Lead Me Out Of The Dark

Oxycontin, Cigarettes, and Sunflowers

    The blaring alarm wakes Kyungsoo up. He quickly slaps it to shut it up before taking a breath, rubbing his eyes, and sitting up. Today was they day Jongin was heading back home and even though Jongin said he would set an alarm, Kyungsoo knows from many rushed morning that nine out of ten times, Jongin doesn’t wake up from it. So Kyungsoo set his alarm earlier so that he could take a shower before Jongin and wake him up. He doesn’t want to move from the bed because that means that in a few hours, they’ll head off to the airport and drop Jongin off on his long flight back to another continent where he’ll live the rest of his life in peace and watching the Eiffel tower's shadow when the sun goes down.

    He swings his legs over and takes a hot shower before walking into Jongin’s room to turn off that alarm that’s screaming into Jongin’s ear, and harshly shoving him since that’s the only way to wake him up. His cast was taken off the day before and Kyungsoo tried to convince Jongin into taking a later flight so he can get used to not having a cast, but Jongin, being the stubborn kid he is, said no and says he’s fine.

    Jongin stirs awake and smiles tiredly at Kyungsoo whose heart squeezes in his chest. “It’s time to wake up,” Kyungsoo whispers and pushes some hair out of Jongin’s face.

    Jongin nods and stretches in his bed before pushing himself up. Kyungsoo backs away so he can stand up and watches as he grabs his towel and heads into the bathroom.

 

    At the airport, Kyungsoo helps Jongin find his gate and when they finally find it, he suddenly realizes that this is it. The few months that he had with Jongin are coming to an end and he can’t do anything to stop it. Jongin hikes his bag up on his shoulder and turns to Kyungsoo when they call for his plane.

    “This is me,” he says quietly and Kyungsoo looks down at his shoes before Jongin brings his head up and surprises him with a kiss. It’s soft and Kyungsoo is too surprised to enjoy it and Jongin pulls away too fast for him to kiss him back. “Thanks for everything, Dyo.”

    He Kyungsoo’s cheek and is about to walk away when Kyungsoo grabs his wrist and pulls him back in for another kiss, this time him actually being able to enjoy it. They call for Jongin’s plane again and Jongin pulls away first, smiles, and walks away. Kyungsoo can only watch him leave now.

 

Three months later

 

    Kyungsoo heard somewhere that airports see more sincere kisses than wedding halls and hospital walls hear more prayers the the walls of churches. He realizes this is true when he wakes up to a room full of white and equipment and Seulgi clasping her hands together as she rocks back and forth on her chair. When he moves around, her head shoots up in surprise and she quickly jumps up and grabs his hand.

    “Kyungsoo! Thank God!” There are tears in her eyes and Kyungsoo looks at her curiously.

    “What happened?” he asks, his voice hoarse from not speaking. “Where am I?”

    She looks sad and grabs her chair to move it closer to the bed. “You’re in the hospital. You overdosed on pain medication.”

    “Oh.” Kyungsoo rests his head back into the pillow.

    “I’m so sorry,” she says and Kyungsoo gives her a puzzled look. “I saw you taking pills from the cart and putting them in your pocket but I didn’t want to get you in trouble and I didn’t think it was my place so I didn’t say anything and now you almost died and you’re here and I feel horrible.”

    Kyungsoo puts his other hand on top of hers. “I’m sorry I made you feel like that, Seulgi. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt you.” He gives her a soft smile, but it doesn’t help as the tears start streaming down her face and Kyungsoo motions for her to give him a hug.

    They talk a little longer before Kyungsoo falls back asleep and when he wakes up again, Baekhyun is now in his room, eating the pudding cup from his lunch tray. “You bastard, I was gonna eat that,” Kyungsoo mumbles, rubbing sleep from his eye.

Baekhyun shrugs and the spoon before throwing it back in the empty cup and setting it on the table. “What the hell were you thinking,” Baekhyun scolds and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “Did you completely lose it or something?”

“I was in a dark place, Baekhyun. Give me some slack,” Kyungsoo complains,

pushing himself up in bed.

    “I would have if you came to me and talked. Ever since Jongin left, you’ve been so distant and now that I’m looking at you in this bed, it’s like I don’t even know you anymore.” Baekhyun looks like he’s about to cry and Kyungsoo can’t stand to have anyone else cry in front of him.

    “Baekhyun don’t you dare,” Kyungsoo warns and Baekhyun sniffles.

    “I almost lost you, Kyungsoo, you can at least let me cry.” He wipes his eyes and takes a deep breath. “If he hadn’t found you,” he mumbles and Kyungsoo gives him a look.

    “Who is he?” Before Baekhyun can answer, the person Baekhyun was most likely talking about steps into the room. “Oh.”

    Baekhyun looks up at Jongin, gives him a smile before getting up and leaving the two of them. Three months seemed so long and now that Kyungsoo is looking at Jongin, something about him looks different, but he can’t put a finger on it. He notices that Jongin doesn’t walk with a limp and that his leg looks perfectly fine that Kyungsoo has to wonder if maybe Minho was wrong about it all.

    “Hey,” Jongin says cooly as he sits down in the chair that has now been occupied by three people in one day. “You look like .”

    Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and pushes himself up. “Then I look better than I feel,” he says and rests his hands on his lap. “Why are you here?”

    “I found you unconscious in your bathroom, Kyungsoo. Why the hell wouldn’t I be here?” Jongin asks and Kyungsoo shakes his head.

    “Why are you in Korea. You went back to France.”

    “What, I’m not allowed to visit every once in a while?” Jongin questions.

    “You never did before,” Kyungsoo retorts and Jongin looks hurt for a second.

    “Whatever, this isn’t about me,” Jongin says, waving his hand as if he’s clearing things out of the air. “What the hell happened? I leave you perfectly fine and then three months later I find you on the brink of death with an empty bottle in your hand.”

    “Perfectly fine?” Kyungsoo scoffs. “You think I was fine?”

    “You seemed like it.”

    “Jongin, the man who still haunts me in my dreams showed up out of nowhere, you left for France, and you think I was fine?” Kyungsoo snaps. “How blind are you?”

    “I’m not a ing mind reader, Kyungsoo! If you didn’t want me to leave, why didn’t you say so?!” Jongin snaps back.

    “Because I didn’t want to be known as the pathetic loser who dragged you down with me.” Jongin lets out a breath and rubs his eyes. He mumbles something under his breath. “Sorry?” Kyungsoo asks and Jongin just looks off at the wall. “If you want to say something, Jongin, just say it. We’re not teenagers anymore.”

    “I said you always have to act like the victim, don’t you?” Jongin says harshly and Kyungsoo actually flinches.

    “What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Kyungsoo asks, crossing his arms.

    “Ever since we met up again, everything has been about you and your problems. You never once asked how I was coping with my leg, which is fine by the way, and never asked me how I was. It’s always been about you since I got back. Friendships aren’t supposed to be so one-sided like that,” Jongin complains.

    “Really? I wouldn’t know,” Kyungsoo quips and Jongin rolls his eyes. “Seeing as-”

    “I was young and stupid, Kyungsoo! I was so focused on my career that everything else was just a side story for me! And I’m sorry, really, I am, but I have apologized for it again and again, but it doesn’t matter because you won’t ever let me live it down, damn it!” Jongin stands up with the last word and drags his hand down his face as he paces the room. “I’m trying to make it up to you, but you won’t let me because you love throwing yourself a pity party any chance you get.” Jongin falls back into the chair and stares at Kyungsoo as he takes it all in.

    Kyungsoo clears his throat. “You left me,” he says quietly and Jongin rolls his eyes. “You left me every chance you had!” His voice raises with every word and Jongin rests his head on his knuckles. “When Sehun came back, you left. When dance came up, you left. When any better opportunity came up, you left me, so excuse me if I like to throw a big ing pity party for myself because I have always been everyone’s second choice!”

    “I left because I wasn’t obsessed with our relationship like you! It was great, we were best friends, but that’s it, Kyungsoo. You weren’t going to be in my life forever, but my future was! I couldn’t have both!”

    “You could have tried!” Kyungsoo screams.

    “We were two very different people going in two very different directions who just happened to meet up for a couple of years and hit it off, but it was just a fling that would have burnt out sooner or later! I wasn’t going to keep myself back from doing what I love just to be with someone who I didn’t love!”

    The room goes dead silent and Kyungsoo looks murderous. “So you dragged me along, for what?” he hisses.

    “Kyungsoo,” Jongin sighs, trying to fix what he’s just said, but Kyungsoo isn’t having any of it.

    “I loved you and you knew it, and still played with me! Was I just a game to you? See how long it would take before the loser realized he was nothing?” Kyungsoo cries.

    “Kyungsoo, I didn’t mean it. I wasn’t thinking-”

    “ you. I hate you and everything you are. Just go back to France and never come back because I never want to see you ever again!” Kyungsoo screams. Jongin sits and stares at Kyungsoo for a few more seconds before he stands up roughly, knocking the chair over.

   “You need to move on, Kyungsoo. Everyone else has,” Jongin says coldly and walks out of the room.


a/n: don't worry i'm going to explain what happened in the past three months.

OKAY DOES ANYONE WATCH HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER BECAUSE HOLY I STARTED WATCHING IT AND THAT IS THE BEST. SOMEONE FIND ME A KAISOO BASED ON IT PLS