Baby Good Night

Somebody to Love

Chapter 5 - Baby Good Night

I tried my best not to nod off during the remainder of the photo shoot but I was unsuccessful. It had been a long, stressful day and I was at my limit. Before I knew it, my eyes closed and I leaned my head against the wall, falling fast asleep. I don't know how long I was out, but I felt a presence standing in front of me. I slowly opened my eyes and saw TOP glaring down at me.

"Sleeping on the job, already?" he questioned with a scowl.

"Ah. I'm sorry. I just was..."

He cut me off, "Let's go."

I wiped the sleep from my eyes and followed him out of the building. I smiled at the receptionist and she held up her coffee cup with a nod of thanks. I dragged my feet as we headed to the car. I unlocked the doors and headed towards the drivers side with a yawn.

I felt a hand on my wrist stopping me from opening the door, "What do you think you're doing?" TOP stared at me as if I had committed some kind of crime.

Drowsily I replied, "Driving you to your next schedule."

"I don't have another schedule today." He said matter-of-factly.

I amended my previous statement. "Then driving you back to YG."

"No you're not."

I was tired of arguing. "Fine. I'll flag down a taxi."

"You won't be doing that either. Get in the car...on the passenger's side." He pulled me by my wrist, opened the passenger side door and all but shoved me in the car. He closed the door and made his way to the driver's seat.

"I'm supposed to be your driver. I'm sure you're more tired than I am."

"Perhaps, but lack of sleep is part of my routine. I imagine you've never pulled an all-nighter in your life."

"What if you get into an accident? I will be the one who is blamed."

"If I let you drive, we're sure to get into an accident. Buckle up."

I was too tired to object so I did as he asked. As we drove back to the YG office, I must have fallen asleep again. When I woke up, the car was parked in the underground garage, the driver's seat was empty and I was alone. Where did he go? Why didn't he wake me? I quickly gathered my wits and swiftly ran into the building. Dread filled my stomach. I assumed that the CEO would find out and I would be in trouble. I turned the corner and nearly bumped into G Dragon.

"The princess awakes." He said with a smile.

I offered an awkward smile, "I need to find TOP to apologize."

"I doubt there's any need. He already talked to the CEO."

"Oh no..." my heart dropped.

G Dragon laughed, "Don't worry. He covered for you. TOP told the CEO that you were running a personal errand." I couldn't understand why he would cover for me. Didn't he hate me? Or maybe he wanted me to owe him. Yes, I was sure that was the reason.

"Well, I have to get back to the studio. You should freshen up," he placed his hand on my shoulder, "Oh, and Teddy was looking for you."

"Thank you." I smiled and walked to the elevator. As I rode the elevator to the third floor my shoulder still felt tingly and warm where G Dragon's hand was. I placed a hand on my cheek and could tell from the heat that I was flushed. My heart was beating fast. I wanted to run back and wrap my arms around him, but I knew it was impossible.

I walked into Teddy's studio office. "You asked for me?"

"Ha Na!" He spun around in his chair and faced me.

"I'm sorry about everything. I wasn't expecting to be assigned to TOP."

"The CEO already explained everything to me. It's completely understandable; however, you are still my intern."

"Pardon?" I wasn't sure what he was getting at.

"When you are done helping TOP, I'd like for you to dedicate your time to producing with me. Your first assignment is to write a song. Please present it to me by the end of the week. In the meantime, when you're not managing TOP, I want you to shadow me." It was Wednesday. The week was almost over. I am sure panic fluttered over my face, but I knew this was a non-negotiable test.

"Yes sir."

He handed me a data stick. "Bring this to the CEO. He's expecting it and I have other matters to tend to." He motioned at his computer and I could see the editing software on the screen. He must work on a ton of different songs at once.

Back at the elevator, I pressed the button to go up. When the doors opened, TOP was standing there, expressionless. I wished the elevator had been full so that I had an excuse to wait for the next one, but that wasn't the case. I slinked past the door and stood silently next to TOP.

"How was your nap?" He asked sardonically.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I questioned.

"I offer your a favor and that is your response?" So I would be expected to repay him after all.

"Yes...I mean no...I mean, I just don't understand."

"There's nothing to understand. You were asleep and I took the opportunity to avoid being annoyed by you."

"Heh..." I rolled my eyes. "Well, at least you're consistent."

He looked at me quizzically. "Consistent about what?"

"Being rude. Just when I think you're being nice, you open your mouth and go too far."

"Rude? Watch your mouth, intern."

"Yes, yes. I know, if I keep this up, I'll lose my internship. That threat will only go so far." I looked at him sideways.

"I never said..." The statement seemed to catch him off guard.

"You've said it enough today, I just assumed that you would say it again."

"You shouldn't assume anything about me, Song Ha Na," it was the first time he used my name. "You should thank me for covering for you."

"Thank you." I said through gritted teeth.

The door opened on the elevator and we both stepped out. I went left and he went right. Part of me felt a bit bad for misunderstanding him, but he had started a trend with his bad temper so I couldn't totally be blamed for assuming the worst.

At the end of the hall was the CEO's office. I knocked once and heard Yang Hyun Suk tell me to come in. I opened the door and bowed. "Teddy asked that I bring you this." I held up the data stick.

He clasped his hands together, "Excellent. We're planning Akdong Musician's comeback after Bigbang. I was hoping Teddy would send up their recording." I loved Akdong Musician. I hadn't had a chance to meet them yet, but I really wanted to. I wish I would have had the chance to hear their new track.

I handed over the data stick, bowed once more and proceeded to leave his office.

Yang Hyun Suk snapped his fingers and I turned around quickly. "Ha Sung, how is it going so far?"

He totally got my name wrong, but I was too afraid to correct him. "It is going well, sir. I am helping TOP with his schedules and working with Teddy during my downtime."

"That's the spirit!" He gave me a thumbs up. "Dedication is the key to entering YG permanently. Keep up the good work. Fighting!"

I bowed once more and left his office. It seemed like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. My life was split into two stressful situations: managing and producing. I prayed I would have the stamina to do well at both jobs. I looked at my watch. It was already 8 p.m. I slung my purse over my shoulder and headed towards the doors to go home.

"Hey, intern." I spun around and saw TOP leaning against the vacant reception desk. "Get lots of rest tomorrow. We have a full day. See you at 6 a.m." He walked away before I could respond. I was dreading the thought of getting up that early to make it to work by 6.

The walk home was slow and uneventful. I let myself into the dorm and found Eun Ji watching dramas and eating ramyun and kimchi.

"Hey, Ha Na! Grab a pair of chopsticks. We can split dinner." She flashed me a genuine grin. I did ask she asked and plopped down next to her on the couch.

When she was done eating, she turned towards me, "Still want to go for drinks?"

I slumped on the couch. "I wish. I have to be up early so I can pick up TOP for his schedules."

"I actually get to sleep in tomorrow." She said with a smug look on her face.

"Lucky." I nudged her playfully. "I guess I should get to bed. The tyrant will have my head if I'm late because I slept in."

"Okay," she seemed a bit bummed out.

"I'll bring home dinner tomorrow." I said to make it up to her.

"Chicken and beer?" She said with wide eyes and excitement.

"Of course!" It sounded like a great suggestion for dinner. I stood up and made my way to the bedroom. Pulling my cell out of my pocket, I set my alarm for 5 a.m. I climbed the ladder to the top bunk and flopped face down into my pillow. I think it took me less than 3 minutes to fall asleep. It was the first night I saw TOP in my dreams.