Behind The Veil

Wedding Crashers

The next day was the day of the rehearsal dinner. Dahyun and Sua spent the whole afternoon getting ready. “Dahyun, have you seen my pumps?” Sua called from the bathroom.

“I think I saw them downstairs” Dahyun replied.

“Are you two ready?” Rapmon called “We have to leave soon if you want to get there on time”

“Almost” Sua opened the door and came out of the bathroom. She was dressed in a slimming cocktail dress with her hair curled to perfection.

“Wow” Rapmon was in awe. He stood there staring at Sua with his mouth gaping open.

Dahyun waved her hand in his face “Hello? Earth to Namjoon”

He snapped out of his gaze “I’ll meet you guys downstairs”

Sua couldn’t stop giggling.

-

Together they got in the car and drove to the venue where the event was being held. “Where’s Yoongi?” Sua asked.

“He said he was going to meet us here” Dahyun told her “Let’s just go ahead and go in”

Yeseul’s grandparents were stationed at the doorway greeting guests. “Hello, how are you?”

“Good, thank you” Dahyun told the old lady.

She stopped and looked up at her “I don’t recognize you. Are you related to the groom?”

Dahyun shook her head “No, I’m an old friend”

“Ah, okay. Well, enjoy the dinner” She told her.

Dahyun, Sua, and Rapmon made their way to their assigned table. It was all the way in the back and the furthest away from the bride and grooms table.  “Do you think she sat us all the way back here on purpose?” Sua half joked.

In the distance, Dahyun could see Jungkook and Yeseul greeting guests and accepting gifts. Dahyun was completely distracted just watching the couple interact with one another.

“Dahyun!”

She spun around when she heard her name. “Jin!”

Jin came over with Jimin to say hello. “I see you’ve been sat at the loser table”

Dahyun laughed “It’s probably because I sent in my RSVP so late”

“Uh-huh” Jin grinned.

Dahyun didn’t like what he was implying. Yeseul wasn’t that conniving. “Jimin, what are you doing?”

Jimin was reading over something on a notecard.  He let out a sigh “I have to do the toast tonight”

“Aw, don’t be nervous! Just speak from the heart” She assured him.

Jimin nodded “Yeah, you’re right.”

“Okay, well we better go find our seats” Jin told him.

“See you later Dahyun” Jimin told her.

“See ya” Dahyun watched as they walked away. She sat back down at her table and looked at Sua and Rapmon. The two were sitting really close to one another and were whispering about who knows what. Sua was smiling and laughing. Dahyun couldn’t help but feel jealous.  But Dahyun’s eyes lit up when she saw Suga racing over to her.

“I’m so sorry I’m late” He apologized. “I hope I didn’t miss anything”

“You didn’t” Dahyun stood up to hug him.

Jungkook was having a conversation with one of Yeseul’s relatives when his eyes caught Suga and Dahyun. He wanted to pull her away from him, but all he could do in that moment was just watch.

Then the food was ready and everyone sat down in their seats while they were being served. Before they could start eating Yeseul stood up and banged a fork on her glass. “Everyone, everyone, can I have your attention please?”

The entire room silenced and all looked at Yeseul.

“I just want to say thank you for coming out this evening to our rehearsal dinner. And now, I’m going to leave it to the best man to do the toast.” Yeseul’s cheery attitude rubbed off on everyone in the room.

Jimin stood up “Hello everyone.” He was full of nerves “I meet Jungkook at football practice when we were eight…”

During his speech, Dahyun wanted to pay attention but couldn’t. She was distracted just looking at Jungkook and admiring how good he looked in his suit. She was just blankly staring at him until he caught eyes with her. Dahyun smiled and tried put on a happy composure. Jungkook smiled back. He got a laugh from Dahyun when he pretended to yawn at Jimin’s long speech.

Unfortunately Yeseul noticed their exchange in glances and decided to cut Jimin’s speech a bit early.

“He’s always been there for me just like a brother. I remember this one time…” Jimin was finally comfortable and all the nerves were gone.

“I’m sorry Jimin, I’m gonna have to stop you there. There’s a bit of a time restraint” Yeseul interrupted. “Okay everyone. Let’s eat!”

Dahyun excused herself to the bathroom to wash her hands.

-

The bathroom was empty aside from Dahyun. She the faucet and began washing her hands when the bathroom door swung open and Yeseul entered.

Yeseul put her make up bag on the counter and stood in the mirror next to Dahyun. “Hey Dahyun”

“Hey” Dahyun responded. Talking to Yeseul always made Dahyun feel uneasy.

“Didn’t everything turn out just great? I love how all the center pieces match the napkins” Yeseul was re-applying her lipstick.

“Yeah it looks really nice”

“And Jungkook, doesn’t he look good in his suit?” Yeseul put the lipstick away and looked straight at Dahyun “Doesn’t he just look so handsome?” Yeseul was trying to flaunt Jungkook in her face.

“Yeah, I guess he does” Dahyun tried to flee the bathroom when Yeseul stopped her.

“Cut the crap Dahyun. I saw you checking him out. Your eyes were practically glued on him” Yeseul instantly became a different person. She was no longer bright and overly happy. Now she seemed cruel and Dahyun was afraid.

“Excuse me?” Dahyun thought she didn’t hear her correctly.

“I know you two used to date” Yeseul crossed her arms “I’m not stupid, it’s sooo obvious.”

Dahyun thought she was dreaming. Was this the same girl that invited her to a sleepover a few days ago? “I’m sorry, I’m confused. If you knew we dated then why invite me to your wedding?”

Yeseul let out a short breathy laugh “Keep your enemies close right? I wanted to make sure that whatever went on between you two was over. Plus making you a bridesmaid scored me huge points with Jungkook.”

Dahyun was in shock. Jungkook was marrying this girl?!

“But I’m so sick and tired of pretending to be your friend. So this is how it’s going to play out” Yeseul moved so she was right up in Dahyun’s face. “You are going to come to the wedding tomorrow and smile as you stand next to me by the altar. Then after the wedding, you are going to leave and go back to wherever it is that you came from and then you are never going to contact Jungkook ever again. Understand?”

“What if I don’t? What if I go out there right now and tell him what you just said to me?” Dahyun argued.

Yeseul grabbed her make-up bag off the counter. “Then I’ll just say I don’t know what you’re talking about” Then she played out what she would say “Kookie! Don’t listen to her. I would never say that!”

Dahyun shook her head “He wouldn’t believe that”

“Oh yes he would. I’ve got him eating out of the palm of my hand. Anything I say, he does.” Yeseul turned to leave but stopped in the doorway. “Who would you believe? The girl that broke your heart that you haven’t seen in years or your loving adorable fiancée?” Then she left, leaving Dahyun to soak in her own thoughts.

-

Dahyun made her way back to her seat. She tried her best to act as if nothing had just happened.

“Dahyun? Dahyun?” Suga tried to get her attention. “It’s time to leave”

“Oh” Dahyun stood up and grabbed her purse.

As they were leaving Jungkook came over to see them off. “Are you all heading out?”

“Yeah. Going in for the night” Rapmon replied.

“I didn’t get a chance to say hello before the dinner.” He looked at Dahyun who was avoiding eye-contact. “Who’s this?” He pointed at Suga.

When Dahyun didn’t say anything, Suga took the initiative to speak. “My name is Yoongi. Although you might remember me as Suga”

Jungkook’s eyes lit up. “Suga! Yes I remember.” They shook hands. “Well, you take good care of Dahyun”

He nodded “Will do”

-

Dahyun let Suga drive her home. The car ride was mostly silent aside from Suga’s random attempts to start conversation. When they got to Rapmon’s house, Suga walked her to the door.

“Thank you for inviting me. The food was delicious” Suga told her.

Dahyun nodded “Thank you for coming”

Suga leaned in, in an attempt to kiss her good night, but Dahyun pulled away.

“Onion breath” Dahyun lied.

“You still love him huh?”

“What?”

“It’s okay. I saw the way you looked at him.”

Dahyun felt guilty “I’m sorry for making you come”

“It’s all right. It was a really good free meal” Suga laughed.

“I shouldn’t have even come” Dahyun admitted “I don’t know what I was thinking”

“You were thinking you needed closure.” Suga comforted her “I get it”

Dahyun laughed at herself. “You know I was actually kinda hoping that I’d come here and he’d see me and then he’d realize how much he still loved me and call off the wedding. And then I’d find out that the fiancée was evil so I wouldn’t feel bad about it.”

“Just like a romance novel” Suga added.

“What’s funny is that he did tell me he loved me and that his fiancée is in fact evil.”

Suga’s eyes lit up “What?”

“Yeah, she threatened me today in the bathroom. All because I looked at her future husband”

“No not that” Suga was shocked “He told you he still loved you? And you didn’t do anything about it?”

“What was I supposed to do? Tell him to cancel his wedding and runaway with me?”

“YES! That’s exactly what you should have done!” Suga, the romantic, was getting passionate about what he was saying. “If you want love than you have to fight for it!”

“Well it’s too late now” Dahyun argued “He’s getting married tomorrow!”

“It’s never too late for love!” Suga shouted “Tomorrow you are breaking up that wedding!”