Chapter 2

One Afternoon

Chapter 2

No surprises there, Taeyeon was up bright and early. She wanted to be at the café before opening time. Lugging her heavy messenger bag, she stepped into the café.

“Ah Taeyeon, you’re too early today. We are not opened yet.” The barista broke into a warm smile upon seeing Taeyeon enter the café.

“I am not here for tea today. Unnie, have you seen a pen while cleaning up? I might have dropped my pen yesterday.” Taeyeon scanned her surroundings.

“Hm, not that I know of. I did closing yesterday but I don’t remember seeing a pen lying around.” The woman replied while cleaning the mugs on the counter.

Taeyeon exhaled, silently cursing herself for being so careless.

The barista noticed Taeyeon’s disappointment. “No worries Taeyeon, I will keep an eye out for you. Hopefully, it is picked up by one of those kind souls. You will never know.”

The girl could only let out a weak smile.

“I am not sure if there are. I guess some things are just meant to be. I’m off to work. See you soon, Unnie.”

She greeted everyone with a courteous smile as she made her through the tight corridors to her desk in the newsroom. True to her form, her desk was neat and devoid of any clutter. This was in stark contrast to her other colleagues whose desks were full of notes, storyboards, and even food waste from nights ago.

“Hey Taeng” A cushion landed on the crown of her head at the same time.

“Yuri-ah, when are you going to grow up?” Taeyeon sighed, picked up the cushion and threw it back at the giggling culprit. “At least let me know, that’s the least I deserve for putting up with you.”

“What a bore. Anyway, we need to get ready. The press con is in the afternoon. Just received the notification from their side.”

“Just as I have expected. I have done up the possible interview questions. I am not too sure if we will have opportunities to ask questions, but let’s just make sure we are well prepared.” Taeyeon clicked on the document that she had prepared two nights ago and emailed them to her colleague.

“Ah, as expected of our great Kim reporter.”

Taeyeon merely rolled her eyes at her friend. “Print them out and read through them. I am going to get a cup of coffee.”

The lounge was empty and completely quiet if not for the slight humming of the air conditioning in the background. She poured herself a cup of lukewarm coffee and tried to enjoy the short lived moment of quietness, hoping the caffeine would perk her up before the press conference.

It was another busy day ahead. Having worked in the news agency for the past six years, she was long used to the fast paced way of life in this business.

“Taeyeon?”

She turned her head around to see her boss standing at the entrance of the door.

“Soo, I was just about to look for you after I am done with my coffee. I was thinking that we should try to interview Mr Lee’s family members. Our report will be more balan—“

“Come on Taeyeon, it is still early in the morning. Rest easy, the big boss will fire me if she finds out that I have been pushing the best reporter in our agency so hard.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and poured another cup of coffee. “Let’s not go there. Drink your coffee.”

“I am being serious. You are stressing all your juniors and peers out. Learn to take it easy sometimes.”

“I’m not and I do.” She argues.

“You should have been editor instead of me. The kids listen well to you.”

Taeyeon shrugged. “I like what I am doing now, and I don’t need the extra space in the office.”

“Most people will jump at the chance of becoming editor instead of shying away from it. You need to move on.”

She kept quiet and looked out of the window. Sooyoung knew it was the end of the conversation between her stubborn friend and her.

The editor took a sip of the coffee before leaving the lounge and grimaced. “Taeng, you know how much I love you but you really need to stop making your coffee so strong. Man, this thing is vile.”

==

“Okay Yuri, let’s head out now. I want to be early today.” She grabs her messenger bag and hurriedly drained the last sip of coffee into . “Jong Seok ah, you’re coming along today. It’s time for you to get your hands dirty.”

The young intern looked at her senior in disbelief. He was certainly not expecting to be given such an opportunity considering the fact that he was just a fresh graduate who joined the agency for a mere three months now. “N-Noona…”

Yuri grinned at the stuttering boy and threw the camera bag to him. “Come on, Taeyeon doesn’t wait for anyone!”

“Yul, you’re driving today.” She coolly threw her car keys to her colleague who caught it with seasoned ease.

“N-Noona…are you sure it is okay for me to tag along?” The young intern still found it hard to believe his luck. He knew today’s press conference was of great importance to the news agency because of the parties involved.

“Seok-ah, I didn’t ask you along for just for fun. I want you to see this as a learning opportunity. There’s nothing to be worried about.”

“Yeah, Taeyeon doesn’t beat interns up so no worries, Jong Seok you’re safe.” Yuri ended her words in hushed whisper. “For now.”

“Kwon Yuri, you better get the engine going now. I might or might not beat you up.” Taeyeon threatened her friend jokingly, her left fist balled up.

The mood was light as the trio headed towards the press conference with Taeyeon managing to keep her fists away from Yuri and Yuri making several wrong turns before finding her way.

“Seriously Yuri, why did I even let you drive today? I must be crazy.” Taeyeon grumbled as she took her things off the car.

“Reporter Kim, being ten minutes later than your intended timing isn’t late at all.”

“Excuses, excuses. Seok-ah, follow me.” Taeyeon said to the poor boy who was clearly struggling to carry the camera bag and tripod all at once.”Yuri, you go submit the press questions."

Since they arrived early for the press conference, the ballroom was still somewhat empty. Taeyeon walked on with Jong Seok still struggling with the load that he had to carry. She nodded politely to some of the senior journalists that she saw, but never stopping to speak or greet. This was the way in the business. Polite, but never too close.

“Any idea why we have to arrive early for press conferences?”

“To have ample time to prepare?” The young intern answered while setting up the camera and recording microphones.

“You’re partly correct. The most important reason is to make sure we get a good spot in front of the interviewee. You always want to be as in front as you can possibly be in every press conference. Closer to the interviewee, higher chances of asking questions.”

Jong Seok nodded, absorbing the things that he was being taught.

Everything was set up and the ballroom was soon filled up with journalists buzzing with anticipation. Today’s press conference was an important one. It was about the recent succession drama that plagued South Korea’s largest chaebol, Daehan Group.

“Do you think the elder brother is going to take his younger brother to court?”

“It is not about what I think, Yuri. It wouldn’t make a difference.”

“Seriously…I was just asking for fun. You’re such a bore.”

They settled on their seats, with their laptops ready to take down important notes. Jong Seok was in charge of the audio and visual recording. Right on cue, the lights of the stage brightened up, signalling the start of the press conference. Taeyeon took a sip of water and straightened up.

The press conference went on boringly. It was the typical family drama. The elder brother, Park Dong-bin wanted to take his younger brother, Park Dong-joo to court. He was originally the chairmen of Daehan Group but claimed that he was wrongfully dismissed by his father from his position. In place of him, his younger brother took over the position. The press conference throttled on, with the elder brother making accusations against his younger brother. He accused his younger brother of influencing their elderly father into making decisions that for favourable to himself, at the risk of the stability of the company. He vowed to take the younger brother to court and to overturn the unfair dismissal.

And that was the second time she saw Tiffany. Taeyeon’s breath hitched the second time she saw the girl. Her jaws snapped open in awe as she watched the girl strut onto the stage. The moment she walked onto the stage, the lights of all the cameras in the ballroom started flashing.

Everyone was curious about this mysterious beauty. The girl, or rather the woman, was nicely fitted in a tight black skirt and a white collared shirt that is a size too small. Her posture straight, her walk confident, and her killer heels smacked against the smooth wooden flooring as she walked.

“I have appointed Miss Hwang Tiffany as my attorney.” The man grinned proudly at his attorney who was busy posing for the horders of journalists clamouring for the best shots of the boss and his attorney together.

"I will be taking some questions from the floor. Strictly with regards to the ongoing case." Tiffany's voice was dripping with professionalism, very much different from the trot singing Tiffany that Taeyeon met yesterday afternoon.

Taeyeon remained largely impassive as she examined the woman from head to toe, from toe to head. She briefly caught Tiffany’s eyes but quickly looked away, hoping she was not recognized.  

Was Taeyeon impressed by her? Of course not. She is just a trot singing girl, at most a trot singing lawyer. Nothing more than that.

Or that was what she wanted herself to believe when it comes to Tiffany.