’ Dongwan joined in the conversation. Mission O is the toughest and confidential missions that you could ever get and it involved dangerous, influential people.

‘Either way, I’m not going to kill him nor will you guys’ Hyesung said firmly.

‘We’re not going to…’ Grandpa Shin smiled fondly at his grandson. He knew the fact that Hyesung had already fallen in love with Eric.

‘Meaning?’

‘I have managed to get those files back and he won’t get to touch it ever again’ Minwoo grinned proudly.

Hyesung let out a sigh, ‘Thank God…’

‘So, what are you going to do now? You can’t work there forever’ Dongwan remarked and another sigh came from Hyesung.

‘That’s going to be another problem…’ he commented and stood up from the sofa to make his leave.

‘But either way, I’m going to work there for a few weeks to think about what I should do next’

‘You haven’t answered our question’ Minwoo suddenly said.

‘What question?’

‘Do you like Eric or not…’

Hyesung thought about it and shrugged his shoulder, ‘For me to know, for you to guess’ he said sincerely before leaving. Then he halted his steps and looked at the three of them seriously, ‘And don’t think that I forgive you guys just yet’

They sighed heavily after he left, ‘I expected worse’ Grandpa Shin commented.

‘Me too’ both Minwoo and Dongwan nodded in agreement.