Knock (More) Things Over

Knock Things Over

 

Monday, starting off a new week…with detention. Well, even after three years of high school, Suzy hadn’t learned how to drag herself out of bed early enough to get to class. She was late at least once a week, landing her in detention about twice a month. She didn’t really mind going to detention, because she could actually finish her homework and go home to relax. Besides, the supervising teacher usually left the room so she could do whatever she wanted.

She walked into the empty room, said hello to the teacher, and plopped down her books on a table. She had just bought a new magazine she wanted to read, but she had to wait for the teacher to leave first, so she covered it with her science textbook. As she started reading something about the biology of turtles, another student walked in. A student wearing a plaid shirt and a fedora. Suzy suddenly lost interest in the turtles. She felt a smile crawl across her face as she gave him a small wave. Myungsoo nodded back, and then walked right past her desk and sat in the opposite corner of the room. “Wonderful, so I guess he’s not talking again. What is with this boy…” she thought, and went back to reading about turtles. Jesus, at least turtles didn’t have bipolar personalities. And they’re awkward and cute, too.

“Alright, no talking and homework only. I’ll be right back,” the teacher instructed them as he left the room.

Suzy knew he wouldn’t be coming back anytime soon, as always. Yippee, free time. She was itching to pull out the magazine from under the textbook, but first she glanced up towards Myungoo’s corner. Myungsoo was staring straight back at her, with those warm eyes, but an unreadable face. They both quickly looked away. It was so dreadfully quiet. “Well this is awkward…” Suzy thought as she put her eyes back on the textbook and tried to read again, with no success. She could only stare at the words and pretend to read, and she had a feeling he was looking at her again. She didn’t even know what to think. Why was he even staring? She heard his chair dragging across the floor as he pushed it away, stood up, and walked across the empty room in her direction. She kept her eyes on the book as she felt her face heat up. Thud thud thud. Her heartbeat seemed audible as it sped up more and more…it was so embarrassing. Thud. Thud. “Oh god I must have a heart disorder. Please stop that, heart.” She finally peeled her eyes away from the book in time to see him set down a bright red Christmas cup on her desk. She looked up at Myungsoo, now standing in front of her desk with a small, but kind smile. She raised her eyebrows, confused.

“White chocolate mocha, right?” he asked.

“What. For me? But, but, why?” she stammered. It was all so random. She had never even seen him in detention before. And he bought her favorite drink too?

He explained as he sat down next to her, “A thank you and an apology. Do you remember freshman year? You were late to class because you helped a clumsy guy with his books. And you ended up getting the detention, not me.

And I’ve been feeling guilty for…well obviously, quite a while now. It’s about time I made it up to you. And you helped me with dance, so thanks for that too.”

Suzy realized was slightly open. She closed it now as she cleared . “Ahem. Uhh…” She was still confused with his random appearances and sudden changes of personality, but replied “Thank you for the drink, but I didn’t really do anything. And I get detentions all the time. You didn’t have to…”

“It’s no problem,” he chuckled, “and it’s not fair that you should suffer alone in detention”

His smile made her smile. She couldn’t get over how gorgeous he was, especially when he broke into that smile. It made her temporarily forget his bipolar personality and that annoying I-think-I’ll-ignore-Suzy part of him.

He was sitting so close to her desk, and especially up close, it was almost overwhelming how perfect this boy was – his hair, his eye-smile, dimples, everything. And she could smell a sweet coffee-like aroma, not sure whether it was wafting from the mocha or from Myungsoo. God, she loved the scent, it was amazing. She unknowingly shifted and leaned closer towards him.

“Well first, I don’t really mind detention. I’m used to it. And second…wow, thank you, really! White chocolate mochas are my favorite-“

“I know” he quickly replied.

She stared at him. What the-

“Oh, you drink them a lot in class… don’t you? And you had one at the coffee shop” he explained.

She felt warm fuzziness spreading through her body. She was touched. He actually noticed a little thing like that? She began to wonder, maybe he hadn’t been ignoring her as much as she thought. She took a sip of the still-warm mocha. Mmmm, heavenly.

“I guess I’ll go back and work on homework. This is supposed to be a punishment, after all,” he said as he stood up.

As he walked past her desk, his foot suddenly slipped.

*THUD* As he fell, he bumped into her desk, knocking her things over.

She was surprised and just looked at him in amazement and amusement. “….AGAIN??” she thought, holding back her laughter. “Myungsoo, are you alright??” she asked.

He stood up quickly. “Yeah, yeah, don’t worry I’m fine” His shoulders shook as he chuckled quietly at himself. He picked up her books and saw a glimpse of her magazine.

“Hey! I’ve been wanting to read this magazine!” He pulled it out from underneath her textbook and put it on her desk.

It was DBSK.

“Oh! DBSK, you like them, too?” she smiled, amused that he might be a DBSK-fanboy.

“Definitely. They’re so talented. I really look up to them”

“AH DBSK’s my favorite group. They’re simply amazing. What’s your favorite song?”

“Aish… that’s impossible, I like all of them. Forever Love maybe?”

“That’s true, all their songs are incredible. But hey, aren’t you going to be an idol soon? You’ll get to meet them at music shows and stuff”

He nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah, I hope so! I would love to meet my inspirations. Hopefully they don’t look down on rookies like me”

“I don’t think they would, I believe they’re all really nice people…Oh, if you ever meet them and get the chance, do you think you can get me an autograph?”

“Of course!” he laughed, “I’d even get one for myself, if that’s allowed among idols…”

“So are you excited to debut? To become a…a…celebrity? she practically whispered the last word as she leaned in more.

“Yes! I really can’t believe it. This is like a dream come true…” But then his smile faded a little and he looked down at the ground, “but being a trainee can be…difficult”

She nodded, understandingly, “Mm I’m sure it’s hard work. On top of all this schoolwork they’re trying to drown us in!”

“No, it’s not that,” he replied, shaking his head. He then lifted his eyes and looked at her. Stared straight through her soul it seemed. His eyes were glistening as if searching, longing for something. His small smile had a hint of sorrow. “Let’s just say…sometimes we have to give up the things we want, the things we need, and the things we love.”

“Oh” Suzy mouthed silently, not sure what to say to that. It did sound like quite a trade-off.

“Don’t look so sad. It happens to everyone sometimes, not just trainees. Besides, I chose it and it’s still a dream come true.” His smile returned, even bigger than before, showing off the adorable dimples she loved. “Anyways, I guess I didn’t get any homework done, but I gotta go.”

And with that, he strode out just as suddenly as he had walked in. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, are there actually people out there reading this? If there is, thank you! Sorry I don't update regularly, but I have more free time now so theres shall be more dorky/gorgeous Myungsoo to come! (: And yes, that gif is really him.