Eater Of Days

The Carnival of Monsters

Helping Eunhyuk stand up, Donghae wrapped one of his arms around his shoulder to help support him as they began moving again. As they came to a fork in the path, Eunhyuk saw how much Donghae was struggling to help him and tried to pull away “You should just go, get yourself out of here.”

Refusing to let go, Donghae pulled him back and continued walking “Don’t be ridiculous Hyuk, I’m not leaving you here.” Walking towards a surprisingly new looking tent compared to the dull grey ones they’d seen so far, the sign outside had completely faded back to white.

“Hae I don’t think we should go in there.” Eunhyuk shuddered. Sensing the same bad vibe Donghae sighed “I agree, nothing good’s happened in any of the others but we can’t get out of here without passing through it.” Beginning to feel dizzy again Eunhyuk grabbed at Donghae’s shirt with his free hand while his knees began to wobble.

Immediately sitting him down on the ground, Donghae racked his brain for something else he could do. Not wanting to worry Donghae any more than he had Eunhyuk smiled “What’s that look for? I’m fine, I just need a few minutes. You go on ahead, I’ll catch up.” Looking like he wanted to smack him Donghae tried as much as he could to keep a calm relaxed tone “You can’t walk on that leg yourself Hyukjae, I’m not leaving you no matter how many times you say it.”

Feeling like he was going to faint, Eunhyuk could only watch as his hands grabbed Donghae’s t-shirt and pulled him in close as his vision fell dark. Opening his eyes he saw a startled and confused Donghae staring back at him “Ugh… what happened?” as Donghae’s look remained the same, a slight shake of his head made Eunhyuk remember what he’d done “Oh my god Donghae I’m sorry! I didn’t… I wasn’t trying to…”

Feeling dizzy again Eunhyuk stopped trying to explain trying not to collapse again which gave Donghae a chance to speak “You don’t have to apologise Hyuk, I know you weren’t trying to kiss me…”

“Why do you look disappointed?” Eunhyuk asked as his vision refocused. Realising the misunderstanding, Donghae mumbled “I didn’t know what to do, I couldn’t help you when you…” chuckling as he pulled his leg into view Eunhyuk interrupted “I think your ruined shirt is proof you did help me, and not punching me after… that, helped too.”

“I wouldn’t have punched you, I’d have called it even and forgotten that either happened.” Donghae sighed fixing the shirt on Eunhyuk’s leg. Attempting to stand up again, a sharp pain shot up his leg nearly bringing him to tears “You’re not fit to walk Hyuk, you need to rest.” Donghae insisted trying to support him so he didn’t hurt himself. Wishing he’d stood up with the weight on the other leg Eunhyuk tried not to sob “Thanks Hae, but I’m not keeping you here any longer than I have to. We should keep going.”

Nodding slightly, Donghae decided it was best not to argue with him as they headed towards the tent. Quietly entering the tent unsure of what to expect, neither expected to see what was inside. The tent was pitch black apart from one beam of moonlight streaming in through a hole in the top of the tent which fell on a stool with the most unsettling creature so far perched on it.

On the stool was a black jagged skeletal hunched over with pointed elbow on spikey knees cloaked in a black shadow. It didn’t even acknowledge they’re entrance as it continued with its task. As they began edging round the outside of the tent, both of them paled as the floating faces from earlier entered.

Not wanting to deal with a repeat of what happened in the car park the both froze hoping they wouldn’t notice them either. After a few minutes the child face crept into the tent and much as before it walked over and stood beside the plain looking face as if it was its parent. Once the faces had faded away, Eunhyuk couldn’t help feeling unsettled as the shadow turned and looked over its shoulder right at them.

Wishing he could run as the child face returned, neither could move as it floated towards them “You shouldn’t be here, it’s not safe for you here.” Both looking at Eunhyuk’s leg it was safe to say they weren’t arguing with it. A low rumble echoed through the tent as the shadow turned back to where it had originally been facing “He says he wants to help you, too many people have been lost here. Once you leave this tent you’ll be on your own, don’t waste the help you’ve been given.”

Watching as the shirt fell off his leg, Eunhyuk saw fresh blood start trickling down his jeans. As what felt like a hand grab at the wound, a yelp escaped as a searing pain began spreading up his leg. Pulling Eunhyuk closer to try and comfort him, Donghae’s jaw dropped when he saw what caused the pain “Oh my god, thank you!”

“Don’t thank us, just get out.” the face muttered before fading away. Tears now rolling down his cheeks Eunhyuk blubbed “T-thank you? Why thank you?” wiping the elders tears away Donghae smiled “Look at your leg.”

Staring in disbelief as through the tattered bloody fabric of his jeans was a clean unmarked calf, all he could manage in response was “Oh…” grabbing his shirt before taking Eunhyuk’s hand, Donghae quickly began heading out of the tent. Once they were sufficiently clear of the tent Donghae turned to face Eunhyuk slightly concerned “So… how are you feeling?”

“Still dizzy but the pain’s fading now.” Eunhyuk mumbled trying to mask a limp. Feeling rather guilty Donghae spotted a nearby bench and tried his best to smile “If you want we can wait until you feel better? We don’t want you fainting again.” Swiftly punching Donghae in the arm Eunhyuk pouted “I didn’t faint, I lost a lot of blood… which you seem to be carrying around with you, why?”

“Just in case, you never know we might need it.” Donghae sighed knowing the night was far from over.