Snow

Knock Things Over

 

Suzy put her pencil down. Woot woot, in the ten minutes since Myungsoo left, she sped through and finished all of her science and math homework. Too bad she didn’t have time to read the DBSK magazine. Just then, the detention teacher walked back in. 4:59, right on time.

“Alright you guys can-….hey where did the other kid go?”

Suzy shrugged. “Actually, I don’t think he had detention. He just came to talk to- I mean, to do his homework. And he left ten minutes ago.”

The teacher didn’t seem to pay attention. “Okay, detention’s over. You can go home.”

 

There must be something about Myungsoo’s presence that always entranced her. As she walked down the hallways, she realized, again too late, that she didn’t ask Myungsoo why he ignored her half the time. It was strange. He only seemed to open up and talk to her when-

She gasped. She was passing by a window in the building and there was pure, glistening whiteness everywhere. Since the morning, a thick, fluffy layer of clean snow had fallen and covered the ground. Having been inside classrooms all day, Suzy hadn’t realized it snowed so much. The courtyard of the school looked deserted, not a single student in sight. She raced down the stairs and stepped outside. So peaceful, for once. She took in a deep breath, breathing in fresh, crisp air. The snow-covered building and trees were so beautiful and the calm, free air gave her an inexplicable joy. It gave her the urge to jump and skip around, and feel the freedom and joy of winter. And so she did.

While skipping through the courtyard, realizing she looked like a freak but not caring, she thought about how magical Christmas season was. She loved walking down the streets and seeing trees covered in twinkling Christmas lights and seeing bright, welcoming Christmas trees glowing from windows of houses. It was too bad her own parents refused to buy new lights and an extension cord so she could decorate her own front yard.

She stopped skipping for a moment to catch her breath, her lungs stinging from the sharp, cold air. Her breath sounded harsh and loud against the quiet stillness of the courtyard.

But she heard something else in the background. Laughter.

She whipped her head around and there was Myungsoo. The sight of him walking towards her surprised her, and she took a step backwards. Her boots stuck in the snow. She wobbled for a moment that seemed like forever, and then toppled onto her back. And just lay there in the fluffy snow, not bothering to get back up.

How embarrassing…Well at least now they’re even.

Myungsoo jogged over and plopped down next to her. He was still laughing.

“Yah! Stop laughing!” she pouted. He didn’t even ask if she was okay. “Why are you back here anyways? I thought you left!”

When his laughing died down, he replied “Sorry I didn’t know this school was your property. I did leave, but I accidentally left something in my locker. And then I saw you…” He threw his head back, laughing again. Then he lied down in the snow and started moving his arms and legs back and forth.

She stared at him, not bothering to close this time. Snow angels??? Was this really the same poker-face “ice prince” that swept girls off their feet with his cool, mysteriousness??

Now she started laughing, “What are you? A five-year old?”

He kept making his snow angel. “Mmm. Says the girl who was running around and skipping in circles for no apparent reason.”

“Touché” she replied, leaning back down and starting to make her own snow angel for the first time in years.

“Honestly,” he continued,  “I could practically hear the birds and squirrels and all the little forest creatures coming out and singing along, like in Disney movies.”

She laughed. A loud, real, and probably not very girl-ish laugh. She didn’t care. Right now, he made her feel care-free and happy.

“If only. It’s too bad though - if I sang along, I would kill all those little birds and squirrels. My singing sounds like dying kittens.”

She turned her head to look at him, in time to see his dazzling smile. It warmed her heart and it warmed her body so she could no longer feel the stinging coldness seeping through her clothes.

“How about you sing? Cmon, I want to hear you sing” she asked.

“Omo!” He stopped making the snow angel and jumped up, making snow fly everywhere.

She blinked up at him. Jesus, his movements were so sudden sometimes.

“I completely forgot! I’m supposed to be at vocal practice! Don’t tell anyone I was here, alright? Anyong, Suzy!” He ran off, drenched in melting snow. Leaving her sitting there staring at him for the millionth time. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi~ Thank you for reading ^^ Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas (in two days) everyone! Haha, the gif is really Myungsoo (again).