Chapter 8

One Afternoon

Chapter 8

“She's digging again?”

“Yes, it seems like she is.”

“Keep a close watch on her. I do not want a repeat of 20 years ago.”

==

Even though they didn't see each other for the next three afternoons, the pair still had steady communication through emails and messages. Taeyeon made it a point to reach out to all her interviewees and build a rapport with them.

Taeyeon smiled a little when she saw the message notification flashing on her phone.

“Hello :) I have received the questions that you emailed. Too many questions :(“

She shook her head and grinned as she typed her reply, reminding the woman that she was a lawyer and pointing out the irony that a lawyer herself is complaining about the number of questions.

“Are you texting hot lawyer again?” Yuri spun her chair towards her and asked, trying to get a peek at her phone screen.

“It's for the interview and you, get away from me.”

Youth of the Year? Seriously Taeng, you're way too old for her. You are not a youth anymore. Do you need me to remind you that you're 33 this year?”

This only earned Yuri a cushion bomb threw at her face.

“I don't like her and I'm not that old. Life only starts at 30.”

“Don't lie to me Taeng, I know you have a thing for younger womenAh, I'm so envious. While you get to do an interview with the hottest lawyer in Korea, I am assigned to clear Wonho sunbae’s paperwork.”

“Where’s the report for South China Sea?”

Yuri had to groan. “I knew you were going to do this to me. By tonight? Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top.”

“You should stop bothering me and get on with your report.”

Over the course of past three days, Taeyeon had learnt more about Tiffany than she needed to. Her fondness for the woman grew exponentially with each text message and phone calls. Tiffany was naturally bright and sociable, very easy to talk to.

She secretly looked forward to the actual interview tomorrow. It would be interesting to interview the woman directly.

==

The next morning couldn't have come faster for Taeyeon. She had to make a mad rush to the studio after collecting her dress from the dry cleaners. She opted from a simple, low key black dress. She dashed into the studio, her dress in one hand and her bag in another.

“Taeyeon!”

“Sorry I was a little late. Got caught up in the morning traffic.” She looked around. “Has Miss Hwang arrived? “

“Not yet. Her reporting time is 11am.”

Taeyeon heaved a sigh of relief and nodded. She certainly did not want to be caught in a situation where she was later than the interviewee. “Oh well, time to get to work.”

“Miss Hwang! You forgot your suit!” Seohyun shouted after her boss who was at this moment, hopping out of taxi.

Tiffany looked back and saw her secretary running after her with her suit on the hanger. She chuckled and shook her head. “Oh Seohyun, what would I do without?”

“Good luck for your interview Miss Hwang.”

“Thanks, hope I wouldn’t mess up too much.”

Tiffany walked into the studio and looked around in wide eye wonder. Huge cameras, bright lights. Granted it wasn't her first interview, but it was her first time coming into a studio and recording a TV program.

“Miss Hwang?”

She turned around and saw a tall, bespectacled man. She recognised her to be one of Taeyeon’s colleague that she saw at the press conference. Taeyeon had specifically instructed Jong Seok to take care of Tiffany when she arrived.

“Good morning. I'm Lee Jong Seok. An intern under Taeyeon noona. Let me direct you to your waiting room.”

Tiffany nodded and followed suit but her eyes were still darting around looking for Taeyeon.

Taeyeon is probably busy right now.

It wasn't until after a torturous hour of going through the program rundown with the producers that Taeyeon finally had some downtime before recording officially begun. Her first thought was to check on Tiffany.

She vaguely heard a familiar voice from the other side of the door and hesitated for a bit before knocking on it.

“I'm telling you, it was the absolute best fish and chips I have ever eaten in my entire life!”

Taeyeon walked into the room and saw Tiffany sitting in front of a mirror, her fringe all pinned up with a tiny clip and talking animatedly to anyone and everyone in the room.

Ah...already friends with everyone. Seems like I'm not needed here.

The woman seemed to sense her presence in the room for she called out to her just as she was contemplating to slip out of the room quietly. “Taeyeon!”

She gave a stiff nod at the woman’s cheery welcome. Then she saw what the woman was wearing.

A tight white ironed shirt that accentuated her womanly curves and an equally tight black pants (more specifically, tight around the ) that hugged the contours of her honey thighs. Her black blazer was left hanging at the side of the dressing table. 

“Wow someone's looking professional.”

Tiffany let out an airy giggle. “You know I'm anything but that.” She examined the older woman from head to toe. “Nice dress.”

“Thanks. That's the only decent dress I have.”

Tiffany paused and closed her eyes, letting the makeup stylist brush a final layer of blush over her cheeks. Taeyeon tried not to stare too much.

“All done, Miss Hwang.”

“Thank you Unnie and call me Tiffany please. We are friends now.” She examined herself in the mirror. “I like your work. Looks natural and not too overwhelming.”

“It helps that you're pretty. Right Taeyeon?”

“Unnie!”

Taeyeon couldn't disagree but she did not want to agree. Not in front of everyone. She chose to ignore. “Miss Hwang, we would be going on air in about 15 mins.”

She immediately noticed how jittery Tiffany became.

“I understand this is your first TV interview. I wouldn't be asking any surprise questions. All the questions we have already prepared beforehand.”

“Ah. I'm still nervous though.” Tiffany lets out a dry laugh while allowing the staff to insert a microphone on her.

“Don't worry too much. The interview is pre-recorded. Let the editing team work their magic.” Taeyeon grinned and pulled Tiffany’s blazer off the rack. She draped it over the woman’s shoulder and patted her shoulder softly.  “Come on, put your blazer on. We have an interview to do.”

Taeyeon adjusted the mic on Tiffany's collar slightly before leaving the room.

Looking at the mirror, Tiffany couldn't tell if her cheeks were tinted pink because of the makeup or because she was blushing at Taeyeon's gentleness that caught her off guard.

==

Tiffany heaved an audible sigh of relief when the producer said “That's a wrap for today.” She stretched her stiff back as lightness returned to her chest.

“Good job, Miss Hwang.” The reporter reached a hand out.

“Thanks, you too. I don't know how I could have pulled this off without you.” Tiffany returned the handshake and the smile.

“It's my job.”

“Ah. Are you free for coffee after this?”

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow at her sudden request.

“...”

“It's okay if you're busy. I just wanted to thank you for today.” Tiffany added on quickly.

Taeyeon peeked at her watch. “Fifteen minutes? You can wait at the cafe right across the studio. Give me fifteen minutes to tie up some loose ends.”

“Sure. I need to get changed too.”

“See you then.”

She flashed the brightest smile. The kind of smile that Taeyeon really likes.

 

 

a/n: Something shorter than usual. I am getting busy with school work and I think it is best to write slowly instead of rushing out something that I am not proud of. I promise I would finish this story and wouldn't leave you hanging. I know this is not exactly the best story but I would still want to write it as well as I can. I am planning this to be a lot more complex than my older, more lighthearted stories like Heartskipper.