Chapter 4

Double Trouble

 

 

 

 

"Thanks for agreeing to walk my doggies with me hyung. It's going to be so much fun with you." Kai beamed at Onew after they walked out of SHINee's dorm and handed him one of the leashes. "This is Monggu. And the one I'm holding is called Jjanggu. Say hi to Jinki hyung guys!"

Monggu stood up on his hind legs and pawed excited at Onew's trousers, wagging his tail happily.

"Ah, no, bad doggie! Monggu stop, you'll get hyung's jeans dirty!" Kai scooted to drag the poodle away but Onew shooed him away with his hand.

"Don't worry about it, it's just dirt, it will come off easily." he crouched down and ruffled the dog's head affectionately. "Isn't that right, Monggu? Your daddy's being a little too strict, isn't he? It's more fun when you get a little dirty, right?" He grinned and then giggled as the dog at his hand.

Kai watched in daze as Onew played with Monggu for a few minutes and then blushed slightly as he felt his heart flutter. Damn it. If there was one thing Jinki could do to make him fall head over heels for him, it would definitely be this. Treating his beloved kids kindly and taking interest in them. Could he get any more perfect?

Onew looked up at the younger and then stood up smiling a bit bashfully. "Ah, sorry, we were supposed to go for a walk..."

"N-no, no that's fine hyung. I was just um, wondering whether you were a dog lover or something like that."

The older scratched his neck and started walking. " Um, I guess I kind of got carried away there... It's just that when Kibum still lived at the dorm I got to see his puppies and play with them but now that he moved out... I don't know, I guess I miss having someone to keep me company when watching TV and stuff... And your doggies are also poodles so they kind of remind me of Comme Des and Garcons."

"Ah, um. If-" Kai smiled shyly and tucked a stand of hair behind his ear. "If- if you ever feel like playing with doggies you can always call me. I'll bring them over. Or -or something."

Onew grinned, his eyes turning into crescents. "Thanks, that would be great Jonginnie."

They walked to the nearest park and let the dogs loose so that they could run around for a bit. Kai and Onew sat down on a bench and kept an eye on them just in case they wanted to run off too far away.

"Ah, hyung. I have something for you!" Kai announced happily and rummaged in his pocket, his eyes involuntarily traveling to Onew's wrist.

"For me? What is it?"

"What's that?" Kai pointed at the bracelet on the older's wrist, his brows furrowing as he could already feel he won't like the answer.

"Oh, this? Taeminnie got it for me. His has the other half of the heart. Cute, isn't it?" Onew grinned but his smile quickly faltered when he noticed the sour expression on the younger man's face. He swallowed hard, once again having that weird feeling he had just done something very wrong.

Kai lowered his head without a word, his hand still remaining stiffly in his pocket.

"Um. So! You said you had something for me?" Onew asked, trying to smile and fix the atmosphere.

"I-..." Kai started and then sighed, finally pulling his hand out, and a colorful string bracelet along with it. "Junmyeonnie hyung taught me how to make those. I thought of you and... " he bit the inside of his cheek in frustration. His self-made bracelet looked cheap and childish compared to the silver one Onew was already wearing. He felt totally embarrassed right now and wished he had never said anything about having a gift for the older.

"You made this yourself?" Onew asked in awe, his eyes going wide. "No one has ever given me something as cool as this. I can't believe you actually made it for me..." he smiled genuinely, his eyes sparkling and cheeks flushed pink from excitement. "Thank you so much, I promise I'm going to wear it everywhere!"

Kai frowned and sadly looked down at his hands. "It's fine hyung, you don't have to do it just to make me happy. I know it looks crappy..."

"Are you kidding me?" Onew stared at the younger and then sighed in resignation, his expression softening. He lifted his hand and gently grabbed Kai's chin to make him look at him. "I really like it, okay? I wouldn't say so if I didn't. And it's really meaningful that you made it yourself, just thinking about how many hours you spent on making this makes me feel really special. I'm going to wear it everywhere and I'm going to roll up my sleeves so that people can see it. And when they ask me where it's from I'm going to proudly answer that I have this cute special little friend who was sweet enough to make it for me. Okay?"

Kai put his palms on his burning cheeks and nodded, feeling utterly embarrassed.

"Good." Onew grinned satisfied. "Now tie it for me so that I can see how this beautiful bracelet looks on my wrist." he stretched out his arm towards the younger and watched as Kai tied the strings into a little knot. "Um, by the way, can I ask you something?"

"Sure hyung." Kai answered and put his hands on his lap.

"Is there something going on between you and Taem? I'm sorry if I'm butting in, it's just that lately the both of you were acting kinda weird every time I mentioned the other and you started asking me to meet up alone and... I don't know, I just can't help but think that you guys are fighting or something..."

Kai stayed silent for a longer while before he his lips nervously and opened his mouth to speak. "It's not like that hyung.. I agree-... that we're not on the best terms lately but it's not really like we're fighting either. And I can't really answer for Taemin, but as to why I ask you to hang out with me alone..." the younger man's face turned really serious and suddenly Onew felt his stomach twist nervously. "...I like you hyung. I like you a lot and I want us to get to know each other better. I don't want you to see me only as Taemin's best friend anymore. I need you to see me as a separate person that you spend time with because you want to and not because I come as an extra with Taemin." he slowly reached out for the older's hands and hesitantly linked their fingers together.

Onew stared at him completely lost for words, his heart beating faster and faster with every passing second.

"Do you understand hyung?" Kai asked in a low voice and Onew suddenly found it hard to breathe, his words getting stuck in his throat. He nodded.

"Do you really though? I don't think you do..." the younger raised his right hand and threaded his fingers into Onew's hair, bringing him closer. He stared deeply into his hyung's eyes before he leaned in and pressed a small kiss on the corner of his mouth. "Think about it hyung." he uttered quietly against Onew's lips and then stood up to leave.

 

. I did it. I ing did it. Kai covered his mouth with his palm, heart hammering in his chest, as he quickly stomped in the direction of his dogs. He really wanted to look back and see whether Jinki was still there or whether he had went home, whether he looked confused, happy or angry, but that was not how they did it in movies. He was supposed to walk away coolly after making his love interest all frustrated and stuff. He took a deep breath and bent over to pick up Jjanggu from the ground but the poodle fled as soon as he did. 

"Hey!" Kai shouted and chased after the dog but the closer he got to Jjanggu the faster he run away. "Come on! Why are you doing this to me?!" he shouted after a few long minutes of the pursuit and then bent over panting loudly, hands on his knees. That's when Monggu decided to take pity on him, saunter over to him and hunker down beside his feet. "Monggu, you're the only one for me. I knew I could count on you.." he said, voice full of thankfulness. "Let daddy rest for a few seconds and we'll go catch your naughty little-"

Suddenly he heard a cough right behind him and he turned around to see Onew offering him the leash with Jjanggu attached to it. As soon as their eyes met Kai looked down, blushing from his neck to the tips of his ears. 

"Um." Onew started and it was as if a lightning hit Kai. He hurriedly snatched Jjanggu's leash away and sprinted off with both of his dogs.

 

 

 

 

Taemin's ears perked up when he heard the sound of the key sliding into the front door. He put away his console and waited impatiently for Onew to take off his shoes and jacket. When the older strolled into the living room he looked at the man and grinned. "You're finally back hyung!"

"Yeah." the older smiled in return and scratched the tip of his nose awkwardly and that's when Taemin noticed how flushed Jinki was.

"Is it cold outside? Why is your face so red?" he asked and turned around on the sofa to properly face the other man.

"Oh. Um. It's not? I-I mean I don't know, is it? Haha." he laughed and his eyes darted away to the side of the room.

Taemin frowned. "Hyung where were you?"

Onew bit his bottom lip already feeling what was coming. "I was taking a walk with Jonginnie and his puppies." he answered truthfully.

As expected the maknae's face immediately turned cold and for a second Jinki had a feeling he was going to get screamed at but the younger only looked away without a word as if he had no intention of continuing the conversation.

For a moment Onew wanted to take that chance and retreat to his room to avoid the conflict but then he remembered how horrible not talking about issues turned out for him in the past and exhaled, bracing himself for whatever was about to happen. He sat on the couch next to Taemin and looked at him meaningfully trying to make him spill whatever was troubling him.

The younger remained silent for a few minutes but then he pulled up his knees to his chest and hid his face in his arms. "Do you like him?" he mumbled quietly.

"Who? Jongin?" Jinki asked, even though he knew very well it was about him. "Yeah, I do. He's really nice and comfortable to spend time with."

"Yeah, but do you like him in that way?" Taemin urged.

That way? Jinki  blinked a few times and then froze, his mouth slightly ajar. That way? He stared at the younger dumbfounded, slowly starting to have an idea what was going on between the two. He swallowed uncomfortably, feeling his chest get tighter and tighter. Suddenly Jongin's face flashed in front of his eyes and then he remembered the numbing feeling of the younger's lips on his, the way he stopped breathing for a few seconds, the way-

"Do you like him more than me?" Taemin asked, his voice full of insecurity.

"I- um." Jinki swallowed again and then one more time, his palms getting sweaty from nervousness. He couldn't answer. Why couldn't he answer? "I- what kind of question is that?"

Taemin finally lifted his head from his arms and sent Onew the most disbelieving look the older had ever seen. "I can't ing believe you!"

"Watch your mouth." Onew scolded sternly as the younger jumped up from the couch, furious, his brows furrowed and lips twisted into a scowl.

"Are you serious right now?! Are you trying to tell me you like him more than me? When we spent nine freaking years-" Taemin choked up. When I loved you for nine freaking years "... nine-" he took a deep breath and lowered his head when his vision got blurry with tears. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry.

"I never said I liked him more than you."

Taemin sniffled and looked up at the older, his eyes red and hurt. "But you didn't say you didn't either..." he uttered weakly and wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. "I can't believe you hyung... I can't- ."

Jinki stepped back when he saw Taemin's tear-stained cheeks. The situation was nothing like the one in the past but the feeling was exactly the same. He was doing it again, he was ing up their relationship once more.

And when Taemin walked right pass him and locked himself in his room he once more found himself completely sewn to the ground, unable to say anything.

 

 

 

 

 

 


End of chapter no 4! 

I feel awkward asking you guys to leave your thoughts underneath but please do, it really makes me happy. The fic is getting pretty few comments and it makes me feel a bit anxious about the quality of the story.. Is it that you just don't have anything to say about the chapters the reason why you don't comment? I guess it's my fail as an author. Um. Sorry.

Anyway... Thanks for reading and see you next time! ^^