Clumsy

Knock Things Over

 

She met him in ninth grade. It was only the second week of school, and Suzy had already gotten into a habit of running late to class because she liked snoozing her alarm clock about 25 times before finally dragging herself out of bed. Unfortunately, her locker was on the third floor. By the time she hustled up the flights of stairs, huffing and puffing, the hallways were empty. As she was grabbing her notebooks from her locker and getting ready to run to her first class, she saw a boy rush past her towards his own locker. BAM. Suzy jumped at the loud crash. She turned around, wide-eyed, and saw the boy on the floor, face turning slightly pink. She recognized him from her first period class. His plaid backpack was wide open and his books scattered all over the floor. Suzy debated for a second whether to rush off to class or stop and help him. She was already one tardy away from getting a detention, but she walked over to him. He peeked up at her from under his bangs with his dark and glistening eyes. A look that made her heart skip a beat then start beating like crazy. Woah where did that come from? It was such a fierce look, but there was something in his eyes. A glimmer, a warmth that she couldn’t quite describe.

 “Hey are you alright? Did you slip or something?” she asked.

 He remained silent for a moment. “Uhm.. yeah, but I’m fine,” he replied, looking down. He quickly stood up and brushed off his plaid shirt, quietly chuckling at himself. She smiled to herself when she noticed he had dimples when he smiled. While he put everything back in his bag, she picked up a book that had flung a few feet away.

“Thanks” he muttered quietly as the tardy bell rang. “And sorry that you’re late now”

She laughed softly. “Ah well… I didn’t’ think either of us were gonna make it anyways. Let’s go to class. I’m Suzy by the way.”

 “Myungsoo” he nodded curtly. They walked off together, in a slightly awkward silence.

They strolled into class five minutes later and Suzy got her detention. She sighed and Myungsoo gave her a look of apology.

 

For the rest of the year, she hardly got to talk to him again. He was a quiet boy, but a handsome one. She’ll admit it, although she didn't fall easily for boys, Myungsoo seemed, well, different. She felt a warm, fuzzy feeling wash over whenever she saw him or thought of him. But she brushed it aside. She really just wanted to know him. He seems like such an interesting, strange person. He was a wallflower - one that stood aside and observed. No one notices a wallflower. Only Suzy. Unfortunately, she couldn’t talk about him to anyone for no one seemed to know him. “Myungsoo?” “Who’s that?” “The quiet boy in the back of the class?” “He seems kind of cold.” She was tired of the responses, so Suzy just kept it to herself. She passed by him in the hallways from time to time, and she tried to catch his eye, give him a smile. She wanted to see him smile that dimply smile at her again, but to no avail. He would only look straight ahead, or look down. She couldn’t tell if he was a rude, cold person or just plain shy. She decided to believe the latter, remembering his shy smile and look of embarrassment that day he fell. And the warmth in his eyes - something that still made her heart flutter whenever she thought about it. It was frustrating.

 

Still, she couldn’t help but notice his little quirks. How he would always wear plaid shirts of the same pattern, but different colors. His obsession with hats, also of the same style but in different colors. The way he would unknowingly stick his tongue out during random moments, as if taunting her. How he always quietly sips his water bottle during class (he drank lots of water). And there was something about his straight face. He had a pokerface a lot of the time, but since she was the only one taking notice of the wallflower, she saw him crack into a smile enough times to assure her he wasn’t truly a cold, hard person. Perhaps he was a little cold, but he was so strange and quirky it was really quite….cute.