Save The Date

Wedding Crashers

Dahyun opened the door to her apartment and dropped the mail down on the kitchen table. The smell of burning ramen filled her nostrils “Sua? Are you cooking something?”

Sua, Dahyun’s roommate, came running out of her room into the kitchen. “Oh no! I almost forgot!” She ran to the stove and shut it off.

“It looks salvageable” Dahyun looked into the pot. “I’ll pour us some bowls”

While Dahyun served the ramen, Sua stared going through the mail. “Bills, bills, coupons, bills, …” Suddenly her eyes widened when she saw a pink envelope.

“What’s that?” Dahyun set Sua’s bowl down in front of her.

Sua opened the envelope and read its contents “Nothing” she crumpled up the piece of paper in her hand.

“It is not nothing. Let me see it” Dahyun tried to grab the letter but Sua pulled away.

“I told you it’s nothing”

“Just let me see it then”

“No” Sua held her ground.

“Sua” Dahyun started to grow irritated “Let. Me. See. It.”

Sua gulped and tried to make a run for it. Unfortunately for her Dahyun was too quick and she snatched the letter from her.

Dahyun un-crumpled the letter and read it aloud “Please join the wedding of Jungkook and Yeseul” Her face fell. There was no need to read any further. She let the paper drop to the floor.

“Dahyun?” Sua shook her gently “Are you okay?”

Seeing her worried friend, Dahyun put on a smiling façade. “Yeah, of course” She walked over to her purse and pulled out her phone. “I better call my boss to give me some time off work”

Sua’s eyebrows scrunched together “What?! Don’t tell me you’re going?”

Dahyun shrugged “Why wouldn’t I go?”

“Wow, I don’t know, maybe because he’s your x-boyfriend” Sua took her phone away from her.

“Sua give that back”

“No”

“Sua, please”

Sua couldn’t take her puppy dog eyes. “Fine, but as your friend, I want you to know I strongly advise you not to go”

“I have to”

Sua couldn’t see why Dahyun needed to go but it seemed she wouldn’t be able to do anything to stop it anyway. “If you insist on going than I insist on going with you”

Dahyun smiled “thanks”

-

After calling their places of work, requesting vacation days, and packing up their stuff; the girls headed to the airport where they now waited for their flight.

“I can’t believe they are getting married right out of college” Sua grumbled. “And why would they even have invited you, none of the less put you in the wedding”

Dahyun ignored the awkwardness of the situation. “I don’t think she knows we used to date. Probably just thinks we are good pals”

“How could she not know?”

“It looks like we are boarding” Dahyun pointed out.

The two of them got into the line and waited to get onto the plane.

“Here” Sua handed Dahyun her ticket. “I still don’t get why you feel obligated to go to this wedding”

Dahyun sighed “Because, we promised each other we’d always be friends. This is what friends do, they go to each other’s weddings.”

In the last few years Dahyun had been trying her best to forget Jungook. Now all the memories were flooding back in. One in particular wouldn’t leave her mind.

FLASHBACK:

Dahyun and Jungkook sat on the balcony of his room with their college acceptance letters sitting in front of them. They both had different dreams and therefore different paths they needed to take.

“So I guess this is it” Dahyun’s eyes flooded with tears.

Junkook shook his head “No, I’m not giving up on us” He tried to hold Dahyun’s hand but she pulled away.

“Long distance never works”

“We could make it work. Our schools are only a few hours apart” Junkook tried to get her to look at him.

“Jungkook you had to know this day would come.” She still refused to look at him.

“I know” his voice was much quieter than before. “I just don’t want to let go”

Dahyun gathered up all the courage she could and turned to face him. It almost made her burst in tears seeing him just as miserable as she was. “I’m sorry”

Then hope beamed across his face. “Let’s stay friends”

Dahyun chuckled “Friends?”

“Yeah, I consider you my best friend. I don’t see why that has to stop”

“Okay” Dahyun didn’t mind the idea of at least getting to see him again.

Jungkook didn’t seem so sad anymore “And who knows maybe if we’re both still single after college. We could try again.”

-

“Where’s your seat?” Sua asked.

Dahyun looked at her blankly “Huh?”

“Your seat? We had to book separate seats remember?”

“Oh!” Dahyun looked at her ticket. “Up there”

“Okay, well I’ll be over here if you need me” Sua sat down in her seat and got comfortable.

Dahyun walked over to her seat. She sat down next to guy reading a magazine.

“Dahyun?” the guy peered up from the magazine “Is that you?”

She looked at him for a while before realizing who it was. “Jin?”

“This is such a coincidence!” Jin smiled “Are you going to the wedding too?”

“Yeah, I am”

“Didn’t think you would come” Jin was still in shock “So what have you been up to?”

Ignoring his first comment Dahyun told him about how she got her degree and about how she got her job right out of college.

“That’s amazing, any boyfriends along the way?”

She shook her head “No not really. What about you though? What have you been up to?”

“I’ve decided not to be a football player. Turns out, I’m not that good”

“Really? I could have told you that” She teased.

Jin laughed “Now, I’ve decided to become an actor instead.”

“An actor?”

“Yeah I’ve already been casted in a lot of cool things”

“You’ll have to send me some of those ‘cool things’”

The plane soon took off and the flight attendant was coming around to hand out snacks.

Dahyun struggled to open her bag of goldfish.

“What are you doing?” Jin asked.

She held up the snack “Trying to open this”

“No, not that. What are you doing going to this wedding?”

Dahyun put the goldfish down. “Why does everyone keep asking me that? Can’t I just be a supportive friend?”

“Oh c’mon that’s all a load of crap. You can’t get over him can you?”

“What?” She laughed “It’s been four years, I think I’ve had plenty of time to get over him”

“Yeah and you haven’t”

“I have!” she protested.

“You have not. You know how I know, you, my friend, have not dated anyone since him.”

Dahyun didn’t want to admit it, especially not to Jin.

“None can compare to your first love. So what’s the plan? Break up the wedding?”

“You obviously don’t know me very well”

-

The plane landed, without problems, and Jin and Dahyun said their goodbyes.  Dahyun met up with Sua and together they walked out of the airport.

“I hate children” Sua complained “I don’t see how they find so much joy in kicking someone’s seat”

They arrived at a local hotel ready to check in. “One room please” Sua asked politely.

“I’m sorry mam, we are all booked.” The hotel employee apologized.

Sua looked at Dahyun sadly. “What do we do now? Do you know any relatives in the area?”

Dahyun nodded “I know one” she pulls out her phone and dials a number. After a few rings someone answers.

“Hello” he asks.

“Namjoon oppa? Can I ask you for a favor?”

-

They arrived at Rapmonster’s house later that day.

“Thank you so much for letting us stay here” Dahyun told him.

“It’s no problem really. You should’ve told me you were coming in town.” Rapmon pointed upstairs. “You guys can stay in your old room”

Sua bowed “Thank you so much!”

“Where are your parents?” Dahyun asked.

Rapmon laughed “I’m a grown man Dahyun. I bought the house from them to keep it in the family.”

“That’s so cool” Sua was staring at Rapmon.

“Thanks” he told her.

Dahyun felt a bit uncomfortable so she grabbed her bags and started making her way upstairs. She opened the door to see a completely different room. “It looks so bland”

Rapmon and Sua followed her into the room. “Yeah I’ve been using it as a guest room. All your stuff is in the garage by the way.”

Sua dropped her suitcase down next to Dahyun’s “I’m going to use the restroom real quick” she rushed out the room towards the bathroom.

“I knew you were invited but I didn’t think you would actually come” Rapmon mentioned.

Dahyun opened her suitcase. “Well, I’m here aren’t I?”

Rapmon nodded “You really missed out on a lot”

“Like what?” Dahyun stopped what she was doing to hear what he was going to say.

He shrugged. “You’ll be filled in sooner or later”

Dahyun just looked confused. “Okay? Are you and Jungkook close or something?”

“Yeah, I’d say we’ve gotten close. He’s a really cool dude”

“I wish you would’ve thought that when I dated him.”

Sua came back into the room. “Bathroom is now open!”

“Okay, if you two need anything my room is across the hall.” Rapmon left and headed back to his room.

Dahyun noticed Sua’s ridiculous expression. “What are you to giddy about?”

“Nothing” she sat down on the bed. “Is your cousin single?”

“Ew stop, you’re going to make me want to puke”

“What? He’s hot” Sua defended herself.