Just leave me alone

First and Forever Love

Kim Dong-hyub decided right now may be the perfect time to use the excuse of the movie to see if they could hang out together.  So, when Han Tae-sun wrapped up his set, Kim Dong-hyub ran backstage to find Han Tae-sun.  He was packing up.

Kim Dong-hyub called out.  “Hey there, Han Tae-sun, I really enjoyed that performance”.   Kim Dong-hyub bowed slightly when Han Tae-sun looked up.  He did not have the customary annoyed expression right now.  Wait, ‘was this guy blushing?  Must be the lighting.’   After a pause where a variety of expressions passed on his face, Han Tae-sun finally bowed politely and said thank you.

“So, I wanted to talk to you about something.  Do you have time to join me and my friends for a drink? “

Han Tae-sun was not in the mood to socialize.  Today or ever.  He had all his socializing taken care of with his model friends where he did not have to explain himself.  He did not even know who Kim Dong-hyub and his merry band were.   But he was curious about what they could possibly have to talk about. 

“What on earth would we have to talk about?  We don’t even know each other.” He asked.  His annoyance coming back to the surface. 

Kim Dong-hyub chuckled.  “Boy, you are hard to approach”

“Well, Some of my friends and I are putting together a plan for a movie project and we thought your music would be a great addition as background score.  Colin is a musician himself and you could work as a team. “

Han Tae-sun raised his hand as a signal for him to stop.  “I am not interested”

“Why?” Kim Dong-hyub did not want to give up.

Han Tae-sun was not interested mostly because he did not want to hang around this good looking guy who had a great laugh and better looking grin.  He could almost imagine how he may let his guard down and then would have to deal with the consequences.  He had enough on his plate already without adding any more to it.  It took a long time for him to get over Oska.  He was finally leading a normal life – as normal as he could possibly make it. 

“I am very busy.  Sorry.  I need to leave now”.  With that Han Tae-sun pointedly ignored Kim Dong-hyub and packed up rest of his stuff and left.

Kim Dong-hyub was puzzled.  Why was he playing so hard to get?  How could Kim Dong-hyub break that wall?  Why was he looking at him while singing that song?  Kim Dong-hyub could make friends easily.  This was a new experience for him.  For some reason, he decided to be persistent.  I am not sure why this is important to me right now but I am going to break that wall, he thought to himself as he walked back to his table with his hands in his pockets.

His friends were still chatting, laughing and having fun.  Kim Dong-hyub just wanted to leave.  It was not fun anymore.  He started showing signs of impatience. 

“Did you meet him?  What did he say?” Colin asked sensing the impatience.

“He said he will have to think about it” Kim Dong-hyub lied.  He did not want to tell Colin, Han Tae-sun had outright rejected the idea.  He wanted some room to pursue this further.  “He says he has a lot on his plate right now and he will see if he can make time”.  

“Well, you made him say more than two sentences.  It is better than what most people have been able to get out of him.  So, congratulations!” Colin laughed. 

Colin was also puzzled by the visible mood change with Kim Dong-hyub.  What’s up with him? That guy must have been rude again Colin thought.  Kim Dong-hyub’s interest in the singer simply mystified Colin.  He knew it was not just because of the background score.  It was clear Dong-hyub was simply using that excuse.  They were perfectly fine before Kim Dong-hyub found out about Han Tae-sun.  So, what was going on with his friend? 

He shook his head.  His date was pretty and fun.  May be he will ask her out again.  He ignored kicks from Kim Dong-hyub.  Clearly guy wanted to leave.  Colin did not care.  Let him simmer.  I am going to have fun.

After an hour, they had their last drink and decided to leave.  Girls had to be dropped.  Kim Dong-hyub almost bailed but reminded himself just in time he is a gentleman. 

It was the first time he simply did not enjoy anyone’s company.  Colin included.  He found everything noisy.  He went back to his place agitated.  Not clear why he was feeling this way.

…..

Next day, he decided to look for Han Tae-sun in the studio first.  Did not find him there.  So, decided to walk to the music department.  Found him in a class in an intimate conversation with a girl.  Kim Dong-hyub watched them for few minutes.  Their heads were almost touching looking at some sheets of paper.  The girl had a guitar in hand and sometimes strummed some chords.  Sometimes they smiled at each other.  It looked like an easy interaction. 

Kim Dong-hyub was curious about his own reaction. Was he feeling jealous? Without thinking about it too much, he strolled right in and said “Hi Han Tae-sun.  We meet again”. 

Han Tae-sun looked up with an extremely sullen expression.  “Are you stalking me?  Why are you so obsessed with me?”

“Yep, I am stalking you.  Not sure about the obsession though” he said it cheerily though he was not feeling that cheerful right at that time.

“Can I borrow him from you for few minutes?” He asked the girl smiling brightly.  Girl smiled back and said sure. 

“Hey, we need to finish this Pil-suk.”  Then looking at Kim Dong-hyub “I don’t want to be borrowed right now”

Lee Pil-suk glared at her friend for being so rude.  “We can finish this later.  I will call you”. 

Han Tae-sun was looking particularly irritated now and staring draggers at the girls back. 

“What?” He almost shouted at Kim Dong-hyub.  Kim Dong-hyub raised his hands as if he was defending himself for any attack.  “Hey! Why are you always this rude?  Have I done something to offend you in some way?” he asked back.

That seemed to calm Han Tae-sun down a bit.  At least the irritated expression left his face.  That was replaced by sullenness. He folded his hands over his chest and asked again “Why are you looking for me?  I already told you I don’t have time to work with you on that project.  I have enough of my own stuff.”

“This is a college project.  I am sure you will get credit for it.  Why don’t you ask your teacher?  Then you can replace your project with this one” Kim Dong-hyub tried to reason with him.

“I like what I am working on right now.  So, stop bothering me.”

He stood up as if to leave.  Kim Dong-hyub did not want to let this one go.  So, he grabbed Han Tae-sun’s arm gently and that got him an overreaction from Han Tae-sun.  “What the hell are you doing?  Did you just grab me?”.  Kim Dong-hyub was really surprised at the reaction.  How can anyone react this strongly for a gentle arm grab? 

Han Tae-sun pulled back his arm violently and Kim Dong-hyub immediately said sorry.  “I did not grab you man.  I just wanted to talk”. 

Han Tae-sun realized that must have looked very strange to Kim Dong-hyub.  Why am I being unusually rude to this guy?  He has always been nice to me.  My issues are my own.  Why am I projecting them to him? 

Han Tae-sun sighed.  “I am sorry.  I think I overreacted.   I have some personal reasons why I can’t take up your project.  But I can recommend someone good who might be able to help”

Kim Dong-hyub felt disappointed.  “No, that is fine.  I wanted you to be part of it. If you simply cannot do it, we will find someone ourselves.”

Han Tae-sun sensed his disappointment and felt bad for him.  “I am sorry I have been rude.  I am not very social.“  He tried to be apologetic.  He did not like feeling apologetic. 

“May be we can hang out sometimes” said Kim Dong-hyub, trying hard not to sound like a stalker. 

Han Tae-sun sighed.  He will need to nip this in the bud.  The guy looked like a nice guy and hopefully he will not regret telling him this.  But if he is not honest, then this may go on and on. 

“Listen, I don’t advertise this fact so I would appreciate it if you don’t repeat it.  I am gay.  I want to finish my time here in peace.  So, can you please leave me alone?”

Kim Dong-hyub expected more snark.  But this, he did not expect.  All that came out of his mouth was “Oh.  I am sorry”.  Then he realized what he said and how it may be interpreted.  So, he stammered “Sorry, what I mean is…” Han Tae-sun cut him off.  “Whatever”  and walked out.

Kim Dong-hyub was left speechless.  He looked around to see if anyone had heard the conversation.  There was no one around. 

The exchange left him confused.  He felt restless the entire day.  Could not concentrate in his classes for the first time.  Colin found him brooding on the grounds and tried all his tricks to get him to talk but in vain.  So, he let him brood and started strumming his guitar. 

After sometime of quiet, Kim Dong-hyub announced he is done for the day and left.

Colin was worried for his friend.  Since they have become friends, he had only seen the fun side of Kim Dong-hyub.  He was always laughing, cracking jokes and fooling around when they were with each other.  He did not know what was going on now or how he could help.  ‘May be guy just needs some space.’  Colin continued to strum his guitar and a group of girls came by to listen to him.  That brightened him immediately and he forgot all about Kim Dong-hyub. 

…..