Colin: Boys being bad boys

First and Forever Love

With all his free time occupied with Han Tae-sun, Kim Dong-Hyub had neglected his friendship with Colin.  He had already told Colin long ago that he was now in a relationship with Han Tae-sun and everything looked okay.  He had realized Colin was not into mushy talk and he was not interested in the details.  Colin was happy for his friend.  Kim Dong-Hyub was his cheerful self and Colin treated him just the way he had treated him before he found out he was gay.  He still talked about girls and Kim Dong-Hyub listened highly amused. 

“How come you don’t have a girl friend?  You seem to be dating a lot” Kim Dong-Hyub asked.  Han Tae-sun was busy and he had some time.  He had invited Colin out to beer like old times and they were just chatting. 

“I am modeling myself after my father” Colin said.  “Well, not now.  Now he has found someone he loves.  Actually chased her aggressively.  But he had a lot of fun before that.  So, I want to see how it was like”

“Oh” Kim Dong-Hyub was surprised.  ‘How less we really know about each other’.

“So, your parents had a divorce?” He asked.  He was not sure if this was  sensitive topic for Colin.  So, he immediately said “I am sorry I asked.  If you are not comfortable, we can change the topic”

“No, that’s fine.  My life is slightly like a Korean drama.” Colin laughed.

“It’s been an adventure.  They are not divorced.  Ha!  You are curious aren’t you?” Colin was very amused by Kim Dong-Hyub’s expression. 

Colin now had a very happy life.  He had a dad who was trying hard and his 3 friends who were hilarious.  They all treated him like he was all of their son, and advised him on everything.  Each of them had different personalities and had different advice on the same matter.  Which for him was lot of fun now.  He had gone through his own set of angst for a period but it had all turned out be great for him.  Kim Dong-Hyub reminded him of his own friend that he had back in high school.  He was also just like Kim Dong-Hyub, bright and cheerful.  ‘But also a hoodlum’ Colin recalled fondly.   It still amused him that his then friend had a crush on his teacher who was his Dad’s girlfriend now.  ‘Yes, my life is definitely a Korean drama.’

Kim Dong-Hyub admitted he was very curious.  Colin felt very comfortable telling his story.  Kim Dong-Hyub listened with utter disbelief.

Colin was an outcome of one night stand between his dad and his mom when they were very young.  His mom had not told his dad when she had gotten pregnant.  Instead had run away to US with her parents help.  She was a single parent for a long time and then had met a nice guy, gotten married.  Colin had always longed to know his roots.  He wanted to go back to Korea and find out who it was.  All he had was a photograph his Mom had kept close all those years.  4 guys and her.  He recalled her looking at that picture fondly all the time when he was very young and he had saved it.  And then one day, when he could leave, he had just left.  Searching for these 4 guys with 100% certainty that one of them was his dad.

He had come straight out and had told all 4 of them that one of them was his dad.  It had appeared that all 4 had a crush on his mom during those days and had bragged to each other that they all had slept with her.  Only one of them had not bragged.  He had kept quiet.  When Colin had announced this news, each of them had admitted they had not really slept with her and but one of the lawyer friend had decided to get DNA test done.  That was how he found out the biggest playboy in that group was his dad.  He was an eternal bachelor, had not known about the existence of a son and it had shocked him. 

It all got wrapped up well in the end.  He was delighted with his life and how it had all turned out for him. 

Kim Dong-Hyub still had a complete look of ‘you are ing with me right?’.  So, Colin laughed happily and said everything he said was the truth. 

“!”  that was all Kim Dong-Hyub had to say.  “What a story you have.”

“Listen” Kim Dong-Hyub said after digesting all that.  “It is really a great story and I want to tell Han Tae-sun just for fun.  I am asking only because you sound perfectly happy.  Is that okay?”

“What you have no more conversation topics with each other?” Colin asked.  He did not mind at all.  He knew it was a good story. 

“No, it is just unbelievable.  I have been trying make Han Tae-sun laugh and this one for sure will make him laugh” He admitted honestly.

Colin hmphed.  “What is with you and making him laugh?  It is so weird.  I have never heard anyone taking that up as if it is a project!”

“Well, he does not laugh easily.  It is just him.  So, is that okay?”

“Hey, I don’t care.  If it gives you two extra s, how can I say no” Colin said.

“You are disgusting” Kim Dong-Hyub said.  “I am” Colin agreed happily.

Kim Dong-Hyub banged the table.  “Man, that was fun!”

Colin laughed. 

In the end, both of them got very drunk.  They were refused more alcohol and were put in a cab.  Colin was far gone than Kim Dong-Hyub.  So, Kim Dong-Hyub gave his phone to the bouncer saying “Han Tae-sun” “Han Tae-sun” pointing to his phone. 

That was how Han Tae-sun got another drunken call.

He had a busy evening and he was still in the studio when this phone call came.  The bouncer said “There are two guys here very drunk and one of them asked me to call you.  They need to go right now.  They are making a lot of noise.  What address should I give the cab?”

Han Tae-sun was exasperated.  What is with Kim Dong-Hyub?  And who was this other guy?  He gave the bouncer Kim Dong-Hyub’s apartment address.  Found out he could be there by the time they reached up.

He was very annoyed with Kim Dong-Hyub for interrupting his producing session.  Now he has to put more time.  Luckily he was working alone trying to do some mixing and experimenting with sounds.  It just wasted his time!  And for this!  ‘I am going to kill that bastard!  Who the is the other guy?’ He was fuming inside as the cab pulled in.  Cab driver opened the door and two guys stumbled out.  It was Colin. 

“Han Tae-sun!” Kim Dong-Hyub said happily, with a very delighted face.  He was so drunk.  So, Han Tae-sun asked the cab driver if he could help with the other guy.  So, they both got them to the elevator, falling over each other, both of them giggling and acting extremely silly.  “Aiiiish” Han Tae-sun grumbled.  The cab driver had to go so, he could not help Han Tae-sun to take them all the way to the apartment.

When they reached the 5th floor, Han Tae-sun, first dragged Colin to the door.  Let him drop to the floor.  ‘I hope he hurts himself’ Han Tae-sun thought uncharitably.  Kim Dong-Hyub was trying to walk, all the while delighted with himself.  “Han Tae-sun, you came!”.  Han Tae-sun simply shook his head.  “Did he know he looked an idiot?”.  He helped him to the door and looked inside his pockets for keys. 

Colin said drunkenly.  “Don’t do it in front of me man…”

“Shut up!” Han Tae-sun said.  He finally found the key.  Kim Dong-Hyub was still giggly. 

It took marathon effort to push them inside and get them to the couch. 

Han Tae-sun was not sure what to do next.  “Aiiiish” he groaned. 

He debated with himself if he should simply leave both of them now that they were safe and let them figure out the rest whenever they came back to their senses or just stay. 

He sighed, he knew he could not leave Kim Dong-Hyub like this and walk away. 

“Oh.  ing bastard!” he cursed again.

He poked Kim Dong-Hyub.  Kim Dong-Hyub was nodding off on Colin’s shoulder and Colin had his head bent forward almost falling off the couch. 

This time Han Tae-sun poked Kim Dong-Hyub pretty hard.  “Hey Kim Dong-Hyub.  Go wash your face.  I am too tired to carry you.”

It needed couple of kicks and more pokes.  KDH “Huh?”

“Get up, wash your face, puke or something.  Go Go, get up”.

He pulled him up.  Kim Dong-Hyub “Yeah”.  His head rolling a little bit. 

So, Han Tae-sun pulled on him and dragged him into shower and started the cold shower. 

That woke Kim Dong-Hyub up.  “What the hell?”. 

“Wake up!”  He held on so he would not fall.  It looked like Kim Dong-Hyub was about to go sick.  So, He put his face near the toilet bowl and said “Go ahead.  This was what I needed today”. 

Kim Dong-Hyub threw up.  “Ah! Disgusting”.  Han Tae-sun refused to look down.  He flushed the toilet and lifted Kim Dong-Hyub back up and put him back under the shower. 

It all took some time, but Kim Dong-Hyub had at least stopped giggling.  He was able to help himself somehow.  Han Tae-sun helped him with his clothes, put him to bed and changed his clothes, used KDHs tshirt and shorts and fell down to bed exhausted.

Kim Dong-Hyub had already started snoring.  Han Tae-sun thought of Colin.  “I am not doing that again”. 

He sighed again, got up, straightened Colin on the couch.  Took out a blanket and covered him and then left him alone. 

Back in bed, he was sleeping before his head hit the pillow. 

Sometime early in the morning, HTS heard sounds.  He had kept the small light on in the living room incase Colin woke in the night and panicked.  He heard some sounds.  ‘Had Colin come to this place before?’  He wondered. 

He groaned as he got up.  Colin had woken up and was trying to wash his face in the kitchen sink.  Han Tae-sun took out a towel, randomly thinking ‘we need more towels here’

He took the towel to Colin.  “Hey Idiot!  Go to the bathroom.  It’s over there”. 

Colin “Huh? “  Han Tae-sun gave him the towel.  “If you want to go the bathroom, it’s over there”

Colin “Huh….Okay”.  He took the towel, went to the bathroom trying to shake himself off. 

‘Where was he?  What Han Tae-sun was doing here?  Where was here?’

Ah… I am either in Han Tae-sun’s apartment or Kim Dong-Hyub’s apartment’ Either way, he needed to leave.  He will figure out what the hell happened tomorrow.  ‘Or is it today?’

He came out, “I should go”

Han Tae-sun nodded looking annoyed  “Okay”.

Colin left.

Han Tae-sun went back to bed.

‘ing bastards!’

……

 

 

Authors Note: Colin's story is from Korean Drama 'A Gentleman's Dignity'