Choong Sung

Hashtag Communication
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choong Sung!

 

It’s been 3 months since Donghae enlisted.

As expected, communication between the couple was very limited. But as they promised each other, Donghae and Dara constantly sent letters to each other as this was the only available means they had while he was on training

Dara made sure to answer each letter as soon as possible after reading them, just like Donghae she poured her heart in the treasured letters, each written word like a gem filling their hearts like a trove.

Dara thought that her letters might be lost in the heap of letters Donghae is receiving from his fans and there is a possibility that he won’t be able to read it in time so she kept copies of her letters before she sent them to camp.

Her instinct served her right because Donghae complained the instant she received a phone call from him that he had not found a letter yet coming from her. She almost laughed just imagining his face while saying it and she could tell he was pouting. Kyeopta!

Yes, Donghae also managed to call her a few times, and their first phone conversation was filled with emotions - they cried, they laughed, he shared stories that she listened to with so much longing in her heart. Since then, she would freak out whenever she missed a call from an unregistered number because she knew it would be Donghae. Fortunately, her boyfriend is no stranger to a celebrity life that he was really patient and understanding whenever she could not take his call.

And that is why they promised to never stop sending letters. In letters, they could freely express themselves and not become pressured beating the limited time they have in phone conversations. This is one thing that they have in common, being romanticists and traditional and they both agree that writing letters are more romantic.

It’s a good thing that she opted to compile the copies of her letters to him. She kept them neatly in a scrapbook, pasted alongside each letter from Donghae, and in between the letters she added notes on colourful stick-ons each day and night, like telling him the highlights of the days or what her thoughts were. She considers this keepsake as their storybook while being apart and this could be a nice welcome back gift to his boyfriend upon his discharge. Sweet, Dara smiled feeling proud of herself as she pasted another post-it where she wrote another love note to her Donghae.

 

 

November 12, 2015: Dara’s birthday and Donghae’s Graduation from Nonsan.

 

Of course, they were not together at that time, but Donghae called her using his phone which he entrusted to his mom while he is in the service.

“Happy Birthday my sweet.” He cooed.

Dara can’t help but laugh on the way he called her. “My sweet? That’s new. I’m not your baby anymore?” They both laughed.

“Congratulations, nae adeul! I’m so proud of you!” Dara giggled.

“What the…. You’re not my mom, and I am not your son, NOONA!” he teased.

 

They continued to converse lightly, bringing smiles to the people around Donghae at that time overhearing the conversation.

Lee omma, Teuk leader and friend Jinoo. They were happy to see Donghae and more because he looked good, although he lost a bit of weight, but overall he looked fine.

 

“Hey, I am really missing you right now, you know that?” Donghae lowered his voice as he walked a bit farther from the group for a little bit of privacy.

 

“I know, and I missed you too, so much, if only you knew.” Dara sighed as she felt the deep yearning to see the love of her life in the flesh, now.

 

“I love you. Happy birthday. I wish I could be with you in Busan.” He sighed.

 

“We will, in time, we will be together and visit Busan..

Hae, I love you tooooo much. Don’t forget that.”

Dara has exaggerated her “I love you too” and it made Donghae’s heart flutter some more.. 

 

And they said their temporary goodbyes.. Again..

 

 

 

 

A WEEK BEFORE THE MAMA PERFORMANCE…

Dara was in the YG building. They were called to report to the headquarters for word just came from the president that they will perform as four on MAMA 2015 in Hongkong. Dara and the girls were elated upon hearing the news. They hugged each other, they cried and cried some more when they realized how they missed each other and how they long to perform on stage together again as four, as 2ne1. The girls could not contain their excitement but the president spoke and they were forewarned. As the appearance will be a surprise, strict confidentiality of the information is being implemented and everyone is under a stern warning not to divulge any information to anyone not privy to the performance.   

As much as she wanted to squeal to her boyfriend the good news, Dara managed to keep the information to herself.

Since then, she frequented the YG gym to prepare for the performance physically.

And she and the girls started to practice together again, starting with their vocals and then their dance moves. Dara, Bom and Minzy were anxious that their skills must have rusted a bit due to a year-long hiatus, and so they practiced more like rookies again.

As she started to get busy, she did miss a few calls from Donghae. Dara was overly concerned that it may make her boyfriend worried. But she could not tell him what she’s up to, can she. She wished he would call again and she would be available to answer. At least they would be able to talk.

 

As Dara was preparing to go to YG Head Office for 2ne1’s MAMA performance practice, Dara’s phone started ringing and she was surprised to see the caller ID “Lee Omma” flashing on her screen.

 

“Neh, ommoni! Ah, I-i’m sorry, M-mrs. Lee, good morning!” Dara stuttered.

 

She suddenly hesitated to call Donghae’s mom “ommoni”.

She mentally slapped herself for having a thick skin calling his mom as that when she was fully aware that Lee omma was very upset with her when she broke up with her precious son on that fateful night.

 

“Dara-shi, I just called to tell you that our Donghae got sick and he was rushed to the infirmary yesterday. I am with him right now, so try not to worry anymore. He asked me to call and tell you not to worry.”

 

Dara was stupefied by what Lee omma was saying. Her voice was kind and reassuring but she heard the words “sick” and “infirmary” and it hit her. She felt panic and suddenly she can’t speak.

 

“Dara?” she heard Lee omma say.

 

“S-sick? Why? H-how is he Mrs. Lee? What happened? How come?” Dara was filled with worry, her voice already quivering.

 

“He caught a very bad cold. It weakened him, they had to bring him in for treatment. He is on an IV and is still sleeping right now. I talked to the doctor and he said he might be confined probably until tomorrow if his condition continues to improve today.” Lee omma filled her the details. Her voice was very composed and that gave Dara hope that the news is probably not that bad.

 

“Is he gonna be alright, Mrs. Lee? Can I talk to him?” Dara started to cry.

 

“Oh dear, don’t cry. He’s gonna be OK. Our Donghae can’t really stand the cold, but the doctor reassured me that his prognosis is good and he just needs to rest to strengthen his immune system. He was already given antibiotics and vitamins and some anti-allergy to treat his severe sinusitis that’s why he is knocked out on bed right now. I’ll call you again when he wakes up so you could talk, OK?”

 

“N-neh, Mrs. Lee. Thank you very much for telling me. Please kindly update me on his progress. I wish I could see him right now.” Dara managed to answer although it took her a few more seconds to respond.

“Neh.” Mrs. Lee then said her goodbye.

 

Lee omma’s call left Dara perturbed. She was so filled with worry, her mind can’t think of anything else but Donghae.

My baby is sick she kept thinking. She was so agitated that she went straight to see the President when she came to their YG headquarters.

 

 

 

The president’s secretary is secretly eyeing her, finding her behaviour a bit strange.

Dara sat quietly while waiting for the President. She seemed to be in deep thoughts and unmindful of her surroundings. She kept fidgeting on her seat and checking her phone from time to time.

Alas, the telephone on the secretary’s desk rang and the signal to let Dara in finally came.

 

“Yes Dara, what is it?” President Yang greeted her.

 

Dara bowed and greeted, but all of a sudden she dropped on her knees surprising the president.

 

“What is it? Have you done something wrong? What are you doing? Get up Dara-yah.”

 

Dara did not budge but instead she started to cry.

YG stood up from his chair and approached the crying girl, worry written all over his face.

 

“Dara-yah, tell me what’s wrong and I’ll try my best to help you. Meanwhile stop crying and talk to me.”

 

“Please allow me to see him, saj

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter