We're on the right track - Chapter 1

We're on the right track

The midday sun burned hot over his skin, but it didn’t really bother him at all, it felt soothing in a way. Sighing, Jungkook enjoyed the warmth with closed eyes, leaning his head onto his arms against the huge glass window, leaving small sweat marks whenever his chest moved up and down with his calm and steady breathing.

He was happy he’s got an opportunity to leave his busy and stressing life behind even if just for a few weeks. In the back of his mind he wondered how he had possibly managed three different jobs in the past months just to get enough money for studies. He planned on starting an actual career one day and was pretty sure walking dogs, serving tables and washing dirty cars weren’t going to cut it for long.

Jungkook actually intended to continue this torture at least till the end of the year, but when he got a phone call from his cousin, inviting him to spend a few weeks at his cozy little cottage far away from any big city contact, he just couldn’t pass the opportunity and quit on every one of those pitiful jobs imagining it wouldn’t be any difficult to find other things to do when he came back.

Even though he’d be alone for the whole first week, as his cousin would be climbing the mountains in some yearly marathon, his responsibility was to take care of the house anyway so he might as well enjoy these days by himself. Then whenever company would be back, he’d be glad to share some affection, after all it had been at least four years since he last saw the other boy, or better saying, man now.

If he came to think of it, he was also a man at this point, lived on his own, paid his own bills and bought his own food. I guess the only thing missing was to get himself a girlfriend. His cheeks blushed slightly at the thought, he was never the kind of guy to attract the girl’s sight, although he did consider himself a very handsome type, he just had always been really awkward around the opposite and that didn’t seem to buy him lot of attention.

“Excuse me, I think you’re in the wrong seat dear.” Jungkook opened his eyes to see an old lady staring at him, pointing to the number above the seat and showing him her ticket.

Jungkook stood straight uncrossing his legs and reaching for his pocket to check his own ticket and to his surprise the woman was right. What in the world was he thinking? He usually didn’t make mistakes like this; he was swiftly up on his feet and apologizing again and again to the lady in front of him, bowing in respect and getting out her way.  She smiled in return and took the seat he was previously in.

The tall boy couldn’t help wondering if his lack of way around women has affected even the older ones now, because his face was bright red and he felt so out of place as he got his bag from the compartment above and moved around the train searching for his actual seat. His head was in fact on the clouds the whole morning as he just couldn’t brush this feeling that everything would be wonderful where he was going, not minding the fact that it would last less than possibly desired.

He paced forward in the small corridor secretly wishing that no one would be seated next to him, just as it was back there, enjoying the rays of sunshine on his body and a little peace and quiet. He stopped dead on his track matching the numbers on the paper to the ones on the small lit sign. The person currently lounging on the seat would certainly feel his displeased stare burning through their skull if not for their state of deep slumber right now.

The boy had his hooded head buried in his chest, arms crossed and legs spread wide like he could care less if the seats were meant for two. He seemed so tired that his snores could be heard from distance.

“Great…” Jungkook glared at the slouching figure as he sat beside him very uncomfortably. He held his breath imagining that the other would probably smell as bad as he was looking right now, I mean, his clothes were pretty torn and old, not to mention the very dirty shoes he could see peeking under the seat ahead.

When he couldn’t hold it anymore he finally inhaled the air, dreading for his poor nose, but couldn’t smell anything foul, in fact, the fragrance coming from the other was nothing but enjoyable. He sighed in relief, feeling a bit more content that at least this wouldn’t be a problem.

On the other hand, the snoring definitely was, Jungkook cursed himself for forgetting to charge his phone before leaving the house or he would be listening to nice melodies by now instead of the sound of pigs being slaughtered. He rolled his eyes and tried to think of something to distract him.

He then remembered the book he had packed on his bag and stood up to get it. Returning to seat he felt as if the other has clearly leaned closer to his side and with a push to his shoulders he returned the boy to his original position, but not before noticing he smelled a lot like flowers, which in his mind was not very masculine at all. Jungkook found this guy was weird and made him feel quite uneasy, worse, the trip had pretty much just started.

“This is gonna be a long day.” He whispered as he opened the book on his hands by holding on the page marker and started reading tales of fantastic creatures and treasures. And so hours had passed and his focus was caught only by the words scribbled over the paper.

After a while the sound of loud snores subsided and all he could hear was light breathing coming from the one beside him, it actually felt nice almost like a soundtrack to his reading adventures. He was reaching the end of the on a chapter when he felt something touch his knee.

Jungkook looked down to see a small hand that had slip from the other’s chest to rest over his leg. He raised an eyebrow to it, but wasn’t really that bothered as the first thought that came to his mind was how that hand could be so delicate and small. Was the boy sitting next to him maybe actually a girl? That would explain the awkwardness.

Jungkook’s curiosity got the best of him as he put the book down and tried to take a peek at the other’s face, currently covered by this navy blue hoodie. He slid his body down the seat to level up their heads, but all he saw was a puff of black locks, he couldn’t see much more from where he was standing.

Not feeling like giving up and sensing that the shorter one wouldn’t wake up anytime soon, Jungkook slowly and cautiously started to pull the hoodie off, revealing pouty lips, small nose and a pretty set of lashes. He stared in awe at the beautiful creature sleeping beside him, surprised not only by the nice-looking features, but also because he was obviously a boy, not a girl like he had thought before.

Eyes as gorgeous as his face were open now, catching Jungkook red handed. Jungkook felt his whole body hot, he was so embarrassed, he let go of the boy’s hoodie and leaned back in his seat feeling like he could go through it.

The handsome boy didn’t seem to care though and just resumed into fully waking up, stretching his arms above his head then looking back at Jungkook, who was trying to hide his face with the book.

“Hey, where are we?” The boy asked adverting his gaze to look outside his window.

“I’m not really sure.” Jungkook answered truthfully, now putting down his book, he had been so busy with the story reading and then later on his quest to discover the other’s gender that he even had no idea if the train was close or not to his destination.

“I’m Jimin, by the way.” The stranger finally had a name, it suited him, Jungkook thought.

“Jungkook.” He said, despite still feeling a little odd.

“…last station, please we ask… all pas…ers to get off at this stati… as the train would not be returning….” A cracked voice suddenly soared through the train’s cabin.

Jimin looked up at the sound and his mouth opened in surprise. “Oh, !”