Chapter 1

Double Trouble

 

 

 

 

"Hey, watch out!" Sehun grabbed Kai's arms and pushed him aside to save him from walking straight into the cameraman who was currently filming SHINee's performance. 

Kai jumped in shock before smiling bashfully and running a hand through his pink hair. "Oh, um, thanks. I kinda dozed off for a second." he said, turned his head away and then just came back to staring at the stage in daze. There was one person that caught his eye, had been doing it for a while actually, and no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't stop looking at him. And by him he meant SHINee's leader Onew and by looking he meant staring like a creepy stalker. It's not like he could help it though. Hell, he didn't even know why it was happening, they knew each other for a few years now after all and he had never experienced something like this before.

He swallowed hard as he saw Onew's part coming. The leader came to the front and the moment his face appeared on the big screen a shiver went down Kai's spine. He trembled slightly before wiping his sweaty hands on his trousers. , this should not be happening. His gaze flicked back at the big screen and that's when Onew smiled to the camera, his piercing blue eyes crinkling, and Kai immediately felt his cheeks heat up, his heart beginning to pound loudly in his chest.

"Dude are you okay?" Sehun asked with his brows furrowed. "Do you have a fever? I can ask the manager to get you some medicine."

"Sehun-ah..."

"...What?"

"How does it feel to be in love?" Kai asked absent-mindedly before nervously his lips and turning in the younger's direction who was staring at him like he'd just grew out a second head.

"Uhm, I think I really should get our manager. And you should probably give up on going to the after party and just go back to the dorm when the concert ends. I think you might have hit your head or something."

Kai rolled his eyes and then sighed. "I'm fine, I just- I wanted to know, I... I want to be sure." he bit his bottom lip and looked down at his shoes. "But whatever, forget about it, I'll just ask Suho hyung later."

Sehun blinked in shock a few times and then smiled guiltily. "Oh, um I don't know you were... serious, I'm sorry. Um... I liked a few girls in the past but I don't think I've ever been in love so I wouldn't know, but I guess you're in love when you feel nervous around them? Or when they make your heart beat really fast or when just looking at them makes you happy? I guess?" he scratched his head and scrunched up his nose. "That probably didn't help you at all, I just really don't know that much about it."

Kai looked up at the stage once more and smiled warmly seeing Onew hide his face in embarrassment after doing the gwiyomi song . "No, that was perfect. Thanks, noodle."

The younger's eyes narrowed. "Noodle? So this is how you repay me for my amazing advice? To think I felt sorry for not taking you seriously. Way to ruin the atmosphere! You ingrate!"

Kai put his hand on Sehun's head and ruffled his hair. "Sorry, noodle. You really were of great help to me."

The younger crossed his arms over his chest. "Whatever, ingrate."

 

 

 

 

"Hyung where's my seat?" Kai asked after scanning the long table with his eyes a few times and not seeing even one empty spot.

Suho looked around and bit his lip. "I don't know Jonginnie, they must have miscounted the number of guests. Walk around, maybe you'll find a spare chair where our sunbaenims are seating."

Kai searched through the whole room besides where SHINee members were eating, for obvious reasons, and didn't manage to find any empty seats. He sighed defeated and wondered if he should just sit on the floor when he heard Taemin's voice coming from behind him.

"Hey, Jongin! What are you standing there for?"

He turned around and saw his friend, as well as SHINee's leader looking at him. He walked a bit closer and smiled. "Um, I think there's not enough chairs, I looked around but there's nowhere for me to sit..."

"Really?" Onew asked sympathetically pouting. Then he grinned sunnily and patted his thighs. "I guess there's no other choice, hop on!"

"Ah, no, i-it's fine hyung, I mean-" Kai stuttered, his face becoming a nice shade of red. He just found out about his feelings, it was way too soon for this kind of intimate skinship.

"Come on, you're not going to sit on the floor are you? My thighs are pretty strong, I won't break or anything if that's what you're worried about." Yes, he had multiple chances to take a note of how unbreakable they looked.

"Um. T-then..." Kai looked down at Onew's (oh my god) leather clad thighs and noticed Taemin's hand resting there. He looked up at his friend questioningly which earned him two raised eyebrows in response.

"Taem take your hand off so that Jongin can sit down." Onew said and Taemin made a displeased face because it's his Jinki's thigh and why should he give it up to someone? But he complied nonetheless, of course not before giving the thick leg a final squeeze and sending his best friend an annoyed look.

Kai his lips anxiously and carefully sat down on the older's lap, trying to put as little weight on it as possible. Onew wrapped his arms around his waist comfortably and Jongin thought he was going to faint right on the spot, his body blushing from his toes to the tips of his ears. This was not good, he had to come up with something to distract himself or something embarrassing might pop up.

"Uh, I watched your stage hyung, you were really great. I'm always impressed how you can sing so well even though the choreography is so difficult." Yes, that's right, a small talk should do the job. He looked at the older happily and, wait a second this was not a good idea, their faces were so close he could count the other's lashes if he wanted to.

Onew smiled and raised his hand to ruffle Kai's hair. "Thanks Jonginnie, I really appreciate the compliment. I watched your stage too. The solo stage I mean. Whenever I watch you dance I get the impression that you would be a great actor, your facial expressions are really out of this world. You're a really amazing dancer."

Well, that was it. If Kai somehow managed not to get a heart attack up until now, he was definitely having one right at this moment. He lowered his head and looked away blushing furiously and that's when he noticed Taemin. Or something that looked like Taemin, Jongin couldn't really tell because it was his first time seeing such an ugly expression on his friend's face.

Oh, right. Taemin was also a main dancer in his group, he probably didn't feel that great about hearing his leader complimenting someone else's skills.

Jongin tucked a loose strand of hair behind his ear and laughed trying to save the situation. "Thank you so much hyung. But Taemin's an awesome dancer too. I don't think I'm at his level just yet."

Onew smiled warmly in Taemin's direction. "You're right, Taeminnie's an amazing dancer, I can never get tired of watching him perform. He's really hardworking too, there are times where we get some spare time for ourselves and he still goes to the practice room to perfect his moves. That's really admirable. As his hyung I worry about him and I'd rather he rested for a bit but at the same time he makes me really proud. I really couldn't ask for a better maknae."

Kai exhaled dreamily, Onew was talking with so much love in his eyes it almost made him jealous the words weren't directed at him. He turned around to see if Taemin was still upset after hearing his hyung's praises but got surprised when his friend was still looking somewhat different than what he was used to seeing. He was blushing a bit and his eyes were slightly glossy and there was that small, shy smile stretched across his face.

Gross.

 

 

 

 

Kai stared at the screen of his phone wondering for what seemed like a 100th time if he should tell Taemin how he felt. He wanted Jinki to be the first person to know but at the same time Taemin was his best friend and he deserved to know if he was going to confess to his leader and quite possibly make things awkward. 

Having made up his mind he held his breath and picked Taemin's number from the list.

"What's up?"

Jongin squeled. 'Y-you answered really fast, I wasn't ready yet."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Uh... I needed to prepare myself mentally because um, I wanted to tell you s-something. Uh-" Damn it he was strating to get nervous. Talking about your feelings really wasn't an easy task.

"...Okay? So what is that thing you wanted to tell me? Is something wrong?"

It was now or never. He squeezed his eyes shut, took a deep breath and blurted out. "I like Jinki hyung."

The other side of the line became totally quiet. It lasted a few minutes and Jongin had to check a few times if Taemin had hung up on him or something. But he didn't.

"Uh.. Taemin, a-are you there?"

"I like him too."

Kai's brows furrowed in confusion. "Uh, are you trying to make fun of me for liking him? Or is this supposed to be a joke, because this really is not funny."

"Why would I make a joke like this? I like him, that's all there is to it."

It was Kai's turn to become completely quiet for a few minutes.

"If... If you really do like him then why didn't you tell me? I thought we had no secrets, that we told each other everything."

Taemin sighed sadly. "Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you I just... When I first noticed I was totally freaking out, I thought I had to suppress those feelings no matter what and I was terrified of anyone finding out. Then, it just kind of became natural to me, it was a part of me that I accepted and I stopped thinking about it so obviously it didn't feel like those 'big news' I had to tell you about."

Though Kai was quite upset his best friend kept quiet about something this important he could kind of understand him. It also must have really to go through something like this alone.

"Did... did you confess to him?"

Taemin sighed one more time. "I didn't."

Kai nodded in understanding and bit his bottom lip. "Taem I... I'm going to confess to him."

"What?!" Taemin's voice was about 2 octaves higher and a few decibels louder than would be safe for Jongin's ear.

"Listen, I don't know why you didn't tell him how you felt and that's totally up to you and I'm not going to judge. But I want to give it a shot, this is my first time feeling this way about someone and I want to give it my best. I'm sorry."

"W-wait, c-come on Jongin don't be like this." 

Taemin was absolutely horrified at that moment. What if Jinki said yes to Jongin? He needed to make sure he was going to be the first one to confess but at the same time he wasn't ready, he couldn't just go and confess something he'd been bottling up for so long, he just wasn't ready to take that step.

"Please, I'm begging you Jongin, don't tell him, not now. Can you wait a bit? M-maybe a few months? Or weeks, I don't know just don't tell him now. P-please."

Kai exhaled and ran a hand through his hair. "A few months is not an option but... I guess I can wait a couple of weeks. Note that I'm doing this because I love you so much. Also not confessing doesn't mean I won't make a move on him so take that into consideration."

"O-okay," Taemin swallowed hard and grabbed his furiously beating heart trying to calm himself down.

"Taem.."

"Yeah?"

"I'm really going to give it my all."

.

.

.

"I know."

 

 

 

 


So that's it for the first chapter! What do you guys think? Please leave some comments, I really appreciate them a lot ^^