Renegades

Oxycontin, Cigarettes, and Sunflowers

 

    “Kyungsoo,” Seulgi says, peeking her head into one of the rooms, “someone’s here to see you.” Kyungsoo pauses from hanging the IV, giving a confused look to which Seulgi only shrugs to and pops back out to let Kyungsoo hang the bag. He walks out, pulling off his gloves and putting some sanitizer on his hands and heads to the main desk in the ICU.

    Sehun has his back to him, looking at a board with different procedures on it. Kyungsoo clears his throat and Sehun spins around. “Hey.”

    Kyungsoo gives an awkward wave as Sehun shoves his hands into his pockets. “How did you get back here?” Kyungsoo asks and Sehun shrugs.

    “The receptionist and I go way back,” he explains shortly and Kyungsoo nods his head slowly.

    “Well, do you need anything? Is Jongin okay?” Kyungsoo starts listing off the reasons as to why he’s so graced with Sehun’s presence.

    “Thought we could go out to lunch.”

    Kyungsoo eyes Sehun. “Why?”

    He lets out a laugh. “Do I need a reason to take out an old friend?”

    “Yes, because we’re not friends,” Kyungsoo answers. Sehun mocks a sad face and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “Did Jongin put you up to this?” Sehun doesn’t answer so Kyungsoo takes it as a yes. “Listen, you can go back home and tell him that we went out to eat and I’ll tell him we’re great friends now. We really don’t have to do this.”

    Sehun shakes his head. “No can do. I promised him I would take you out.”

    “Since when have you kept promises?” Kyungsoo asks coldly and Sehun actually looks hurt for a second. Kyungsoo shakes his head and turns to Seulgi. “I’m going on lunch break. If Baekhyun comes up, tell him I’ve been kidnapped.”

    

    They go to the small restaurant inside the hospital that’s open to the public and they order their food sit down at a table that’s located in the back corner.

“So-”

“We don’t have to talk,” Kyungsoo interrupts. He grabs a pair of wooden chopstick at the end of the table and breaks them apart. “I know Jongin asked you to do this, but I think he’ll take me agreeing to go out to lunch as victory enough.”

Sehun lets out a sigh and takes a pair of chopsticks of his own. “Look, I’m really trying to make it up to Jongin for all the times-”

“That you were sleeping with someone else?” Kyungsoo finishes and Sehun freezes. “Trust me, Sehun. Jongin may have been too naive to see it, but I wasn’t. That’s all my parents’ relationship was.”

“I love him, Kyungsoo. I really want to fix things and make them work with him. I forgot how happy I was when I was around him.”

“So then what happens when you leave again because you found another one that makes you happy? You’d leave and he’d….find other ways to make up for you absence.” Kyungsoo is treading in dangerous territory. He wants nothing more than for Jongin and Sehun to break up so that Jongin would be all his, but he doesn’t want to be the reason they do.

“Find another way?” Sehun asks with a joking tone. He nods, stabbing his chopsticks into his food. “Like what, sleep with other girls? And when no girls were around, he’d you.” Sehun leaves the utensils sticking up as he stares at Kyungsoo. “You weren’t his first choice, or even his second. So acting like you were even a character in his story.”

Kyungsoo sets down his chopsticks and juts out his lower jaw. He’s giving Sehun a cold glare before he stands up. “Thanks for lunch.”

He walks out of the restaurant and heads to the elevator where he punches the tenth floor to find Baekhyun. When the doors close, he can feel all of the emotions that were stuffed away for those few, unfavorable minutes with Sehun and he can feel tears start to well up in his eyes. He bites his fist to try and not cry. He starts to tap his foot in an attempt to take his concentration away from crying. When the number shows that he’s on the ninth floor, he tries his best to breath and push back the tears and when the doors open on the tenth, he’s about to step out when Baekhyun bumps into him.

“Oh, Kyungsoo. I was just about to get you-”

Kyungsoo loses it and bursts into tears on Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun seems surprised at first, but quickly presses the ground floor button and then keeps his finger on the close door so the doors won’t open until they’ve reached their floors.

“What happened?” Baekhyun asks, rubbing Kyungsoo’s back with his free hand. “Did Ms. Lee finally kick the can?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head and the tears wipe onto Baekhyun’s blue scrub top. Baekhyun lets out a sigh and pulls away from Kyungsoo to press the stop elevator button and pulls Kyungsoo down on the floor. “Start from the beginning.”

“Jongin asked S-Sehun to come take me for lunch,” Kyungsoo gets out. “And we started fighting about the past and he said that I shouldn’t even be involved because I was never part of that story.” Kyungsoo lets out a breathy laugh and wipes his nose on his sleeve. “Now that I’m saying it out loud, it sounds kind of stupid and true.”

Baekhyun shakes his head and pulls Kyungsoo into a side hug. “You’re a main character in that story, Kyungsoo. Don’t say that. If you weren’t there for Jongin, he’d probably be another druggie on the street who’s too high to even remember their name.”

“If I weren’t there for Jongin, I wouldn’t be sobbing in this elevator right now.”

“Yes, but we also wouldn’t be friends right now, because we wouldn’t have

bumped into each other and started talking about how stupid the people we love are.”

    Kyungsoo chortles and the phone in the elevator starts ringing. Baekhyun breaks away from their hug and reaches to pick it up. “Hello?”

    Kyungsoo can hear the other line asking them to please release the elevator because of some medical emergency and Baekhyun turns to Kyungsoo, rolls his eyes, and starts mocking the person on the other line. Kyungsoo can’t help but let out a small laugh when Baekhyun answers, “And people in hell need ice water” and hangs up the phone.

    Kyungsoo sniffles a few times and Baekhyun wraps his arm around him and rubs his arm. “Chin up, Kyungsoo. Without you, a lot of people would be lost.”

    Kyungsoo nods and wipes his eyes as Baekhyun stands up and lets the elevator start moving again. He helps Kyungsoo up. “Let’s go out tonight, okay?” he asks and Kyungsoo nods his head.

    “I should get back to my floor. My lunch break is over anyway,” Kyungsoo says and Baekhyun nods.

    “Looks like I’ll just go get food all by myself,” he jokes, pretending to pout and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. When the elevator doors open, Baekhyun steps out backwards and says, “Smile more. Crying doesn’t suit you.”


a/n so i had a three day weekend and i decided to take a break from writing and work on my mastery level on league (whoops ((someone play with me))) but don't worry i got this up before it turned into a four day break. 

i can't tell you guys how much it means to me that we've hit over 100 subs in the short time this has been out like holy I AM NOT WORTHY 

and your comments are all so cute and i never know how to reply so instead of replying i just send mental thank yous and replies and hope you all can hear them. 

THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS