Chapter 12

One Afternoon

Chapter 12

Taeyeon considered this her first proper visit to Tiffany’s apartment.

It was neat and cosy and a row of photo frames lined the shelves. She took a quick look at them, trying to spot Tiffany.

All of the photos were with friends though, none with family, Taeyeon observed.

“Taeyeon, do you want iced or hot coffee? The coffee machine is asking you.” Taeyeon hears a soft giggle towards the end of the statement and concluded that the younger must be laughing at her own joke.

“Well then, tell the coffee machine I want some hot coffee.”

Soon after, Tiffany came out of her kitchen with two cups on a tray. She had also changed into a fresh set of clothes. A pair of short shorts and sleeveless shirt.

“I hope you don't mind my change of clothes, I am oily and smelly after an entire day in the kitchen.”

“Not at all.” Taeyeon replied as her eyes slowly scanned the length of woman's smooth thighs.

“Come on, try the coffee. I hope you can still fall asleep at night after this.”

“Of course, I am almost immune to caffeine now. Perks of being a journalist. “

“The same thing goes for a lawyer. If there is one thing that we have in common, it would be the late nights.”

Taeyeon nodded her head in agreement and took a sip of the aromatic drink. “Not too bad I must say.”

“See? I told you it's the best.”

“Hm...but I am pretty sure it isn't the best.”

The woman frowned a little. “It is.”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and took another sip.

“Bleh. You've got no taste.”

“I’ll show you what's really the best another time.”

“Are you asking me out?” Tiffany asked.

This certainly caught the usually calm and collected journalist off-guard. “W-what even...”

Tiffany lets out a cheeky grin. “If you wanted to ask me out, you don’t have to lie that my coffee isn’t the best.”

“If it isn’t the best, you can’t force me to say that it is the best. Stop being so petty.”

“Then how are you supposed to show me the best coffee?

“I’ll mail it to your house.”

“Really Taeyeon?

Taeyeon cracked into a smile. “What do you think?”

“I think…” Tiffany pretended to pause for effect. “...you would ask me out.”

Is this chatterbox trying to flirt with me? Taeyeon narrowed her eyes and quickly decided to feign ignorance.

“I didn’t say anything about asking you out though.”

“What if I said I like you?”

Taeyeon was just taking another sip of the hot coffee when Tiffany said all that, causing her to choke on the scalding sip of coffee. She coughed and coughed and coughed, trying to get rid of the itch in .

“You okay?” Tiffany was patting her back, looking at the older straight in her eyes.

“Y-yeah…” She cleared once more. You and your sudden outbursts would be the death of me.

“I don’t mean to scare you or anything. I always pride myself with being straightforward when it comes to things that I like and dislike.” The woman bit her lips shyly, unsure of how to continue. “But it doesn’t matter! You don’t have to say anything now. I don’t expect any--”

The younger woman’s torrent of words was stopped by a kiss on her lips. Just a quick peck. Nothing more. The kiss ended as fast as it started, giving Tiffany had no time to react or process.

“You blabber too much for such a pretty girl.” Taeyeon remarked, brushing her fingers through the younger’s fringe.

Tiffany could only blink her eyes again and again, her brain still trying to catch up with all that had just happened. Her heart was pounding as she totally was not expecting a kiss. A kiss from Taeyeon! Heck it, her lips were still tingling. She felt like she was back in high school.

“Hello?” Taeyeon waved and had to chuckle when she saw the girl still zoning out. By now, she had already shifted back to her original position on the couch.

“Y-yeah...sorry I just…Sorry. I am not usually like that.” The woman thought to herself, feeling very self-conscious. She didn't even have lip gloss on!

“It's alright.” Taeyeon flashed a tiny smirk, her confidence soaring after the kiss and Tiffany’s reaction. It wasn't planned at all, it just came to her unconsciously and before she realized it, she was already leaning towards the blushing Tiffany. So she's into girls too huh. Interesting.

Tiffany took a sip of her coffee to calm herself down. Stephanie! Stop behaving like a teenage girl.

Since she was the one who initiated the kiss and being the older one, Taeyeon decided that she should be the one to break the awkward silence. “Well I swear it was unplanned. I hope I didn't scare you. I like girls that are direct and straight to the point.”

Tiffany rubbed her neck awkwardly, not really knowing how to reply. This might just be the first time someone had kissed her out of nowhere. On normal occasions, she would have been really angry...but it’s Taeyeon and she couldn’t bring herself to get mad at her at all.

“But I gotta say, I would never have expected you to swing my way.” Taeyeon added on with a smile.

“Well, I grew up in the States where people are a lot more open with their love. I don’t really care whether it is a male or a female so long as I love them.” Tiffany declared.

Taeyeon laughed.

“What are you laughing at?”

“Do I need a reason? I am just happy. A nice cup of coffee, and a beautiful woman in my presence. What more can I can ask for?”

Tiffany shook her head, blushing slightly around her cheeks. “Flirt. I never knew you were such a smooth talker.”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders. “I am a journalist. I am just good with words.”

“I always thought you were just a piece of rigid, old, boring woodblock.” The other woman muttered under her breath.

“I heard that.”

“What, I wasn’t saying anything!”

The older woman scoffed. “I may be old but I am definitely not deaf.”

“Bleh. I am not taking that back by the way.”

“It’s okay, you don’t see me taking the kiss back either.” Taeyeon winked and got off the couch. “It is getting late now. I really need to go.”

“Ah?” Tiffany looked at the clock on the wall, feeling a little disappointed. “O-okay, bye. Get home safely.”

“I would. Aren’t you gonna give me a goodnight kiss or something?” Taeyeon asked while putting on her shoes. “It is scary outside.”

“W-what?”

“Come here.”

When she got no response from Tiffany, Taeyeon walked over and loosely looped one arm around the younger woman’s neck. She kissed her forehead before whispering, “I will call you when I get home.”

“Y-yes. O-okay. I mean, no. I would be asleep.”

“We’ll see.” Taeyeon flashed another enigmatic smile before she left, leaving a knees-weak Tiffany standing at her door wondering what just happened.

Taeyeon hummed a soft tune as she made her way to her car, still smiling at what happened at Tiffany’s apartment.

She is really the cutest when she blushes. I should kiss her more often.

That night, she drove home with her heart light and her mood pleasant, probably the best she had felt in a while.

==

“I am going crazy. This is crazy. Crazy, crazy, crazy!” The intern pulled his tie loose and ranted to his heartless senior.

“Get used to it. We still have two more name lists to go through.”

“I am not getting paid enough for this.” He rubbed his forehead and groaned.

Yuri chuckled. “We are all not getting enough for this. You can’t expect to be a journalist and be rich.”

“Taeyeon noona is just being a slave driver.”

“That she is. How about we take a supper break?”

“I know Yuri sunbae-nim is the best sunbae. How about some Jajangmyun?”

“Sounds like a good idea. I’ll call for the delivery. In the meantime, you can finish up on the last name on the list.”

“Noona! I thought we were having a break?”

“We are. After we are done with this current list. There is just one more name left.”

Jong Seok groaned and rubbed his forehead.

“I’m buying you supper, you know.”

“Noona you better keep your word this time. The last time you said you wanted to treat me, I ended up paying for four servings of Jajangmyun myself…” He mindlessly scanned the name list and his eyes widened when he saw the last name on the list. “Lee Min Sung…Lee Min Sung...Isn’t this my uncle?”