Scary Faces

The Carnival of Monsters

Pulling into the carpark in complete silence, neither had breathed a word since leaving the dorm. Wanting to say something but not knowing what, Donghae sank back in his chair awkwardly. As they looked out at the tents in-front of them, Donghae managed to whisper “Hyuk, are you sure we’re in the right place?”

Sharing a look that showed they were both unsure as it didn’t exactly look right, Eunhyuk gasped as Donghae sank his nails into his wrist “Ah! What the hell’s wrong with you?” raising his gaze, the look of fear in Donghae’s eye’s caused him to forget the blood now gathering on his wrist “Donghae…”

“There’s something out there.” Rolling his eyes, a very flat tone dominated the reply “Well of course there is Hae, it’s a carnival.” Digging his nails deeper into Eunhyuk’s wrist, he muttered “It’s not funny, there’s something wrong.”

Desperately trying to get his wrist back before any more blood was drawn, Eunhyuk was about to get out of the car when he saw it too. A face floating in the darkness, clearly not attached to a body yet not translucent like a projection the dark slits that should have been eyes cut right through them. As another joined it, this time painted with an almost tribal pattern the two seemed to converse as a third appeared. The new face was remarkably younger than the others sat about a foot lower and had a more animal based design painted on it.

It appeared they hadn’t noticed the two of them sitting in the car until a high pitched screech came from the youngest of the three faces as it faded away and four new ones appeared next to the two original and now very angry looking faces. Neither understanding what was happening but very much wanting it to stop, they sat frozen though desperately wanting to get away. As the faces suddenly rushed towards them with a hellish shriek, they both screamed as they turned to smoke upon hitting the windscreen.

“Hyuk, I want to leave…” Donghae whispered nearly in tears. Feeling much the same way, Eunhyuk very nearly drove away when he remembered “Today’s the last day the carnival is here, and they have gone.” Waiting to see his reaction, he honestly wasn’t expecting to see Donghae get out of the car…