Miss Fortune

The Carnival of Monsters

Once they were sure the girl had gone, Eunhyuk slowly let go of Donghae’s shoulders and headed towards the opening. Jumping as Donghae grabbed his hand, he was about to snatch it back but seeing the tears threatening to fall he put on a smile and whispered “Nothing bad is going to happen, I promise.”

Continuing to head towards where they thought the exit was, they both found themselves at the end of a row in front of a tent “Miss Fortune?” Donghae asked watching tattered charms almost disintegrate at the slightest breeze. Sharing a look that screamed neither wanted to enter, they were about to turn around when they found themselves tumbling into the tent.

“Well, it’s been a while since anyone’s made such a dramatic entrance but do take a seat.” A voice said hidden in the shadows. A yellow glow began to grow in the middle of the tent, and they leapt back as a face appeared over it. Seeing a woman who must have been in her late 50’s with a scarf tying back her messy black hair and bangles up to her elbows, they tried their best not to look horrified.

Leaning forward sending her earrings dancing across her shoulders, she snapped “I don’t bite, take a seat.” Immediately falling into the seats before her, they couldn’t help their growing concern. “Dare to know your fortune young one? Pass my palm with silver and learn your fate.” Fidgeting in his pocket for a moment, Donghae placed a 100 won coin in her open hand.

Flipping the coin before putting in into her top, she smiled rather sinisterly before gazing into the crystal ball “I see… a young man. You’re very close to him, closer than you ever expected to be…” falling quiet, her expression fell and her tone became flat “No… I see a shadow that will cause great harm, and I know what I’m telling you now will come too fast.”

Watching as Donghae began to freak out, Eunhyuk slammed his hand on the table and shouted “What the hell is wrong with you?! Why would you say that!?” giving Donghae a hug to stop him shaking, Eunhyuk glared at the woman as she faded back into the shadows “It’s not my fault if you don’t like what you hear. If you didn’t want to know you shouldn’t have asked.”

Falling to the ground as the table and the seats vanished, a stunned silence filled the air. Not wanting to stay, they both stood up to get out of there before she decided reappear. Walking back along to take the other fork through the tents Donghae broke the silence “Hyuk, you don’t think she was right do you?”

Sensing the genuine concern that Donghae was trying to hide, Eunhyuk tried to be as reassuring as he could “I promised you nothing bad was going to happen, and I intend to keep that promise. Nothing’s going to hurt you, not while I’m around.”