We're on the right track - Chapter 3

We're on the right track

The further Jungkook walked away from the station the better he could breathe, living in a big city might have certain advantages, but oh boy how good the smell of blooming trees and clean, fresh unpolluted air felt entering his lungs right now. Whole weeks of this would certainly make him forget all the troubles back home.

 

But seemed like it wouldn’t make a certain boy’s image disappear from his mind though. Not even five minutes had passed since he last saw Jimin hugging his own knees while seating on a hard surfaced bench waiting for the answer to his problems, and Jungkook was already wondering what the other could be doing right now.

 

He shook his head, ‘be gone stupid thoughts!’ his fists clenched in the pockets of his jacket as he took slow steps over the gravel filled streets. It had been at least five years since he found himself in that same place, but he could still remember all the small roads leading to his cousin’s house, memories of his childhood flooding his brain and he couldn’t help but smile, those were the best years of his life, no responsibilities, no struggles, just joking around and childish games, all the fun he could get.

 

How he missed someone to take care of him, being alone for the past couple years after leaving his parent’s home was not an easy task, but he guessed it is just what you have to go through in hope of some independence in life. Although having a helping hand, a shoulder for support, a little warmth and smiles once in a while wouldn’t be bad at all. Maybe he should at least find a roommate once he headed back, since a girlfriend sounded so far of an accomplishment for him right now.

 

Jungkook found himself staring at familiar large windows and cute flower pots scattered all over as he reached his cousin’s small cottage. He chuckled thinking of how it looked like a girl lived at the house instead of a full grown man, his cousin was always fond of making things look nice and organized, he would be the one cleaning up after Jungkook like he had been born to take care of things and people.

 

‘Hope he returns safely home.’ Jungkook thought as he walked the steps leading to the door and glanced around trying to find the exact spot he was instructed to look for the keys, he then saw what seemed to be a loose floorboard and, as expected, found the old pieces of metal lying on the ground under it. Picking it up and inserting it in the keyhole to open the house that would be his refuge for the next several weeks.

 

Once inside, he made sure to notice how tidy the place looked, spotless as ever. He dropped his bag on the floor and went straight for the comfy sofa, seating down on it and looking up at the ceiling. Despite having not much to do when alone, he felt peaceful and his whole body could finally relax.

 

‘Jimin is probably uncomfortable on that cold place while I’m here so nice and warm.’ Is that really what you should be thinking right now? Jungkook was having a hard time fighting his mind for dominance as it would always find a way back to that crazy boy from the train.

 

He was unpleased with those thoughts, but even more urgent, he was starving. His stomach growled and Jungkook found the perfect excuse to keep his mind busy. He jumped off the couch and headed towards the kitchen, on the fridge door he saw a little note ‘Please take care, I’ll be back soon.’ 

 

Opening it he could feel the cool breeze coming from inside and his eyes lit with happiness as he saw the fullness inside of it, like he had not seen one in a long, long time. So colorful and smelled amazing, that much food felt almost like a sin. Jungkook took time to also open the cabinets and they were packed with all sorts of snacks and candies, he could only describe that moment as heaven.

 

“I love you Jin, you are so nice to me!”  He exclaimed jumping around then collecting some of the food and going back to his place on the living room. Jungkook was starting to feel that comfort from his childhood again.

 

Night came and he was so full he could barely stand up, he looked out the window to see a starry sky so beautiful it hurt. ‘As beautiful as Jimin.’ This time Jungkook didn’t fight his conscience and freely thought of the other boy. ‘Was he already home by now? Or is he still waiting there, all alone?’

 

“Maybe I should go for a walk.” Jungkook whispered to himself, already grabbing the keys and leaving the house.