007.

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Hanbin 
One week later...

"Jihye! Jihyeeeeeee!"

I've been knocking on this girl's door for like five minutes now. It's seven in the morning and I'm already bothering our neighbours because she won't answer the door. She better not still be sleeping. Sajangnim told us yesterday we have a photo shoot this morning. Also, I'd really appreciate it if she were actually awake to open the ing door because people of our apartment complex are passing by and giving me strange looks. Don't mind me folks just trying to wake up someone.

Apparently IKON was all over the Internet for all sorts of rumours related to Jihye. Because of that, YG has their hands tied and had to introduce IKON's newest member and debut date just to clear up all the rumours. There's at least one good thing that came out of this whole Jihye situation. A ing debut in less than a month. Can I get a ' yeah'?

I go back to knocking on Jihye's door. We are without a doubt running late. The photos we'll be taking in this photo shoot are for our debut goddamnit. The others were already getting ready but seven guys and one bathroom isn't the best for efficiency.

"Jihye open up! Seriously. Choi Jihye!"

My arm is going to fall off soon from knocking so long on her door. And I just learnt the dwarf’s full name last week. You get shocked to see an official statement from your company online with zero heads up. So her full name just stuck.

“You fought with your girlfriend again?”

Great. There’s our neighbour Mrs. Jung an old lady in her late sixties. She saw me and Jihye once coming home from practice a little later after the other guys just because Sajangnim had to talk to us that day about us having to work hard for our debut album. And so from then on, Mrs. Jung just assumed we were dating and were coming from a late night date. I'm still perfectly sane and I want nothing to do with the shorty in the whole romantic scene. Over my dead body. I have standards you know. It's just that Mrs. Jung has a poor memory and won't listen when I tell her that she's mistaken with her thoughts of me and Jihye. I always try to correct her even though.

“No, actually she’s not my-

Like now, I tried to deny our ‘relationship’ again. However, guess who rudely interrupts me by opening their door? It’s Jihye, in all her ugliness. Messy hair in what probably used to be a bun, baggy wrinkled sweater and very baggy basketball shorts. She was a mess basically. Given that we all came home at three in the morning from dance practice, she’s probably still drained.

“You young ones make up now. Have a good day loves”

Mrs. Jung gives us a knowing smile and a wave before leaving for work. Jihye, still half asleep, waves back while rubbing her eyes. I was going correct Mrs. Jung again but she already left. Also, she wouldn’t remember me doing that anyway so I didn’t bother shouting. I just stopped Jihye from waving when the older lady was finally out of sight. She looked ridiculous doing that.

“Why aren't you dressed yet? Do you even know what time it is?"

Jihye barely had her eyes open and she was patting my cheek. I know she's just trying to get me to shut up base on how loud she yawned. Normally she'd come up with some sort of insult to anything I say to her in a matter of seconds. The fact that she can't even do that proves how much of a wreck she is right now.

"Ah, there's the princess. Rise and shine little royal pain in the "

 

It's Kimbap all dressed leaning against our doorframe ready to ruin Jihye's morning. Our dorm doors are directly facing each other so it became Kimbap's thing to just open the door and bother the girl every day.

 

And Jihye's response today was to just glare at him before stepping back inside her apartment and slamming her door.

 

Wait no- She can't do that now. She can't do her 'I'm-too-upset-with-Bobby-so-give-me-an-eternity-to-cool-down' thing right now. We're running late!

 

"What the hell man! I took forever to get her out"

 

Seriously. I feel like my right arm is more lean than the left one from all the knocking I had to do.

 

But Kimbap just lifts his hand up, silently telling me to stop talking because today is national sign language shut up Hanbin day apparently. He leans over Jihye's door and lets out an exaggerated groan of pain.

 

"My shoulders are so sore and I'm starving. Poor me can't cook with stiff shoulders"

 

Kimbap lets out a series of groans and I just judge him hard. What the heck does he think he's doing? Jihye is probably going to lock herself in for the rest of her life and file a restraining order against him.

 

"They even say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But I guess I can't have that since my shoulders are–

 

Jihye abruptly opens her door, looking ten times better than she did when she opened it for me by the way --just by fixing her hair a little. She shoves Bobby to the side, heading straight to our dorm. She mutters something having to cook and cursing Bobby to hell on the way there. He's just giving her a smug look.

 

What kind of sorcery is this? Kimbap had been using his stiff shoulders as excuse to get Jihye to do anything for him for the past three days now. And surprisingly, she's very obedient the moment he brings up his stupid shoulders.

 

–Hold on a ing second did she just agree to cook Kimbap breakfast? We've got absolutely no time for that. What does anyone not understand about us being late for a photo shoot?!

 

Most importantly, the little shorty just walked into our dungeon of a dorm with the possibility of anyone to be walking around cladly dressed

". . . Choi Jihye get back here! We're already running late!"

 

You best believe I ran back to retrieve the small creature blindly walking inside our dorm. I just hope she's still in her sleepy state. Because I do not want to be held responsible for whatever she sees in there. Kim Jiwon and his effective ways.

 

"Let her be. I'm actually hungry. And our schedule's at ten"

 

Kimbap called after me from the lobby. But I shrug him off. 7AM, 10AM. It's all the same when it comes to schedules. They're just numbers you know. Everyone is missing the point of this schedule. It's for our damn debut. Am I really the only one that cares?

 


— — — — — — — — — —

 

 

 

The car ride... Where do I even begin with this horror? Eight members along with one manager riding in one car, this vehicle sure is cramped.

 

The three youngest of the group, known as Junhoe, Jihye and Chanwoo, sat at the back of the van in the row of seats behind the driver and were being loud as hell. They were very excited about getting their pictures taken and the breakfast Jihye cooked (for everyone in IKON instead of just for Kimbap) gave them a huge energy boost.

 

The three were talking to one of the cameras the company had installed inside the car, laughing at the littlest things. The older ones: Jinhwan, Donghyuk, Yunhyeong and Bobby, sat at the very back of the van. They were the first ones to get in the van and just decided to take the back to get some more rest.

 

 

I called shot gun because I refuse to be cramped with them and I wasn’t in the mood to pretend to be peppy in front of a camera right now. YG was still making us film ourselves but now for the sake of our new YouTube channel.

I was in a good mood this morning. But I did have to chase Jihye out of her apartment then out of ours before she sees something she’ll regret seeing. BUT then Bobby boy just uses the magic word: Shoulders. Curse that word and Kimbap’s control over it. What the heck is the deal with it anyways? The moment that word leaves his lips, Jihye waltz back in our dorm to cook and that's I somehow ended up playing as babysitter slash protective wall against shirtless men.


So instead of coming early on set, we’re scarcely on time. That was at least what our manager told us. However, even with him I have trust issues.

“Which is a better pairing? Baby cakes with me or with Chanwoo-yah?”

Junhoe asks suddenly. He and the other two mentioned were now looking through fan comments online. At times like this, I wished we were never given access to the internet or at least a phone.

When all the rumours were cleared, people have been making more of these ‘pairings’ in IKON (which were not all necessarily hetero pairings--) and the mass’ favourites are Jihye with either Chanwoo and Junhoe. Heck sometimes people enjoy them as a three-way couple.

First, it was disturbing. Second, these dimwits enjoy teasing fans. It’s what they live for now.

“Soulmate and Chanwoo is the best together!”

Jihye’s nickname for Junhoe was now an official thing between them two and the fans. I swear they become increasing more annoying as our view count rising. They were bringing in good publicity but they just- I basically can’t stand them together in front of a camera. Once a filming device is involved, they get mushy-mushy. From there you can't stop them. 

It was mainly the released of their cover of 2ne1's 'It hurts' that cause the whole Junhoe-Jihye couple thing. You could say it was partially my fault for putting them together in the first place. It's one of the many regrets I have in life.

"Alright you guys we're here. Now don't be nervous and do well. Someone help guide Jihye along the way too"

Our manager finally speaks after parking the van in front the studio. Thank goodness the ride is finally over. We were just about to hit the of absolute cringe worthy Junhoe and Jihye interaction. So ing glad we didn't. 


— — — — — — — — — —
 

3RD Point of View 
The staff don't even try to hide their favouritism. In the studio, you'd be able to tell the stylists' favourite in IKON. You would just have to look at how they pick out their idols clothes and how they did they make up. 

Today, they were flaunting over Jihye since it was their first time meeting the girl. There was two cordi noona were put in charge of Jihye. And boy, they when ballistic. They had the liberty to do whatever they wanted with her and dress her in all the pretty clothes they were itching to dress the boys of IKON in. If you can't tell, the stylists have been deprived. Today was the day they can pull out all of the skirts, crop tops and bandos they've so badly wanted to make someone wear. 

"Wow, you look disgustingly girlier than ever."

Jihye glares at Bobby from the mirror as she still sits on the makeup chair. 

"And you look like you're going to star in a o"

She responds back, pretty satisfied with the look of annoyance the boy displayed. This was the first time Jihye is wearing make up around them and this is the first time Bobby is bearing more skin than Hanbin would ever allow.

Despite rocking the street wear look, they still manage to insult each other.

"Kimbap give her a break."

Hanbin is behind both of them, hands resting on the makeup chair. The boy had cornrows on his head and it took everything in Jihye's willpower not to make fun of Hanbin knowing that he isn't someone to be reckoned with. Besides he was siding with her. 

Hanbin takes a good looked at Jihye. They had dyed her hair a darker shade of brown, dressed her in a black mesh panel shirt with red

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter