2 On

Oxycontin, Cigarettes, and Sunflowers

    Unsurprising to Kyungsoo, Sehun and Jongin already have the first of many arguments that has Kyungsoo coming home to an apartment that smells like cheap beer. His nose crinkles up when he opens the door, and nostalgia sets in when he can see things thrown around the living room. Just like every other time, there’s blaring rap music coming from Jongin’s open room and just like last time, Jongin appears out of nowhere and grabs the back of Kyungsoo’s head and smashes it to his own, giving him a drunk and messy kiss.

    However, unlike every other time, Kyungsoo pushes away Jongin with a lot of force and his hands start to shake. Jongin’s eyes are puffy from crying and don’t really seem to focus on anything. He lets out a breathy laugh and nears closer to Kyungsoo to go back for another kiss and Kyungsoo can practically taste the beer from his breath.

    He ducks his head and escapes Jongin’s sloppy attempt to pull him back and walks to Jongin’s room where the windows are shaking from the bass. He tries to find the off button, but the music is so distractingly loud and his body is shaking too much to focus on reading the buttons and ends up unplugging it from the wall. Jongin wobbles into the doorway, a lazy grin on his face as he watches Kyungsoo turn around and look at the messy room.

    “Dyo,” he slurs, “let’s .”

    The old Kyungsoo would actually fall for that and make himself believe that maybe Jongin will actually love him, but this Kyungsoo just walks straight past Jongin and into the living room to start picking up tossed clothes and empty beer cans.

    Jongin, of course, follows him. “Stop pretending you don’t want it,” he taunts, walking up behind Kyungsoo and breathing into his ear. Kyungsoo ignores him and silently finishes picking up things. He walks into the kitchen and grabs the trash can so he can throw the trash into it easier, but is stopped in the doorway when he’s walking out by Jongin, his same lazy grin plastered on his face.

    “Move,” Kyungsoo finally speaks up, thankful that his voice is solid.

    Jongin shakes his head. “Not until you give me a kiss,” Jongin says in a playful tone, leaning down and puckering his lips. Kyungsoo clenches his teeth and shoves past Jongin which knocks him over. He doesn’t look back to make sure he’s okay, but continues to clean up and throwing everything and anything into the trash can including the pillow his grandma made him that is now soaked in beer.

    “Someone’s got a stick up their ,” Jongin mumbles from the floor, trying to help himself up. Kyungsoo doesn’t pay anymore attention to him, but jumps and drops the trash can when arms wrap around his waist tight and he can’t move. Flashbacks start to race through Kyungsoo’s brain and being in a position where he can’t move is just freaking him out even more. His breathing picks up and he tries to push Jongin’s arms off of him, but he can’t.

    “Jongin, let go,” he hisses, still clawing at his arms. He hears Jongin make a noise that is similar to a ‘no’ and starts to kiss down his neck which scares Kyungsoo even more. He struggles harder which just makes Jongin’s grip tighter and Kyungsoo’s anxiety skyrockets.

    “LET ME GO!” he screams and manages to break free from Jongin who looks very surprised. Kyungsoo stumbles over the long forgotten trashcan on the ground and grabs his chest. He tries his best to take even breaths and it’s almost working, but he can’t be in here anymore. He rushes out of the apartment, managing to grab his bag, and races to Baekhyun’s.

 

    His phone rings and rings and rings until it goes black again and the call is placed with all of the other missed calls and texts and voicemails that Jongin has left for Kyungsoo. Baekhyun glances over his paper that he’s reading to watch Kyungsoo who is staring at the phone with wide eyes. His whole body is moving nonstop and he’s chewing on his fingernails when Baekhyun has to reach over and grab his hand so he’ll quit moving so much. It makes Kyungsoo jump, but he realizes where he is and who he’s with and seems to calm down and relax a little.

    “Kyungsoo-”

    “No.”

    Baekhyun lets out a sigh and folds up his paper and sets it off to the side. “It’s been three days. Maybe you should talk to him? Or at least send a text to let him know you’re not lying dead in a ditch.”

    Kyungsoo shakes his head and flips his phone upside down so he can’t watch the screen light up. “I’m never going back there again.”

    He can hear Taeyeon make a noise from the other room and Baekhyun chews on his lip. “You’re acting irrational?” Baekhyun tries and Kyungsoo glares at him. “Besides, it’s your house. You can’t just let him stay there forever.”

    “I can if it keeps him away from me.”

    “He was drunk, Kyungsoo. He’s in a dark place. You all of all people should know what that feels like.”

    Kyungsoo totally goes still and gives Baekhyun the most disgusted look ever. “Are you defending him!?” he practically shouts. “Him! After everything I’ve told you about him! I can’t believe you’re defending him!”

    Baekhyun lets out a sigh and rubs his face. “I’m not defending him, I’m just looking at both sides of the situation.”

    “If you like him so much, why don’t you go back there and him!” Kyungsoo snaps.

    “At least he’d actually appreciate me!” Baekhyun snaps back and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes.

    “You don’t understand-”

    Baekhyun groans, cutting him off. “I have been your best friend for years, Kyungsoo. I understand everything because you tell me everything. I understand this more than anyone besides you because you don’t stop talking about it!”

    “You’ve had the perfect life, Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo hisses. “How could you know anything about it.”

    Baekhyun clenches his jaw and raps his fingers on the table to keep from jumping across it and strangling Kyungsoo. He opens his mouth to start to say something when Taeyeon runs into the room and stops him.

    “You two are best friends!” she snaps, slamming her hands on the table. “You both have a lot on your mind right now and neither of can lose each other.”

    Kyungsoo turns his head away and crosses his arms and Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Of course you’d try and run from this, too,” Baekhyun utters under her breath and Kyungsoo spins his head back around so fast, it’s a surprise he didn’t get whiplash.

    “What did you just say?” he says, raising his eyebrows.

    “You heard you me, you-”

    “ENOUGH!” Taeyeon yells. She grabs a chair and swings it under her and sits down. “I’m not leaving here until you two make up.” They’re both silent and she an eyebrow. “I have a lot of work to do, you don’t want me to sit here all day,” she warns and Baekhyun lets out a breath.

    “Fine.” He clears his throat and sits up in his chair. “Kyungsoo,” he says, but stops as soon as he starts. “He’s mocking me.”

    “Am not,” Kyungsoo says and Taeyeon rolls her eyes.

    “You’re not in preschool and I’m not your mother,” she scolds and the two boys look down at their laps in shame. “Now, Baekhyun, please continue.”

    “Kyungsoo,” he starts, “I wasn’t defending Jongin, I was just trying to help you because I know that you’re still fixing yourself and you need as many friends as possible to help you.” When he finishes, they both turn to look at Kyungsoo who is watching Baekhyun with a blank face. It a few seconds before he clears his throat this time and sits up in his chair.

    “I’m sorry if you think that I don’t appreciate you,” he says. “You’re the best friend I’ve ever had and though that isn’t saying much, I appreciate you more than I let on.”

    “Good,” Taeyeon says, standing up. “Now, if you two don’t mind, I’m going back to do some work in silence.” She gives both of them a hard look. “Silence.”

    She walks away and things are slightly awkward in the room and it’s a few minutes before Baekhyun clears his throat and speaks up. “I’m never bothered when you come to talk to me, you know.”

    “And I know your life isn’t perfect, or anywhere near it” Kyungsoo answers, giving a light smile. “I mean it, though. You’re the best friend I’ve ever had, Baekhyun. I don’t mean to take you for granted.” Baekhyun returns the smile and fiddles with the forgotten paper. “What did she mean when she said you have a lot on your mind? Is something wrong?”

    Baekhyun keeps playing witht the paper and it looks like he’s thinking over something. “Taeyeon…..” He purses his lips.

    “You two aren’t going to break up, are you?” Kyungsoo asks worriedly and Baekhyun shakes his head.

    “No. She, uh, she’s late.”

    It takes Kyungsoo a little while to realize what he means and when he does, his eyes grow wide and his jaw drops to the floor. “BAEKHYUN!” Kyungsoo jumps up and Baekhyun jumps up too and covers his mouth, putting a finger to his own. He looks over to Taeyeon’s office and when no angry woman is jumping out of it, he pushes Kyungsoo to sit back down and he does the same.

    “We don’t know for sure, yet,” Baekhyun explains.

    Kyungsoo’s face is illuminated. “Has she taken a test?” he asks.

    “She was going to this weekend, but then you came over and she figured it would be awkward to do it while you’re around.”

    “Whoops,” Kyungsoo mumbles, giving an apologetic smile. “But Baekhyun this is huge! You’re gonna be a dad and I’m gonna be an uncle and Taeyeon’s gonna be a mom and and you’re not excited. Why aren’t you excited?”

    Baekhyun shrugs. “We don’t know how our parents will react. They’re all so strict on having kids after marriage and-”

    Kyungsoo snorts. “Byun Baekhyun, when have you ever cared about how your parents will react?” Baekhyun lets out a small laugh. “If you’re worried about how you’ll be as a dad, I can promise you that you’re nothing like your father.” Baekhyun is staring at the table when Kyungsoo reaches across and puts his hand over Baekhyun’s. “You’ll be a great dad.”

    “Thanks,” Baekhyun whispers.

    “Just remember one thing,” Kyungsoo says, sitting back in his chair.

    “What?”

  “Name it after me.”