Time had come...

First and Forever Love

“Why is it that you always treat me as if I am your girlfriend?” Han Tae-sun asked.

Kim Dong-Hyub had bought a wrist band for Han Tae-sun.  There was no special reason for the gift.  Kim Dong-Hyub had always liked Han Tae-sun’s hands and whenever he came across hand accessories, it would always make him think of Han Tae-sun’s hands.  Today, he had seen something he had liked and decided to simply buy it.  It was not very expensive.  But it would look great in Han Tae-sun’s wrist.

“Just say thank you, you idiot” Kim Dong-Hyub said.  “I don’t treat you like a girlfriend”

“You sent flowers and teddy bear for my birthday.  Do you remember sending flowers to apologize for the up?” Han Tae-sun reminded him.

“Do you really think I am flowers and teddy bear kind of a guy?” Han Tae-sun asked annoyingly.

“I see that teddy bear next to your bed” Kim Dong-Hyub gestured.

“I can’t punish the teddy bear for your sins” Han Tae-sun said.

“So, do you like it?  I thought it would look nice” Kim Dong-Hyub asked Han Tae-sun as Han Tae-sun was examining the band.

“There you go, treating me like a girl!”  Han Tae-sun said again.

“Hey, cut it out.  Don’t make a fuss about nothing.” Kim Dong-Hyub was beginning to get very annoyed.  “Wear that damn band and let me see how it looks”

Han Tae-sun humphed.  Wore the band.  It was a nice band.  It was just made up of beads.   But it looked good.  “There, happy?” Han Tae-sun asked.

“I have never seen anyone this ungrateful for a gift” Kim Dong-Hyub said.

“Whatever!” Han Tae-sun said.

He wore that band every day.  Kim Dong-Hyub noticed it.  How such silly things made him happy he had no idea.

……

Han Tae-sun randomly thought one day “What have I ever given to Kim Dong-Hyub?”

……

Kim Dong-Hyub’s dad called.  “We are transferring that apartment in your name”

Kim Dong-Hyub “What?  You don’t have to do that.  We both are saving to buy a bigger apartment”

Dad “It was always going to be yours.  You might as well get it now when you need it.  If you want, you can sell it to buy your bigger apartment”

Kim Dong-Hyub “I can’t do that Dad.  I will take care of it myself”

Dad “Don’t argue.”

…..

“Mom, tell dad not to transfer the apartment.  I don’t feel good about that”

Mom “It was always supposed to be a wedding gift honey”

Kim Dong-Hyub protested.  He knew his parents had money, and they did not need to support his older brother.  The only person left was Kim Dong-Hyub.  He probably would have inherited this anyway.  But, it still did not feel right. 

Kim Dong-Hyub “I am not getting married mom”

Mom “Now, you are never going to marry” She burst into tears.

Kim Dong-Hyub “Mom, stop it!” 

She continued to sniffle.  Kim Dong-Hyub sighed.  ‘Oh god!’

……

The apartment was transferred to Kim Dong-Hyub after a month.  Kim Dong-Hyub still felt very uncomfortable about it. 

Han Tae-sun was simply left speechless.  ‘Parents did this?’  It was like an alternate reality.  He knew Kim Dong-Hyub’s parents were rich.  But, give him an apartment?  Really?  He had to struggle to feed himself for many years.  ‘What kind of privileged life is this?’

……

Time passed.

…….

“How come you don’t wear accessories?” Han Tae-sun asked.

“What kind of a random conversation is this?” Kim Dong-Hyub said.

“Just curious” Han Tae-sun said.

“I am the manly man” Kim Dong-Hyub said. 

“Yah, wearing accessories does not make you less of a man” Han Tae-sun snapped.

“Are we actually having this conversation?” Kim Dong-Hyub asked raising his eyebrows unbelievingly. 

“Whatever” Han Tae-sun waved at him annoyingly.

…..

When they were cuddling one night, Han Tae-sun kept playing with Kim Dong-Hyub’s hands. 

“Why are you so interested in my hand today?” Kim Dong-Hyub asked.

Han Tae-sun “You seem to have a for mine.  I was just curious about yours”

“So, you like?  You know what these hands can do?” He started nibbling Han Tae-sun’s ears. 

“Don’t you feel tired?” Han Tae-sun asked. 

“Are we old couple now?” Kim Dong-Hyub continued his lips journey to Han Tae-sun’s adam’s apple. 

Han Tae-sun giggled.  “You are tickling me” 

“Did you just giggle?” Kim Dong-Hyub asked.  “Then you tell me not to treat you like a girl”

Han Tae-sun was comparing his hand to Kim Dong-Hyub’s hand.  Enjoying Kim Dong-Hyub’s attention at the same time. 

Kim Dong-Hyub “You know, I am a very virile man.  Why don’t you let that damn hand go and feel my virility?”

Han Tae-sun sighed.  Did what was asked of him.

Kim Dong-Hyub was definitely a virile man.

…..

Han Tae-sun was nervous today.  He was going to do something for the first time in his life.  They had been together for over 2 years now.  They felt strong.  He could not imagine a life without Kim Dong-Hyub. 

He called Kim Dong-Hyub.  “I was going to reach up around 6 today”

Kim Dong-Hyub “Okay”

Han Tae-sun “What time will you be free?”

Kim Dong-Hyub “I don’t know right now.  Why?”

Han Tae-sun “I thought we could have a nicer dinner today.  Use my cooking skills”

Kim Dong-Hyub snorted.  “You have cooking skills?”

Han Tae-sun was feeling nervous.  “Yah, answer the question.  What time are you going to be free?”  he snapped.

Kim Dong-Hyub “Why are you so irritated?”

Han Tae-sun controlled his breathing.  Sometimes their conversations just got on his nerves.  Today his nerves were already shot.  “Call me when you know what time”

Han Tae-sun disconnected the call.  Well, if it did not happen today, he will do it some other time.  They were not going anywhere.

Kim Dong-Hyub looked at the phone unbelievingly.  Han Tae-sun did the strangest things sometimes.  He shook his head.  ‘Why was Han Tae-sun sounding oversensitive today?  What’s with cooking dinner?’

Later, he called Han Tae-sun.  “Looks like 7.30 or so”

Han Tae-sun said.  “Okay”

…..

Han Tae-sun got slightly dressed up looking at himself in the mirror.  He had bought steaks.  He did not really have special cooking skills.  But he had lived alone for a very long time and he had to stay fit for his job.  He could not eat ramyon every day.  He did not have enough money to eat out all the time.  So, he had learnt some basic stuff. 

His diet had improved in the time he had known Kim Dong-Hyub.  His mom always sent food back with him whenever Kim Dong-Hyub visited.  Finishing that food was Han Tae-sun’s favorite thing.  After the first time they went together, Han Tae-sun tried joining him sometimes.  Han Tae-sun had complimented Kim Dong-Hyub’s mom on her food.  After that, Kim Dong-Hyub just carried more food.

“Yah, am I the delivery service?  You know how heavy this is?” One day Kim Dong-Hyub had complained. 

“Whatever” Han Tae-sun did his customary shrug.

So, today, he decided to grill steakes.  He did not have to keep them ready.  He could just do that once Kim Dong-Hyub was home.  They both liked it bloody anyway. 

Rest were just side dishes.  Mostly what Kim Dong-Hyub’s mom had sent.  Some vegetables he got today.  That was the best he could do.  He has also bought some sake. 

Han Tae-sun waited impatiently. 

Kim Dong-Hyub reached slightly early.  When he looked at Han Tae-sun, he said “Woah”.  “Are we going somewhere?”

“Why?” Han Tae-sun asked. 

“You look dressed up” Han Tae-sun felt a little embarrassed.  ‘Am I overdoing this?’

“I thought we could have one of those date nights at home” Han Tae-sun said.

“You?  Date night?”  Kim Dong-Hyub laughed as he removed his shoes, divesting himself of the bag and the jacket.  Han Tae-sun looked a little nervous.  ‘What was going on with him today?’  Kim Dong-Hyub wondered.

“Why at home?  We could go out if you like” Kim Dong-Hyub said again.

Han Tae-sun “We can never be ourselves when we go out.  It is a lot of effort to be friendly”

“Okay, let’s have a date night.  Is that sake?” 

Han Tae-sun “Yes”

Kim Dong-Hyub “We are going all out I see” he laughed.

Han Tae-sun “Why don’t you freshen up?  I will do the steaks”

Kim Dong-Hyub “Steaks?”

Han Tae-sun “Hey, don’t keep raising your eyebrows all the time.  Go freshen up”

Kim Dong-Hyub “Do you want me to look nice too?”

Han Tae-sun “It is a date night”

Kim Dong-Hyub “You are being really weird”

Then he saw Han Tae-sun was starting to get irritated. 

Kim Dong-Hyub “Okay, sorry.  I will freshen up”

…..

Han Tae-sun was in the kitchen.  “Can you open the wine?”

Han Tae-sun heard Kim Dong-Hyub pouring the drink.  He carried both glasses to the kitchen.

He had dressed up too.  Han Tae-sun felt good.  “You clean up good” he said.

Kim Dong-Hyub laughed.  “You said, it is a date night”

Han Tae-sun “Come, help me a bit”

…..

They moved the food to the dinner table.  It looked nice. 

Han Tae-sun “Let’s eat”

Han Tae-sun was beginning to get tense again.  But Kim Dong-Hyub was enjoying the food, laughing as he shared something funny. 

Kim Dong-Hyub was beginning to take notice.  He was also getting a little concerned.  “What is going on Tae-sun?”

Han Tae-sun “Hmm… I want to give you something”

Kim Dong-Hyub “You got something for me?”

Han Tae-sun “Wait”

He then, opened his bag and took out the ring box.  Hid it in his hands while walking back to the dining table. 

He then put it front of Kim Dong-Hyub.

Han Tae-sun “Open” gesturing. 

Kim Dong-Hyub’s heart was racing now.  He knew what was in that box. 

Everything about today then made sense.  Han Tae-sun’s nervousness, dressing up, nice dinner, sake.  Han Tae-sun was proposing to him. 

Kim Dong-Hyub breathed deeply.  ‘How far had they come for Han Tae-sun to feel confident enough to do this? '

Kim Dong-Hyub opened the box.  There were two rings.  He was getting teary eyed, his heart feeling full.  He looked up trying to control every happiness and joy he was feeling inside.

Han Tae-sun said “I don’t have a speech.  But, I want to commit”

Kim Dong-Hyub “Me too”

Han Tae-sun said “I love you.”

Kim Dong-Hyub “I love you too”

Then they wore the rings.  Han Tae-sun wore his own first.  Kim Dong-Hyub then wore his. 

Both of them looked at each other and then Kim Dong-Hyub pushed his chair back and pulled Han Tae-sun to him, kissed him as deeply as he could.

When he finally let go, they just stood there, hugging, both emotional. 

Kim Dong-Hyub said “Wow, did not expect this”

Han Tae-sun “You are really dumb.  I was asking about accessories and then checking your hand, comparing my hand to yours.  What did you think I was doing?”

Kim Dong-Hyub “I thought you were being your weird self”

Han Tae-sun laughed.  They were still holding each other. 

Kim Dong-Hyub said again “I love you Han Tae-sun.  I want to spend the rest of my life with you”

Han Tae-sun shuddered against him with feeling.

…..

They quietly cleaned up and then went to bed.

It felt different today.  More emotional.  They were gentle with each other, taking their time. 

They both cried a little feeling overwhelmed when they held each other after they finished. 

…..

It did not matter they could not marry legally.  They had now committed to each other.  They will worry about practical things later.

…..