Prologue

Beautiful Eyes

Do Kyungsoo. 19 years old. Home-schooled. 


On the 12th of January, 1993, a beautiful child was born. His name was Kyungsoo. 

His father had committed suicide a few years later when he lost his ability to see. Unfortunately, the blinding lights and aging had taken more of a toll on his eyes than they should have. He had been depressed for a few weeks and eventually threw himself off the rooftop in agony over the fact that he would see the world no more. Ever since then, his mother had raised Kyungsoo all by herself. 

But, the death of her husband took its own toll on the poor woman and, at a state of desperation and severe paranoia, she covered her son's eyes with a blindfold to ensure he didn't meet the same fate that his father did. She closed her doors to the world, cut off contact with all family and friends, and educated her son at home. Everyday she said the same line; "You have beautiful eyes, Kyungsoo. They must be protected."

Kyungsoo was not allowed to take off his blindfold, unless his mom had to change it or clean his eyes. And for a few blurry moments, he would see light, only to be replaced by darkness again. Kyungsoo had gotten so used to the feeling of fabric around his face that he almost felt without it.

Despite his constant urge to see the world, he never took it off, because he loved his mother with all his heart. She was all he had, and he was, equally, all she had. And all of the world he saw in those few short years before his father had passed, had faded away into history like they never existed.

 

One day, when his mother had gone out to buy groceries, she was hit by a speeding car and met her own end. In all the commotion followed by the woman's death, an old friend of hers was contacted and she took it upon herself to take care of Kyungsoo. Police have tried time and time again to get Kyungsoo to take off his blindfold but he would always cower to the corner, shaking, saying his mom told him not to. 

 

"Kyungsoo-yah..." The lady gently touched his shoulder, "You may not know me, but I'm an old friend of your mom." 

The 19-year-old boy stayed silent.

"I'll take care of you now, okay? I'm sure you wouldn't want to stay here any longer..." The police officer at the back scoffed. The woman continued, "My name is Kim Jung Ah. And I promise to treat you like my own son, for the years of friendship your mother and I had." 

Silence.

"You can take of your blindfold now, okay? Don't you want to see the world? Here, take my hand, okay?" 

The lady stretched out her hand and gently grazed it against his. 

You can take off your blindfold now.

Don't you want to see the world? 

Yes I do; Kyungsoo thought, tears welling in his yes, I want to so, so, bad. I want to see my mother. 

And so, Kyungsoo took her hand. What else could he do? He couldn't camp out in the police station all his life. More importantly, he felt a certain warmth to this woman's touch, comfort which he had only ever felt from his own mother.

That was the beginning of the new chapter of Kyungsoo's life. The world, uncovered, beyond the blindfold.