Just Dance

Knock Things Over

 

Friday after school, Suzy didn’t have dance practice. But there was a particular move from their routine that she couldn’t get down. She decided to take advantage of the empty dance room after school. Her mind was full of thoughts of Myungsoo, and it only aggravated her. Why was he so strange? Like he had two personas.

As soon as she walked into the huge empty dance room, however, she was calmed and all thoughts of him disappeared. The feeling of freedom in that room, where she could relieve any stress and dance out her emotions. She started freestyling to the beats of the music, dancing around the room, relieving the stress of school, of thoughts of Myungsoo, of everything. Then she moved onto practicing the dance team’s choreography. That freaking scorpion move. It made her angry, seeing everyone else on the team learn it quickly and almost effortlessly. They’ve been dancing for many more years than her, but she practiced hard to keep up. Even though their technical skill was higher, her passion and love for dancing was deeper. She tried the move again and again, only ending up falling on her stomach again.

As she lay there, trying to regain her strength, she felt something was off. There was a presence in the air. Tired, she rolled over to her back and lay there for a second longer. She tilted her head so she could see the mirror stretching across the wall, reflecting the entire room.

Two glistening eyes staring at her from the corner. She sat up quickly, her fatigue almost entirely gone. Myungsoo. Standing in the corner by the door. What was this? How long had he been there? This time, it was his turn to apologize. He walked over to her.

“Sorry” he muttered sheepishly.

“What are you doing here?” She was surprised and confused. He didn’t seem like much of a dancer to her, as awkward as he seemed.

“Actually, I thought the room would be empty. But then I saw you here practicing the scorpion move… Don’t worry, I haven’t been here long!” He quickly added.

“Oh,” was all she could think of. It was such a strange situation; she wasn’t sure what to say.  “You dance?”

“Well I didn’t before…” He looked around, as if surveying the area. But he didn’t say anything more.

She suddenly realized. “Oh…the rumors are true then? Have you been recruited as a trainee for some kpop idol group?” she asked cautiously.

He smiled slowly. “Yeah” he finally admits, “but… I’m not very good at dancing. And that scorpion move. I can’t get it. Maybe…you can help me”

Her breath caught at his smile. It was adorable. And suddenly there he was again. The shyly smiling and friendly Myungsoo from that second week of high school. The cute one from the coffee shop.

“Oh, but I can’t do it either. Didn’t you see me failing just now? We can practice together though.”

An hour later of dancing, they both sat on the floor, tired and sweaty, but both improved. They both had bruises, especially Myungsoo, from falling so many times. But Suzy was satisfied, and she felt Myungsoo was too, with their improvement. She had been burning to ask him about his behavior at photography club since the beginning of their dance session. About why he refused to even look at her, let alone talk to her. She opened to ask now. Suddenly he jumped up as he looked at his watch.

“Oh! I have to go now. Thanks for helping me, Suzy! Anyong!” He practically ran out of the door, before she could even say a word.

She was left sitting in the middle of the dance room, with still open as he ran off.