One!

Serene September..

'TOOT...TOOT...TOOT...TOOOOOOOOT....' 

Everyone rushed over to the trauma radio, waiting for the message to be relayed. I quickly took out my notepad, trying my best to scribble down the history that would be given by the ambulance staff. Deep down, I was nervous, knowing that it was the first trauma case that I would observe or even participate in.

'Alpha to Seoul Hospital.. Alpha to Seoul Hospital.. Do you copy me over?' The radio beeped. 

'Seoul Hospital to Alpha... Please send message over now...' Dr Choi barked into the radio. Everytime the radio beeped, everyone would be huddled around the radio, anxious to know what case we would received. Its been a week assigned to the Emergency Department and to one of the most respected and senior Dr in the hospital, Dr Choi Sooyoung. What this one week has taught me was to not underestimate this tall skinny woman, be it in terms of skill or even appetite.

'S.H.. S.H... please standby for a case of trauma... Fall from 10 metres height.. 15 year old male... Injuries to the head, suspect intracranial bleed and hypotension... E.T.A 5 mins!!' 

'Seoul Hospital to Alpha.. Message received loud and clear.. Roger out...' Dr Choi snapped as she placed the radio back into the cradle. 

'Nurse Kim, standby ICU and OT... Nurse Park, activate the Ortho, Surgical and the Anaesthesia team now... And you, pretty boy... put away that notebook and follow me to the Trauma room...' Dr Choi looked at me pointedly before turning around, and rushing to the Trauma room. I quickly stuffed my notebook into my scrubs and ran after Dr Choi. 

'Tell me what to expect from the standby message, pretty boy...' She muttered as she stepped into the resus room. I rolled my eyes at the annoying nickname as I tried to recall what I had learnt in one of the Trauma lectures back in Uni.

'It's a fall from height and the patient is hypotensive... We need to suspect internal bleeding and we need to nurse the patient in spinal nursing incase there's injury to the spinal cord... We need to prepare the warm saline solution and set intravenous line immediately... Its important to assess the patient for any other obvious injury... and that his airway, breathing and circulation is secure...' I replied as I quickly handed her the gown and the face mask.

'I'm impressed... Your not just another pretty boy..' Dr Choi scrunched up her nose as she put on the gown. I bowed my head at her compliment as I watched the other staffs rushing to prepare the equipments to receive the patient. It was a fight against time to prepare for what thebteam might need in treating the trauma patient.

'STANDBY IS HERE!' Dr Park Chanyeol, one of the Trauma medical officer shouted as he took over from the paramedics. The paramedics start handing over the history to Dr Park at high LTE speed.

'Are you ready, pretty boy? Open your eyes and stand at the corner... I'll be asking questions after this...Dont move a muscle unless I tell you to!' Dr Choi ordered as she rushed forward to receive the stretcher. I blanched as I saw the young teen, unconsious and drenched in blood.

All hands were on the patients, I could see Dr Park and the nurse cutting the patient's clothes and assessing for other injuries and Dr Choi intubating the patient. I tried my best to remember everything that was going on. 

'10CM LACERATION OVER THE OCCIPITAL! ITS A SPURTER!'

'1 MORE LACERATION.. 5CM OVER THE PAREITAL!'

'MULTIPLE ABRASION OVER BOTH LOWER LIMBS AND UPPER LIMBS!'

'SUSPECT RIB FRACTURE!!'

'UNSTABLE HIP! SUSPECT FRACTURE! FASTER PUT ON THE HIP STABILIZER!!' 

'NEUROVASCULAR INTACT!'

'PULSE RATE 47, BLOOD PRESSURE 78/42!!'

'Keep the vitals as it is now... Nurse Lee, give me the suture, I'll do a fast one.. This laceration here is a huge one...' Dr Choi muttered as she pressed hard onto the patient's occipital area, causing the blood to splurt on the gown. 

'Dr Park, secure the IV line and administer the medications now... I WANT AT LEAST 2 WORKING IV LINES!' Dr Choi barked as she starts to suture the laceration.

'DR CHOI! VITALS ARE UNRECORDABLE! HE'S GOING INTO A CARDIAC ARREST!!' Nurse Kim shouted as she attached the pads on the patient's chest. Dr Choi stood up, ordering the nurse to continue applying pressure on the laceration, before setting up the defibrillator.

'KIM JONGIN, COME HERE AND START CPR! FASTER!!' Dr Choi ordered as she watched the heart rhythm. I quickly jumped up to the bed, and start doing the chest compression, willing myself to not look at the patient's face.

'150 JOULES.. STAND CLEAR...' Dr Choi barked, I quickly climbed off the bed, standing away from the bed as she charge the patient.

'CONTINUE CPR!' She ordered, climbing up the bed, I resume the compression. I could feel his rib bones moving under my hands.

'COME ON... YOU CAN DO THIS... DONT LET HIM DIE!'  I mentally said to myself as I stepped down from the bed, as Dr Choi gave the 2nd charge.

'BEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP......' The loud deafening alarm rang.

'Stop CPR... Time of death 1125hrs...' Dr Choi muttered as she placed the defibrilator back to the cradle. I stepped back, unable to accept her order. I stared at the face of the patient, feeling a huge pang settling in my heart.

'I'm sorry, that you have to resort to this... May you find peace on the other side...' Dr Choi whispered to the patient's ear as she wiped his face clean.

..............................................................

'Kim Jongin... Are you alright?' Dr Choi asked, as she took a seat beside me, offering me a drink.

Thank You, Ma'am...' I muttered as I took the drink from her, holding it in my hands.

'Which field do you want to venture in?' She asked.

'Trauma ma'am... but I'm not sure anymore....' I answered, knowing that lying to her would not do me any good. 

'You know... being a Trauma Surgeon has to deal alot with death... Sometimes your patients make it... Sometimes they dont... Sometimes you get the young ones and sometimes you get the old ones... Sometimes its just pure accidental but sometimes they are suicidal... The first time is usually hard... Its just that your first happen to be a young boy... You should go out to the Hospital garden and get some fresh air... you look super pale for someone dark like you...' She teased, trying to lighten the atmosphere as she patted my shoulders before leaving me alone seating outside of the Trauma bay.I nodded my head as I pulled myself up, dragging myself out to the garden. 

Taking a seat at the bench, I let out a long sigh. I was still unable to come to terms that someone so young, probably with a bright future would commit suicide. How terrible could his life be for someone that age to make such a big decision. I closed my eyes as I tried to blur out the patient's bloody face.

'Aish... Am I making the right decision?' I muttered as I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees and covering my face.

'It must be a very hard decision to make if your sighing that much and that long...' 

'What?' I gasped as I removed my hands as I looked around, trying to find that female voice. 

'I said... it must be a very hard decision to make.. seeing all that sighing and that frown on your face, Dr....' A beautiful young woman stepped into my vision as she walked closer to me. 

I frowned as I watched her fold her hands as she stood infront of me, smiling brightly. Long ginger hair, big eyes, small red lips and slender body.

'See your frowning again... You can tell me your problems.. I've been told that i'm a very good listener...' She winked as she took a seat beside me, staring at my face waiting for me to answer. I took a deep breath in, her floral scent filling up my senses as trying my best to calm down at the absurb situation.

I opened and close my mouth, unable to decipher what was going on at that moment.

'NOOONA!!!' A deep voice called out causing her to sit upright. She looked back at me, her face almost apologetic.

'Sorry, I need to leave now.. Taetae is calling.. Your very slow for a doctor huh....' She teased as she stood up, brushing off an invisible lint from her white dress.

'Joohyun noona! We need to leave now!! Oh Good Afternoon, Dr..' A young handsome boy wearing the hospital pyjamas greeted me as he pulled the young lady hand.

'See you around, Sad Dr... Come let's go Taetae...' She winked as she rushed off, causing the young boy to run after her.

'NOONA!! STOP CALLING ME TAETAE!!'

'What the hell just happened?' I muttered as I pressed my nose bridge, feeling a huge migraine happening soon. 

 

...............................................................................

Author's Note...

Hey...

First chappie up!!

Thank You to my 17 subbies and to a HUGE THANK YOU to the 4 who upvoted this fic...

I tried to make the trauma scene as realistic as possible..

hopefully it's up to standards...

and as you all can guess (if you guessing.. if not.. my bad.. haha)

I'm into BTS now... and I'm loving KIM TAEHYUNG SO MUCH!!

how can someone be so weird, so cute, so adorable and so arghhhhhh!!!

(excuse.. noona fan on the loose)

anywayssss....

Please enjoy, subscribe or even upvote if u like!

dont forget to leave your tots behind!!

XOXO