Chapter VII

Hitched, Ditched, and Left Behind

9:45 P.M, Korean Time, Seoul, South Korea

 

I was a worker for JYP.....

 

I was a worker for JYP.....

 

There was no way this was happening to me right now.

 

-"Abbi, you okay?" I almost jumped in shock as Nicole poked my shoulder, shaking myself from a daze as I rushed to bend down and pick up my phone, putting it back to my ear to hear the rest of the message.

 

-"Your orientation will begin next week Thursday at 8 o'clock, we look forward to seeing you here and welcome to the team...have a good evening."

 

This was not happening. "ABBI!"

 

I jumped again, turning to face Nikki and the others as they stared at me expectantly. Nicole waved her hand in front of my face. "What happened?"

Though my insides were busy doing things my body was in no way flexible enough to do, on the exterior, I was still in a frozen state of shock......

 

Who wouldn't be?

 

-"I got the job....." My expression was blank and the phone was still by my ear even though the message was long over, and as I said those words, a silence fell in the car....except for the folk song Arirang playing in the taxi radio.

 

It took about five seconds before chaos nearly broke loose.

 

-"Oh my God! You got it!"

-"They accepted you so quick! How'd that happen!"

-"You're kidding me right? That's what the message was about?"

-"Congratulations....hehe, I just made a song reference. You're gonna be working with them now anyways! AH!"

 

The barrage of comments and questions thrown at me were blocked out after that, I simply sat back and stared out the window at the lights of Seoul brightening up the crowded streets.

 

Not even a month in South Korea, and yet I managed to meet two members of BTS on my first day, meet the head of JYPE and a member of Day6, and land a job in the company of my dreams...

 

And all before my classes began...this had to be a dream.

 

Maybe it was.

 

-"No, you're not dreaming Abbi." I spun my head to stare at Nikki suspiciously. "Did I say that aloud?" She rolled her eyes and nodded, I only sighed overwhelmed. "So this is really happening?" Nicole laughed a bit. "Of course it is....I'm still waiting for the results." I nodded in understanding. "You never finished telling me what happened..."

 

All bitterness over not meeting D.O seemed to be forgotten, at least temporarily replaced by excitement. She adjusted herself in her seat and started to finish her tale. "Where'd I leave off?"

 

-"Yang Hyuk catching you looking like a stalker at Big Bang's dance practice...."

 

She stared at me but ignored the comment. "Okay, so this was what happened next..."

 

*

 

-"Can I help you?"

 

Nicole jumped at the sound of a voice behind her, spinning around so quickly she nearly fell on her ...not a perfect way to start off.

 

And definitely not a great first impression in front of the Yang Hyuk.....

 

She was actually in front of Yang Hyuk, CEO of YG entertainment company, somebody kill her.

 

Quickly she fixed her stooped posture and straightened herself before bowing nervously. "Ah, chwesonghamnida sunsaengnim...Nicole imnida." The CEO simply studied her carefully before responding. "Are you lost?"

 

There was a slight temptation to simply run from this whole situation, ditch the uncomfortable scene and never show her face there again....but then the girls, especially Abbi...and Malea, would kill her.

 

-"Yes I am, I was looking for someone to speak to since no one was at the front desk...I didn't know that down here was for this reason."

 

The brief look of skepticism didn't escape Nicole's view before it was replaced by a smile as Yang Hyuk sunsaengnim put his hand out in front of him. "That's alright...Well, let me take you there." Nicole gulped before nodding, every loosely hung scrap of self-confidence disappearing as she followed him a couple of paces behind.

 

-"Are you here for an interview?" Nicole nodded at the back of his head, mentally face palming herself before she cleared to speak. "Yes I am, I had turned in my application and someone had made an appointment."

 

-"What did you apply for?" For a moment Nikki wondered if this was her interview, wiping her hands against her jeans as she answered. "Songwriting." Yang Hyuk hummed in interest, and steadily an uncomfortable silence fell around them, only occasionally broken by an intern or worker walking by, bowing at the both of them while greeting before continuing on their way.

 

Well, this was awkward.

 

She couldn't be more relieved as he walked up to the front receptionist. "This in Nicole, she's here for the interview....take her there for me if you can please?" The girl nodded before getting up and reaching her with a smile. "Annyeonghaseyo, Hyeari imnida." Nicole bowed a bit, staying bent over awkwardly until Yang Hyuk was out of sight.....

 

The guy scared the living daylights her. She had tried to prepare herself from the beginning, remembering how he acted in the videos with strangers and contestants....

 

Yeah, that did nothing to help.

 

*

 

I grinned a bit at her. "So it went well then?" Nicole simply closed her eyes before putting in her earphones. "Shut up will you?"

....

*

 

The next day was a hassle, my alarm for 7 o'clock had decided not to work and I instead was awoken by a very agitated Malea who was not about to be late for her interview...

 

I don't like getting woken up, so instead of a smooth going day as planned, instead I was in a bad and fragile mood. I was a ticking time bomb.

 

"Hurry up Abbi, I'm already gonna be late and Cray's left with Nikki a while ago!" I grimaced, my grip tightening on my tooth brush a little too much as I spit out the toothpaste into the running water, muttering to myself as I did. "Why didn't you just go with them?" The sour mood I was in currently continued to worsen as I cupped my hand to catch come cold water quickly enough to rinse my mouth and again to wash my face.

-"Abbi!"

 

-"I'm coming woman!" Stepping back, I glanced myself over once more before opening the door and stepping out of the bathroom. Malea stood waiting as I grabbed my bag, sweater, and phone before turning to face her with faked sarcastic enthusiasm. "Gaja!"

Malea only rolled her eyes and walked out in front of me.

 

*

 

"I'll sit here." Lea frowned for a moment as I sat down at the waiting area, sitting next to me nervously. "I can't believe I'm actually doing this!" I closed my eyes and sulked in the seat, tipping my head back to lean it against the chair. "I can't believe you woke me up from my sleep."

 

I could imagine her reaction. "You missed your alarm."

 

-"It didn't ring."

 

-"Exactly, so we would've been late." I forced one eye open towards her. "You would've been late...not me, I ain't got anywhere I need to be right now except a nice bed covered in blankets." The bitterness in my tone caused her to glare at me. "You really aren't a morning person are you?" I closed my tired eye and smiled. "Nope...."

 

-"Dang Abbi."

Mornings weren't my thing, waking up because of someone else wasn't my thing. Getting mad at an alarm for ringing wore off quickly and didn't affect anyone, but someone else being the cause of the end of my sleep would leave me on a short fuse that caused me to say things I didn't mean....it was a weakness I'd given into.

 

"Malea Ramlal?"

 

I sat up at the call of her name, seeing her fidget in her seat before getting up with a tense smile. "Neh, Jeoyeyo..." (Yes, that's me.) The man at the front nodded. "You're here for an interview right?" She responded with a yes, with that he motioned for her to follow him.

 

With a sigh I leaned forward. "Hey Lea!" She froze and glanced back at me.

 

-"Good luck....you'll be fine."

 

She grinned a bit before continuing towards the door....

 

Now all I had to do, was wait.

 

*