Chapter 4

THE Couple

 

Yunho gets home that night and is surprised to see that Jaejoong is already home. He’s making ramen for them as it is currently the only thing he can make without exerting too much effort on his injured arm.


“Babe, you’re back early.” Yunho walks over, arms circling around Jaejoong’s waist as he props his chin on his shoulder and kisses his cheek from the side. He’s so darn happy that he is back early.

Jaejoong chuckles lightly at the soft touch. He turns around and circles his arm around Yunho’s neck instead.

He looks at Yunho amusingly before starting,

“I heard that you are keeping a young lover” he pauses slightly before saying, “who happens to look a lot like me.”

Yunho stares blanky at him for abit, trying to figure out what he is trying to say.

Jaejoong finds him so damn endearing looking like this.

Oh.

Then it hits Yunho.

He lets out a hearty laughter upon realising it was Karam that Jaejoong is talking about.

“Nonsense,” Yunho smiles as he kisses Jaejoong fully on the mouth.

“You know that I will always only have you.”


 

Tonight is the D-DAY for European Ball. The Student Union has been really busy for the past month getting ready all the props for their program list. Dong Bang high school is one of the best schools in Seoul, despite excelling in academics, most of the students there are well-off too. The school has its own extravagant ballroom and the event will be held there.

It is recommended, but not compulsory, for the students to bring along a partner to the ball. It does not matter if the partners are from the school or not.

Jaejoong has receieved many invitations, but the Student President had rejected them all.

Firstly, it’s because members of the Student Union are not allowed to be a participant in the Ball as they have to manage the program flow. Secondly, this is also something Jaejoong will never understand, is that almost the whole school knows that he’s happily together with Yunho, but the invitations still come whenever there are events like this.

Yunho has always receives many invitations on his side too.

Jaejoong shakes his head at the thought of that.

Not seeing Yunho for almost a full week does not help too. They were almost never together in school. They are in different classes and right away after school, Jaejoong will be busy settling details of the Ball and Yunho will be busy practicing his performance. Despite living in the same apartment, there isn’t even much time for them to have a proper conversation before Jaejoong dozes off to sleep.

They live on texts of encouragement and Jaejoong’s short visits to Yunho’s studio every now and then.

Although now that the Ball is finally happening and Jaejoong and team do feel the immense sense of pride and accomplishment,

but on the downside, Jaejoong is really tired and he misses Yunho’s presence.

 

******‘DONG, DONG, DONG’*******

 

The antique bell rings, signalling the start of the Ball.

All members of the Student Union stood in a line at the main entrance to welcome the students in. They are all dressed up to their finest, with exquisite Venetian masks masking half of their features, adding a touch of mysterious elegance to them.

“Jaejoong hyung!”

Yoochun, Junsu and Changmim arrive, dressing in their best too. All eyes are on them as soon as they step in. Karam and Yeon Hee are with them too. Yeon Hee is Changmin’s partner for the night. They are kind of dating but not officially together yet.

This is Karam’s first time seeing Jaejoong this up close. Despite half of his face is covered, Karam can still work out the exquisite features behind the mask.

Moreover, Jaejoong has this aura of attractive elegance around him, it is no wonder that Yunho will fall in love with him.

Karam sighs inwardly.

“Ah so this Karam? Nice meeting you.”

Karam is shocked when Jaejoong suddenly talks to him.

“Yeah I am, nice meeting you Jaejoong-sshi.”

Jaejoong then leans forward and inspects him carefully. This action puzzles Karam and he feels a little uncomfortable being watched this closely.

Then Jaejoong lets out a hearty laugh,

“Oh my look at me, I didn’t mean to scare you!” Jaejoong scratches his head cutely.

“We really do look alike somehow.” Jaejoong says.

“Told ya!” Junsu says smugly.

After the exchange, Karam finds that Jaejoong is someone who is very easy to like.

“Okay okay my dearest dongseangs, please go and make yourself comfortable and enjoy the party.” Jaejoong says while ushering them in.

“But Jaejoong hyung, I really have to say that this is really impressive considering the school has only gave a short notice on this.” Changmin says.

“Yeah great job!” Yoochun adds in enthusiastically too.

“Yeah there’s a lot of effort involved. Go enjoy yourself, and Changmin, take good care of YeonHee ya!”

“Yeah Umma.” Changmin rolls his eyes as Jaejoong. This guy really baby him too much sometimes.


 

After getting everyone into the hall, they shut the main door and officially starts the party. The light is dimmed and everyone’s looking at the movement on stage.

Jaejoong knows the program flow like the back of his hand by now.

He knows that Yunho’s going to be in the opening performance.

An emcee appears.

“A very good evening to all of you, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to this extoridnary event that celebrates our school’s 50th anniversary. I sincerely hope that all of you have been having a great time. We have great many performances and programes lined up for you tonight so don’t be afraid of not being entertained tonight!”

“Woah, who’s gonna do the opening performance?” Karam asks Yoochun, who is beside him.

“The dance club and the drama club. Oh and Yunho hyung will be in there too.”

Karam is really impressed, he knows that only the best ones will be selected to do the opening ceremony for this event.

“Right up, it’s a musical of the classic Romeo & Juliet put together by the dance club and the drama club. Let’s put our hands together and welcome them onstage!”

Jaejoong anticipates in jitters as the hall turns dark. All attention is on the stage.

The curtains draw, and two men ran up to the stage.

“Gregory, on my word we’ll not carry coals.”

“No, for then we should be colliers.”

The play has started.

Soon, Siwon who acts as Romeo, enters.

The crowd starts cheering loudly.

The Romeo who was deeply in love with Rosaline but soon falls in love with Juliet after meeting her at the party.

Then enters Goo Hara, acting as Juliet. Who is presented as quiet and obedient but actually posseses an inner strength. The perfect tragic heroine.

They dance around each other. (Literally)

They have successfully transformed the classic play into a modern musical with many different kind of dances. Making the audience entranced with their moves and storyline.

Suddenly, the crowd bursts into another wave of loud cheers.

Yunho has appeared on stage.

He stands proudly on the stage, eyes scanning the audience. The crowd cheers even louder at the charisma that Yunho exudes. He is born to be look upon, born to be admired.

Jaejoong scoots closer to the stage as he tries to get a better view of Yunho. He couldn’t tear his eyes off him and when their eyes met, he feels his breath hitches a little. Boy looks so damn fine with all the make up, hair style and leather.

Yunho is playing Mercutio, who is Romeo’s bestfriend and the one who dies while fighting Romeo’s cousin for him.

His character, albeit minor, is an important and charismatic one that acts as a foil for the whole play.

All of his moves are powerful and on point and his singer is superb. Yunho fits into his character perfectly.

His character dies early in the play. But even Shakespeare himself had said ‘Mercutio had to die, if not he will steal the limelight from the star-crossed lovers.’ Just like Yunho himself. Although not playing the lead role, but effortlessly stealing the limelight away from the other characters.

Yunho moves backstage once his part is finished.

Jaejoong uses this chance to get backstage and catch him for a short while.




“Yah! Great job Yunho! Your dance and performance is on point! Proud of you.” Tony compliments Yunho once he got to the backstage.

“Finally, at least I am done with my part.” Yunho chukles as he replies.

Right then, Yunho hears footsteps coming from the backstage door.

“My my, look at who’s here. I shall go and check on the other performers.” Tony throws Yunho a wink before making his move.

Yunho turns around and immediately breaks into a smile when he see the approaching figure.

“Baby.” Yunho calls as he takes Jaejoong’s hands into his own.

“How did I do?”

“Brilliant, like how you’ve always been.” Jaejoong answers and presses a soft kiss on Yunho’s lips. “I’m so proud of you.” He says as he pulls away slightly.

Yunho then pulls him close by the waist and says,

“Finally I am done with my part. After today we can finally have time for each other. I’ve missed you.”

They are then interrupted by a familiar voice.

“AHEM, must you guys be so sappy all the time?”

Changmin chides as he walks in with Yeon Hee. Yoo Chun, Junsu and Karam following closely behind them.

Jaejoong laughs at his remark.

Karam cannot deny the pang he felt in his heart when he saw the exchange between Yunho and Jaejoong. He knew that he isn’t in any position to feel this way but he could not control his own feelings.

He can only choose to keep it in and plasters a smile on his face to pretend that he isn’t feeling anything like that.

“Great job Yunho hyung, you were amazing.” Karam says as he approaches Yunho.

“Yah, thanks kid!” Yunho says as he ruffles his hair.

They have become closer after all these while, but Karam knows that Yunho has always only treated him like a little brother.

“Are you going to join the party after this Yunho hyung?” Yoochun asks.

“Yes I am. I’m gonna get a quick shower and get dressed up for the Ball too. Couldn’t let my Boo’s effort go to waste, gotta enjoy the rest of the party.” Yunho says as he kisses Jaejoong on his cheeks. 

Jaejoong smiles and say,

“Alright Yunho, I’ll need to go back to the party now. Catch you later babe.” Jaejoong says as he straightens his suit.

“Catch you guys later too!” He says to the rest as he exits out of the room.

‘Adorable’

Yunho thinks to himself  as he watches Jaejoong walking out of the room.

Then he turns towards Yoochun and gang.

“Oh, and my dad’s gonna be here too, need to keep him company throughout the ball. Sorry guys, wouldn’t be able to join y’all.” Yunho says as he punches Yoochun on the shoulder apologetically.

“Nah, no worries ‘bout it bro. We will have a blast! I think we should leave now and you should get freshen up soon if you still want to make it on time for the rest of the party. ” Yoochun says as he gives him a hug. “Laters bro!”

The rest of them follow Yoochun out of the room after each of them has given Yunho a hug.

Yunho then starts freshening up for the party.


AN: I actually went to research on the play while writing on this chapter. Oooooooooh things I do for this fic 8D