Chapter 13

One Afternoon

Chapter 13

 

DMZ - Known as the Korean Demilitarized Zone. Think of it as a bufferzone between the two. It’s basically a strip of land between North and South Korea. The two countries are technically still at war.

 

==

“I thought they had immigrated to the States. Or at least that was what I was told. His entire family just stopped contacting us.”

Taeyeon nodded her head in acknowledgement, eyes still firmly looking at the name list. “Do you remember the last time you spoke to your uncle?”

“Hmm, probably while I was still in my final year of college. So about three years ago?”

“Three years ago…When did they leave for the States?”

“That I am not too sure. Probably two years ago, around the same timeframe where he was reported missing according to our list.”

“This doesn’t quite make sense to me. If Lee Min Sung really went missing, then why would his wife not inform the rest of his family but instead quietly moved to the States? Something seems really fishy here.” Yuri quipped.

“I am not too sure. They were always somewhat distant from the rest of the extended family. Samchon was a quiet man and mostly kept to himself. When they stopped contacting us, we all just thought they had moved on.”

Taeyeon asked, “He might still be alive for all you know. Did you manage to get in touch with his family in the States?”

“I’m afraid not. Samchon’s family stopped contacting us when they moved to the States. Even before that, they pretty much kept to themselves…Now I am not even sure whether he is dead or alive.” Jong Seok answered worriedly, unsure of what exactly happened to his uncle.

“At this moment, we can’t be sure if your uncle is dead or alive. It is highly probable that he is still alive, considering that your aunt hadn’t informed the rest of the family. Who knows, they might just have moved to the States to start a new life together.”

“Hopefully…”

“We will get to the bottom of this eventually.” Taeyeon tried to reassure her intern. “How about the rest of the list? Anything suspicious?”

“Well, we have gone through all 30 names. Out of the 30 names, only 5 men are confirmed to be dead, with bodies found and tombs checked. The rest of them are reported to be missing. Not much information that we could extract from the family to be honest. Most were unwilling to talk or give away any information.” Yuri sighed. “Seems like another dead end to me. Daehan Steel is one hell of a shady company.”

“Don’t forget who their parent company is. Daehan Group is one hell of a huge corporation. Let’s be patient and dig slowly.” Taeyeon twirled her pen around her fingers, the cogs of her mind turning. “The two of you have worked hard. Take the day off. I’ll take over from here.”

“Now, now am I hearing things?”

“You should probably leave the office before I change my mind, Kwon Yuri.”

Her statement triggered an immediate reaction from the other woman for she dashed out of the office without a word.

“Seok ah, why aren’t you leaving? Noona’s gonna change her mind soon.”

“T-taeyeon noona, can I ask a favour of you?”

“Yeah?”

“You would help me find my Uncle right?”

Taeyeon stopped twirling the pen and unconsciously tightened her grip around the pen. She looked the intern in his eyes. “Of course, Jong Seok. We will definitely get to the bottom of this.”

“Thank you.”

Sometimes Jong Seok reminds Taeyeon of her younger self. How hopeful but at the same time, how naive.

==

She dug out her dusty leather jacket from her closet. One that she only wears on very specific occasion. Like tonight. She puts on a black baseball cap, completing the look of what she considered to be a “scruffy” look.

She decided it was best not to drive her car tonight. She took a taxi that she hailed off the streets.

Taeyeon entered the bar with hurried steps. 11:15pm. She was already 15 minutes late.

She scanned the bar and found the man already sitting at the deepest end of the bar, sipping on a glass of martini. She pushed her cap down.

“Is this Mike?”

The man looked up. The first thing Taeyeon noticed was the a thin, faint scar running down the right side of his cheek. The second thing was the gun tucked at the left side of his jeans, covered by his shirt.

“It is. Are you Erika?”

She nodded and took a seat right opposite the man.

“You’re slightly late.”

“I have brought the cash.” She pushed a thick, white envelope towards the man.

The man smirked, flashing a knowing smile. It somehow sent chills down Taeyeon’s spine. Taeyeon did not have a good feeling about the man.

“Well, my business model is fairly simple. You give me the cash, and I’ll tell you what I know. Nobody gets hurt.”

“Tell me, what do you know?”

“What do you want to know?”

“Everything that you know.”

The man flashed a dirty smile, revealing two rows of teeth stained yellow by nicotine. Instantly, Taeyeon took a dislike to the man. He looked cocky and sounded deprecating. She reminded herself to be extra cautious when dealing with this man. She would act all cordial only because she needed him.

“Well, well. Where do I begin?”

“Begin with Hwang Jin-goo. What is he up to now?”

“Of course you would ask about him. The last I heard, he is still a busy man. Something about North Korea.”

Her fist tightened.

“Demand is high lately.”

She stiffened.

The man continued, “You know how messy the world is these days. Guns are in high demand, especially along the DMZ as well as in the Middle East. Basically anywhere where people are fighting.”

She clenched her teeth.

“I heard something interesting lately. Someone had placed a huge order and he is trying to fulfil the order. But he is short on materials and manpower.”

“From North or South?”

“No word on that.”

“No word on that or not enough money to make you talk?”

The man smirked and patted the envelope on the table. “The money is more than enough for now. I can’t confirm but word on the street is that it’s the South.”

Taeyeon was flabbergasted. “The South?”

“The South. You can’t be that naive to think that all is safe and quiet in the South right?”

“...”

“Hwang Jin-goo is ramping up on his production. The last I have heard, it seems like he has the backing of Daehan Group. No surprises there. A big company would make money at all cost and think they are above the law.”

“But I thought they had lessened their support?”

“They had kept a lower profile but that’s all. It’s money, big money that we are talking about here.”

She heard enough. For tonight, at least.

“Thank you for all the information. I would contact you again if I need additional help.”

Taeyeon was just about to walk away when the man pulled her wrist and whispered, “I am assuming that the envelope is filled with real cash. But then again, I am pretty sure that the great Kim Taeyeon would know better than to try to cheat her way out right?”

Taeyeon gulped. So he knows who I am.  

She walked out of the bar without sparing a single look at the man.

==

It has been nearly a week since the fateful kiss at her apartment. Taeyeon hadn’t contacted her since. Her texts and calls to Taeyeon were left unanswered, which left her feeling unwanted and moody. It didn’t help that she was busy as well, tying up the loose ends of the Park family case. Park Dong-joo, the younger brother had agreed to settle out of court. In return for returning the position of CEO, he received 5% of shares from Tiffany’s client, Park Dong-bin.

One case down, many more to go. Tiffany thought quietly to herself while waiting for her coffee.

She checked her emails while waiting for the barista to prepare her coffee.

“Hey lady.”

A sudden voice and a tap on her shoulder caught Tiffany off-guard. The poor woman lets out a soft curse as she almost dropped her phone.

“I never knew you have such a foul mouth, Tiffany.”

Tiffany was just about to snap at the creepy person when she realized it was Taeyeon.

“Never knew you came here for coffee.”

“You scared me! Don’t go walking around talking with that creepy voice.”

Taeyeon smiled. “Also never knew you were so faint-hearted.”

Tiffany’s bitter heart started to soften at the charming smile but her irritation with the older woman resurfaced once she remembered how her texts and calls were left unanswered.

Taeyeon frowned at the woman’s uncharacteristic lack of response.

“Hey”

The woman simply rolled her eyes and continued tapping on her phone.

“Can we talk? Sorry I didn’t contact you this week. I was really busy.”

“No time for even a single text message? I wonder if you were just having fun with me.” Tiffany’s voice was loud even though the cafe was already filled with the morning office crowd.

“Hey hey hey, don’t say such things. Can we talk? At a quieter place?” Taeyeon looked around the busy cafe, thankful that most people were still focused tapping away on their phones.

Tiffany lets out a sigh. “Okay, let me get my coffee first.”

Taeyeon drove Tiffany back to her office. The pair was quiet throughout the entire ride, with Tiffany sipping on her coffee.

Taeyeon stepped into Tiffany’s office for the first time.

“Take a seat. I have a meeting in 20 minutes so make it fast.”

“Sorry I didn’t manage to get back to you. I was really busy this week.”

“What are we Taeyeon?”

“What do you mean?”

“Are we together now or were you just having fun with me?”

Taeyeon rubbed her forehead. “No, I wasn’t just having fun with you. And yes, we are together now.”

“W-wait! Who says we are together! I didn’t agree to it!” Tiffany feels the heat creeping up her cheeks again. She did not expect Taeyeon to be a straightforward.

Is this because of our ? One minute she was demanding for answers and the next she was denying everything. Taeyeon thought quietly to herself.

“Then what do you want me to do?”

“...”

“I would do anything...”

Tiffany’s eyes lit up immediately and the initial pout curved itself into a smile. Taeyeon regretted her words instantly.

“Within reasonable limits of course.” She added on, hoping to do some damage control.

Tiffany pretended to give some thought about the issue. “Hm, I will think about what I want to do. When the time comes, I’ll let you know.”

The mischievous glint in Tiffany’s eyes told Taeyeon that she was in for a ride. She swallowed her saliva. “Su-sure.”

“In the meantime, don’t you dare to ignore my texts and calls again. I understand that you’re busy. I don’t really care how late it is, but do at least reply them whenever you can. One hour or one day late, I’m fine with that.”

“Oh no. Looks like I would need to buy those Kakao stickers to keep up with you.”

Tiffany giggled cutely, her irritation towards the older woman long forgotten. “I love using those stickers in chat rooms. I would gift some cute ones to you later.”

“I can’t wait for it already.”