Chapter 1

Sacrifice ~ 3rd Arc of Cursed Series~

Chapter 1

“Noooooo!!!” suddenly a broken cry echoed inside the vast room as the stones reflected the deafening sound. It was enough for four people who scattered around in stoned-tunnels to assemble. They’re still in the cave because it’s still the best place to hide from the archangel and where the Demon King’s power was weakest.

“Hyung! What’s wrong?” Junsu was the first to arrive. He could saw his older brother sobbing. It felt like forever---the waiting---Junsu thought Jaejoong wouldn’t open his eyes ever again.

“You scared the hell of us fainting like that!” Yoochun joined soon enough,” Wait, why are you crying?”

“Are you okay, hyung?” Changmin followed as he kneeled next to Yunho, who’s holding sobbing Jaejoong. It was pure reflect, really; Jaejoong buried his face on the nearest person’s shoulder he could find. The memories were too much to take on; it’s killing him inside.

“Shhh, it’s okay, Jaejoong ah,” Yunho made a circle on Jaejoong’s back like he did long time ago,” It’s okay, I’m here. All of us are here…Please don’t cry…”

“I---I didn’t mean--- I’m so sorry---“ Jaejoong stumbled upon his words as Yunho wiped his tears,”…How long was I out?”

“Few hours,” Yoochun answered as they sat on circle, comforting Jaejoong,” Did you have a nightmare?”

“I…I remembered everything,” Jaejoong finally said as the rest of the gasped,” I’m so sorry, Chunnie…I didn’t mean to kill Yoohwan---I’m sorry Junsu, I didn’t mean to kill Junho---For God’s sake, I didn’t mean to kill every person in our Empire…”

“Jae, remembered what Junsu said before,” Yunho said,” It’s not you who did those terrible things.”

“True!” Junsu didn’t know why he’s agreeing with Yunho at this,” You won’t even kill a fly, hyung.”

Jaejoong took a deep breath as he wiped his remaining tears. He had to be strong so he wouldn’t make the same mistake again. Jaejoong told himself he couldn’t change the past but the future was another thing. That moment, he promised himself to not ever hurt any person he held dear again or even innocent person; no matter what the prince was.

“I’m sorry for worrying all of you. I’m okay now, I’m actually glad I remember everything now,” Jaejoong spoke,” At least I’m no longer ignorant for the things that happened. I know you all said it’s not on me but I was weak enough to let it took over. I won’t make the same mistake again and that’s why we need to find the Hell Gate soon. Yunho, if you may…”

“Okay,” Yunho got out the clue box for finding Hell Gate. He chanted some spell until the box opened itself.  It’s more like bunch paper of scrabbling, a wing-shaped pendant, and a round creepy device like compass. Junsu frowned as he touched the pendant, only to have his finger burnt.

“Junsu! Don’t touch that,” Yunho said almost too loud as Junsu flinched; Yunho never raised his voice on Junsu before,” I’m sorry---I didn’t mean---…that pendant is filled with angel chants. It’ll burn us and drain our power if we touch it. But we can use it to our advantage, if Jaejoong wears it, it’ll weaken the Demon King’s power and slower the awakening.”

“Yunho hyung is just worried about you, Junsu,” Yoochun put his hand on Junsu’s hair as the younger one nodded. Pouting a bit before gave Yunho his mischievous tongue. It caused Yunho to frown and Jaejoong to smile. Taking the pendant, Jaejoong put it around his neck as he felt a lot easier to breathe.

“Is that a compass, hyung?” Changmin asked curiously as he pointed to the spoken object; he was a lot careful than Junsu for sure, all of them noted.

“It’s not just a normal compass, it’s cursed,” Yunho spoke as he took the thing on his palm; the rest shivered for unknown reason,” Once there’s a treasure hunter who rumored to have supernatural power because he always found treasures he sought. Yet, the secret is this compass. It’ll point to anything the holder wants so we can use it to find the Hell Gate.”

“Okay, so why did that treasure hunter give the compass to you, hyung? Did you kill him?” Changmin’s teasingly asked as Junsu almost flinched at the thought. The rest could read the youngest one was joking.

“He died terribly and the compass had been moving around from one person to another. I was lucky to get it,” Yunho explained,” There’s a reason why this compass is cursed. It’ll drive the holder mad with anxiety and greed of searching things beyond reason and eventually die painfully.”

“But it’s okay if we use it, right? I mean, we’re cursed too,” Junsu asked making sure.

“Let me try holding it,” Jaejoong suddenly spoke before Yunho could answer Junsu’s question. Yunho gave the compass and Jaejoong began to feel strange feeling inside him. He thought one thing at that time and the compass pointed at Changmin.

“Did you just think of food, Jaejoong?” Yoochun asked in amused tone as Jaejoong nodded shyly. He was hungry and he couldn’t think of anything besides food.

“I---I was holding this for later on, but you can have some if you want, hyung,” Changmin tried to keep his cool as he pulled out a pack of potato chip. Junsu had no idea where and how Changmin hid it so well, even he couldn’t smell it before.

“Thank you,” Jaejoong took the chip as he gave the compass back to Yunho,” I don’t have any idea why I’m starving so suddenly.”

“Well, the pendant I gave you might have some side effect. It’s different for everyone,” Yunho explained.

“So, Jaejoong will turn like this food monster?” Junsu asked as Changmin protested.

“Okay, enough bickering you two,” Yoochun finally spoke,” Back to the compass, if it works out as easily as that, why haven’t you find the Hell Gate, hyung?”

“I tried, okay,” Yunho sighed,” It took me years to figure this. It works to find things we’re familiar with. As you can see, Jaejoong can find the hidden food in Changmin’s pocket because Jaejoong is familiar with potato chips. I’ve never seen or touched Hell Gate so I have no idea how it’s shaped or look like.”

“So you’re thinking to make Jaejoong uses it because the Demon King inside of him is familiar with Hell Gate?” Yoochun confirmed as Yunho nodded,” Then why didn’t you come to find us as soon as you figure it out?”

“It was ten years ago I figured everything out. I tried to find all of you but I couldn’t. I even used the compass until it almost drove me crazy but I couldn’t. I think the Demon King somehow prevented it until his awakening is near, like now,” Yunho finished his explanation.

“So all I need to do is hold the compass, right?” Jaejoong took the compass and it pointed to Changmin again; he immediately tried to find an excuse,” Ummm, I don’t think the chips fill me up. I’m still starving---Oh! Maybe because we’re in this cave and the Demon King is weak here, right?”

“Yeah, hyung. I get it,” Changmin sighed as he took a chocolate bar from his other pocket and gave it to Jaejoong,” This’s the last one hyung. All my pockets are empty now.”

Jaejoong bit his lips as he thanked Changmin. For the first time, Junsu was definitely sure Changmin was their half-brother; the starving gene didn’t lie. Yoochun nodded in agreement with Junsu’s thought---he didn’t even know why he figured what’s going on Junsu’s mind. Yunho just stared amusedly at Jaejoong.

“We better get ready to leave soon. It’s almost morning,” Yoochun spoke up,” We can grasp some breakfast first somewhere along the way to find the Hell Gate.”

“That’s if the compass works, I can’t promise it’ll,” Yunho reminded.

“I’m pretty sure it’ll,” Changmin suddenly spoke,” Jaejoong hyung never took my food no matter how hungry he’s. Yet, he just did, it might be the Demon King starving inside Jaejoong hyung.”

“Yaaaa! Shim Changmin,” Jaejoong protested,” Junsu, back me up, please?”

“Hyung, for once I agree with Changmin on this,” Junsu gave Jaejoong his apologetic smile,”Hyung always ask me if I want some when hyung has food. But hyung just swallowed both the chips and chocolate alone.”

“Fine,” Jaejoong sighed,” I deserve to be bullied after all the horrible things I’ve done to all of you!”

“No, Jae---They’re just kidding, please don’t be upset,” Yunho suddenly grew worried,” You saved me, Jaejoong and all of them. Please don’t say such thing. You never know how warm you make me feel.”

“Is that a confession I’m hearing, hyung?” Junsu teased.

“Enough, all of you!” Jaejoong couldn’t keep his act anymore; he didn’t know why Yunho was too easily fooled by him; though it somehow warmed his heart. They got each other and knew what they’re against this time. They just hoped their plan worked and everything wouldn’t end in blood like last time.