FOUR!!

Serene September..

'Why do you sacrifice your sleep just to come early... You could have like 2 hours nap, you know...' Seo noona chided as she push the chocolate muffin towards me. She had insisted to buy me a drink for coming early to meet Taehyung.

'Just because...' I smiled, taking a bite of the sinful muffin. She pouted as she shoot me a glare.

'What if its busy later? And you wont be able to rest... 12 hour shift is no joke you know...' She mumbled, still glaring at me. 

'Don't worry, noona... We are given 2 hours break.. I could take a nap later... After all, I wanted to meet Taehyung..' I chuckled, watching her taking a bite of her apple cinnamon muffin.

'Anyway.. I appreciate you helping to coax him into taking his medicine... You have no idea how difficult it is to get him to take his medicine... If werent for you, I would probably still stuck in the paeds ward trying to make him take his medicine...' She shuddered as if recalling her experience.

'Noona... Where is his parents?' I asked, since I didnt managed to meet any of his relatives. Seo noona looked up, her face conflicted as she hesitated for a while.

'The thing is that... Taehyung is an orphan, Jongin-ah.... He's from this orphanage that I volunteered in... Please dont ask Taehyung about any of this...' Seo noona pleaded, as she leaned forward, her eyes big as if begging me.

'Oh I didnt know about that... Dont worry, noona.. I wont ask him anything...' I reassured. Her facial expression brighten slightly as she took a sip of her tea.

'Thats very nice of you, noona... Volunteering.. Spreading your love and happiness all over... Your an angel.. really...' 

'Aigoooo.... Jongin-ah... I'm just a normal person... trying to make others happy... Spreading my little love around...' She blushed as she shook her head furiously. 

'Noona... What do you work as? Are you like a social worker or something?' 

'Ha..Ha.. No, Jongin... I'm not a social worker... I used to work as a fashion designer but I quit early this year.. Because I feel that life is too short to worrying about datelines... worrying whether my boss woke up on the right side of bed... whether my designs will get pick for this season launch...' She smiled, her smile not reaching her eyes. 

'I'm amazed... really noona... I would love to wake up one day and not think about work.. Just living life as it is... I would love for that to happen...' I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

'No.. Jongin... You wouldnt want to wish for this... Anyway what time do you need to report?' Seo noona ask, changing the topic. Although I was feeling weird by her sudden change, I managed to hide my expression.

'I still have 30mins before I need to change... Why noona? Do you need to leave now?' I ask, glancing towards my watch.

'Yes Jongin... I'm having a slight headache.. Its been a long and tiring day, playing with Taehyung.. I'm getting old and I need to rest...' She chuckled before grimacing slightly as she slowly packed her things.

'Ah.. Are you sure your fine, noona? Do you need medications? I can prescribe some for you now..' I stood up, wanting to buy some painkillers for her.

'Dont worry, Jongin.. I'll be fine after resting... It's my usual headache...' Smiling, she stood up, grabbing the handle of her bag tightly.

'If you insist, noona... I'll walk you to the hospital lobby...' I said, supporting her as she swayed slightly.

'Thank You, Jongin-ah..' She whispered as we walked towards the exit of the cafe. I could feel her body was shivering and that she was perspiring.

'Noona.. Are you sure, you're fine.. I could send you home if you want to.. There's still enough time before my shift starts..' I offered as we reached the hospital lobby.

'Dont worry, Jongin-ah.. I'll text you once I've reached home...' She smiled.

'Alright noona... Come.. You take a seat here.. I'll queue for you...' I guided her to the seat at the side, before rushing to the taxi stand, waiting in line for her. Glancing back to Seo noona, she had leaned back against the wall, her eyes closed.

It didnt take long for the cab to come, I signal to the cabbie to hold on before running to Seo noona. Running back to her, I woke her up as I guided her to the cab.

'Jongin... Thank you for your help... I'll text you once I've reached home.. Have a good shift, Jongin-ah..' She whispered, as I opened the cab door to let her in.

'Yes noona.. Have a good rest...' 

'Jongin-ah... Thank You...' She turned around, pulling me into a hug, before climbing into the taxi. I watched the cab drive off as I tried to register what just happen. Smiling to myself, I walked back into the hospital, making my way to the Emergency Department.

........................................

'Kim Jongin... Today we are covering the resuscitation area again... Lets hope for a good shift...' Dr Choi greeted the moment she saw me. Nodding my head, I followed her towards the resuscitation bay.

'Ok for today... The very first case we received, I want you to take charge.. I wont be helping you in any way... I will only step in if you need help or if I see that you not handling the patient safely... Are you confident enough?' Dr Choi ask, her face strict.

'Yes Dr Choi... I'm ready...' I answered. I could see from her facial expression that Dr Choi was in one of her bad mood, not wanting to irritate her further, I quickly prepare myself for to start the shift. I was getting my cannula tray ready, not wanting to get in the way of Dr Choi who was checking the day's xray reports when Senior Nurse Kim, Nurse Song and Dr Lee ran in with a trolley. Dr Lee ontop of the trolley, performing chest compression.

'Dr Choi! We have a collapse case! Brought in by a cab!' Nurse Kim shouted as she started connecting the ecg leads on the patient. I quickly rushed over with my intubation trolley, wanting to intubate the patient.

'KIM JONGIN!! SECURE AIRWAY NOW!!' Dr Choi barked as she signalled me to hurry up.

'SEO NOONA?' I gasped, surprised to find her on the patient trolley, pale, cold and unconscious. Everyone turn towards me as I stood there gaping, shocked.

'MOVE!! GIVE ME THE INTUBATION KIT NOW!' Dr Choi barked as she pushed me aside. Getting to my senses, I quickly handed her the intubation set as I assisted her in securing the airway.

'Ok Airway secure.. Nurse Kim, put on the automatic cardiac massager now.. Kim Jongin.. Get your mind straight or get out of my room now! Set the respirator now' Dr Choi ordered as she put on her stethoscope and listen to Seo noona's lungs. Nurse Kim and Nurse Song busy fixing the cardiac massager onto Seo noona's chest. 

I quickly scrambled to the side, switching the respirator machine on and setting it up according to the requirements needed. My hands trembled as I connect the tubing to the mouth piece. My eyes darting towards her closed eyes. 

'Dr Choi.. we got a rhythm!' Dr Lee said as he signalled Nurse Kim and Nurse Song to stop the machine.

'Good.. remove the massager.. Nurse Kim, call the ICU team now... Nurse Song.. call the xray department for portable chest xray now.. Dr Lee, check the patient's history and let me know any past medical history...' Dr Choi ordered. Unable to move a muscle, I stayed rooted near the respirator, my eyes fixated onto Seo noona.

'Dr Choi.. The patient, 25 year old, Seo Joo Hyun.. suffering from end stage brain cancer... the patient had already signed for DNR*!' Dr Lee reported as he looked away from the computer. 

'Brain cancer? She's suffering from brain cancer?' I muttered, unable to believe what Dr Lee had just said. 

'Nurse Song.. please get Kim Jongin out.. Bring him to my office...' Dr Choi ordered, as she eyed me, her face full of sympathy. 

'Dr Kim.. Please.. follow me...' Nurse Song said as she tugged my hand, pulling me out of the resuscitation room. 

....................................................

'How are you feeling now? I need you to understand the reason why I got you out from the room... I dont want you to be clouded by sadness and wont be able to save the patient...' Dr Choi said as she walked into the room. Alot of thing ran thru my mind when I was alone in Dr Choi's office. Alot of unanswered questions and how guilty I felt knowing that I could probably save her if I insisted to bring her to the Emergency department.

I looked up from my hands, staring at her as she took a seat opposite me. I opened my mouth, unable to say the words that I wanted to say.

'I'm sorry that you had to received you loved ones in this kind of situation... or even someone you know... I'm sorry for being harsh on you earlier on...' Dr Choi apologized as she continue to stare at me. I transferred my gaze to the skeleton figurine on her table as I tried to erase the image of Seo noona lying unconcious on the trolley. Dr Choi cleared nervously.

'We transferred her to the ICU... I think.. your not in the right state of mind to work now... You should go home...' 

Nodding my head, I stood up slowly, walking towards the door.

'Dr Choi.. Thank You...' I muttered as I walked out of the door.

....................................................

 

Author's Note:

Hey Hey Hey..

Another Chapter is up....

What do you guys think??

hahahaha...

LEave your comments behind!

Oh and please subscribe/upvote if you like...

but I would definitely appreciate reading your tots or feedbacks...hehe

A cliffhanger till I upload the next chapter!!

XOXOXO

 

p/s DNR is Do Not Resuscitate..Which means the patient refuses any CPR/advanced life support to be done on the patient in respect to his/her wishes in cases where their heart were to stop or they were to stop breathing.. 

In this case, they found out after they did the CPR/intubated the patient... 

anw.. all this is just FYI.. so that u guys wont get confused.. :)

afterall all this is from my full of imagination, complicated mind...

so 

Peace!! ^^